Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzone

any good websites for a helmet.anything I should be lookin out for.thanks

Last Man

Quote from: redzone on May 10, 2015, 09:13:37 AM
You need to try them on in my experience to get a comfortable fit. They are all the same from the point of view if you fall and hit your head you should bin it and get a new one.

JimStynes

Quote from: redzone on May 10, 2015, 09:13:37 AM

I have a kask mojito. Comfortable and looks the part.

Any shoe recommendations lads? Got a pair of sidi and they're not a great fit on me. Bringing them back on Monday ffs.

maddog

Not sure if this should be in the WTF thread but if any 8 footers are out there looking a 2nd hand bike this might be the bus for you.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/rare-bob-jackson-extra-large-road-bike-10-speed-campagnolo-chorus-groupset-rolls-saddle-/1112265026

johnneycool

Quote from: maddog on May 12, 2015, 02:44:50 PM
Not sure if this should be in the WTF thread but if any 8 footers are out there looking a 2nd hand bike this might be the bus for you.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/rare-bob-jackson-extra-large-road-bike-10-speed-campagnolo-chorus-groupset-rolls-saddle-/1112265026

:o
that yolk looks so wrong, something for the circus methinks!!

Linkbox

Good interview with Kimmage and N Roche here. Interesting stuff around the weight problems. Kimmage loves a good rant about drugs though  ::)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/paul-kimmage-on-why-nicolas-roche-is-determined-to-be-his-own-man-in-the-peloton-and-off-the-bike-31085204.html

redzone

anybody want to do me out a 3 month training plan for the craic, something basic but will get me power in the legs.furthest ive went is 8 mile in 35 min.say 3 nights a week and 1 weekend.luv to be fit to cycle 80/100 mile in a decent time in 3/4 months. im sure other people reading this might do it to,cheers  :)

bennydorano

Google is your friend, any amount of them online or in cycling mags. They would generally advise steadily building your mileage week on week, rest days are important.

10/10/15 x2 weeks
15/15/20 x2 weeks
20/20/30 x 2 weeks
30/30/50

If you can do 50, you are 2 weeks from a 60/70 miler and so forth. Finding the time can be the biggest problem.

JimStynes

Quote from: redzone on May 14, 2015, 08:10:35 PM
anybody want to do me out a 3 month training plan for the craic, something basic but will get me power in the legs.furthest ive went is 8 mile in 35 min.say 3 nights a week and 1 weekend.luv to be fit to cycle 80/100 mile in a decent time in 3/4 months. im sure other people reading this might do it to,cheers  :)

I wouldn't worry about the time you are doing whatever mileage in at the minute. Just get out when you can and build up the miles. 20mile is pretty easy to get to. Then build it up from there. After you are able to do a decent distance then I would start looking at pace. Your pace will pick up with more time on the bike anyway. Best to get out with a few mates and if you have someone who is in a club or something then get him to bring you out a few times to show you what to do.

Also, cycling 80/100mile can be easy or very hard depending on the terrain!

gerry

can this giro get any better, never a dull day
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

illdecide

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/17286/Specialized-Tarmac-Comp-2013-56cm/

Guys can you have a look at this bike and let me know if its worth the money...I know its a 2013 bike but that doesn't bother me in the slightest...its value for money i'm after ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

LeoMc

Quote from: illdecide on May 20, 2015, 02:19:54 PM
http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/17286/Specialized-Tarmac-Comp-2013-56cm/

Guys can you have a look at this bike and let me know if its worth the money...I know its a 2013 bike but that doesn't bother me in the slightest...its value for money i'm after ;)
I would be expecting a better drive train for that money but the most important thing is the geometry. Specialized do a lively looking frame but is it comfortable for you?

illdecide

Leo I haven't sat on it yet...I seen the bike in McConveys on Ormeau Rd and the guy is trying to sell it to me as i'm riding a field gate with 2 wheels atm. I don't know a big pile about bikes and am sort of relying on you guys for advice and keeping me right. Comfort? I dunno. I mean how do you test it for comfort without buying it? Is that bike value for money? I'd jump in feet first unless I get the right advice from proper cyclists rather than a sales man from a shop.

bennydorano

It's good enough value imo, the most important parts of the groupset are the higher grade Ultegra (& Fsa slk chainset is class), minor bits are lesser groupsets, but i wouldn't let it put u off. Most new bikes these days are 11speed tho, this is 10, no biggy.

There's  a few 1k bikes knocking about on self-build sites, with full 11 speed ultegra or equivalents, all with middling wheels tho, but worth a look. Ribble, Planet X, Dolan. With a bit of advice u could build a good un.

illdecide

Have any of you guys got a full bike fit before? I'm booked in for one next week (£99) in McConvey's on Ormeau Road, Belfast. They say it's £99 for another few weeks then it's going to £200. I keep getting a sore left knee and splashing out on a new bike I feel the bike fit will help me (well hoping). The guy in shop said it will take 3 hrs for the bike fit...seems a bit long.