Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I bought some gear in Lidl for cycling and I find it decent enough.
I don't do much cycling so didn't want to spend a fortune.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

haranguerer

Decathlon is fantastic for anything to do with cycling. Decent gear for next to nothing. 

Assuming you have clips and cycling shoes, bib shorts (with a padded ar*e) the next necessity, underarmour or similar, socks, gloves, and a jersey. Cycling (i.e v tight) jacket, Helmet, glasses. 

illdecide

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/21748/Specialized-Roubaix-Sl4-Sport-54cm/

Bought my new bike last night...Will be a few weeks before I get it...hope ive made the right choice. Done the bike fit last night and they ruled out the Specialized Tarmac bike and the recommended either Defy or Roubaix...so went for the above.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heffo

Good luck to anyone doing the Wicklow 200 tomorrow, am starting early on it

bennydorano

I started eating about 9am this morn, better wrap it up shortly.

Hope to be cycling for 7am myself.

JimStynes

I'll look out for you! Hope to start at that time myself.

heffo

How did you get on lads? Did the 100 myself - found the hills very tough

bennydorano

Hard as usual. PB for me out of 3 attempts (still pretty ordinary in the grand scheme of things i might add), but i'm happy as i did a lot of donkey work & earned it.

Each year i've been i've found a different one of the 3 big climbs tough. Wicklow gap was harder this year than i remebered, bit surprised that it is the highest of the climbs - I think Slieve Mann would generally be considered the toughest.

JimStynes

A great day on the bike. Total elapsed time of 8hrs and 20min and riding time of 7hrs 36. A long day in the saddle!! Averaged 16.6mph which I was happy with that considering it was me and my mate for the most part but managed to get into a few good groups for bits and pieces.

The weather was obviously a massive factor today. Club mates didn't come down this year because of previous years experiences with the weather so I'm sure it was a lot easier this year than the last few.

The last 20km felt like they would never end. I was feeling great until that point and then I got cramp. The climbs were challenging but nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be and I was surprised there were no really steep climbs anywhere. Those sort of climbs just zap my energy. I would definitely do it again (in good weather). The most annoying thing was being prepared for 120mile and then when you get that far you have another 6 mile to go for some reason! My first time in Wicklow today. What a place to cycle!

Some great cyclists on show and some lovely bikes out as well!!

JimStynes

Quote from: illdecide on June 05, 2015, 10:53:59 AM
http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/21748/Specialized-Roubaix-Sl4-Sport-54cm/

Bought my new bike last night...Will be a few weeks before I get it...hope ive made the right choice. Done the bike fit last night and they ruled out the Specialized Tarmac bike and the recommended either Defy or Roubaix...so went for the above.
Good man. Why is it taking a few weeks?

BennyCake

Anyone advise on any stretches/exercises to do before, during or after a long cycle?

Anything that works for you to prevent injuries/cramp etc?

JimStynes

Quote from: BennyCake on June 07, 2015, 09:53:02 PM
Anyone advise on any stretches/exercises to do before, during or after a long cycle?

This is something I have become really crap at. I used to stretch religiously everyday and especially when I am playing football I would stretch a lot. Haven't played in a few months now and my flexibility is away to hell. I just jump on the bike and go. Half hearted stretching every now and again and the odd foam roller session. Not good enough.

With regards to cramp, is it not usually to do with not drinking enough or replacing the fluids and salts you use during cycling? That's what I have found anyway. 

illdecide

To the guys who done the Wicklow race yesterday...Fair play to you. I had a look at the race on strava last night and it would have been a nightmare driving that route in a car never mind cycling it...I done 45 mile yesterday and I thought it was tough (was a very hilly route) then I seen what you men done and reality kicked in of how far down the pecking order I am...

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on June 07, 2015, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 05, 2015, 10:53:59 AM

Good man. Why is it taking a few weeks?

I already paid the £500 deposit but i'm waiting on the Cycle to work certificate coming through and they recon it will take a few weeks...

bennydorano

Quote from: BennyCake on June 07, 2015, 09:53:02 PM

Bit of a tangent but - I went for a bike fit (Derek Finnegan in Portadown, excellent btw), he's a Physio as well as his bike involvement. He was telling me re cycling - warm up on bike then stretch, not stretch & go cycling. Post cycling stretching hugely important too.