Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: gerry on December 29, 2014, 08:45:00 PM
Fair play to you jim. I done those climbs two years ago and hope to do them again this July during the tour.  Cant say I could do them all in a day. Cheapeau.
Don't say well done yet haha! I'm afraid that I won't finish it or something, it looks like a complete killer. Hope it's not biting off more than I can chew! Heading to tenerife in April to climb mt Teide a couple of times, should be great practise for the long climbs. Can't see the roads around here being a great training ground for marmotte climbs.

gerry

The descent from the galibier is 26 mile downhill which scared the feck out if me.  It's hard to get ur head around that u could down hill for so long. 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

I'm shocking goin downhill

gerry

Going by strava.  Ur not so good going up them either. ;)
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

illdecide

Just out of McConveys Cycles on Ormeau Rd, Belfast. They have a 20% sale on all their bikes and gear, I think the sales man may well have convinced me to buy a new bike :-\. I seen a frame sitting in the shop at £4k...WTF. How much more would that be by the time you kit it out...

This cycling game is very expensive (especially you professionals who have a bike for every season ;))
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thebigfella

Quote from: illdecide on January 05, 2015, 02:55:48 PM
Just out of McConveys Cycles on Ormeau Rd, Belfast. They have a 20% sale on all their bikes and gear, I think the sales man may well have convinced me to buy a new bike :-\. I seen a frame sitting in the shop at £4k...WTF. How much more would that be by the time you kit it out...

This cycling game is very expensive (especially you professionals who have a bike for every season ;))

TBH you could spend as much as you like and then more. One of my mountain bikes is worth double that ;)

This nonsense of having a winter bike pukes me though. If you look after the bike properly and clean correctly there is no need. It seems to be a trend in the middle aged cycling brigade who have more money than sense. I have multiple bikes for different disciplines not because I don't want to get one dirty  ::)

JimStynes

I got my winter bike second hand for £300, not a massive expense for the amount of miles I would do over the winter. Wouldnt even considering taking my good bike out in that weather. Salt all over the roads that and the risk of hitting black ice the main reasons why I wouldnt take it out.

Strava is going mad with KOMs!

bennydorano

The more i've gotten into cycling the less i'd be inclined to ridicule anything, if i'd the money i'd have a Watt bike, power meters...the lot.

Got an inter-club Race licence for the year as i want to give a Time Trial a bash, funds wont stretch to a TT bike so i'll have to invest in a set of clip-on aero bars. Looking at a new racier steed for the Summer tho as well.

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on January 05, 2015, 08:17:32 PM
I got my winter bike second hand for £300, not a massive expense for the amount of miles I would do over the winter. Wouldnt even considering taking my good bike out in that weather. Salt all over the roads that and the risk of hitting black ice the main reasons why I wouldnt take it out.

Strava is going mad with KOMs!

Salt makes no odds if you maintain the bike correctly. In fact I think it is a bit of a myth as my commuting bike, running Sram force, is a bit unloved at times but I still have never had any issues.

As for he black ice, so what if you bin it? You buy a bike to ride/enjoy it not mount it on the wall as some sort of ornament. You don't see this in mountain biking, where arguably the components are more expensive to replace; we just get on with it.

Mayo4Sam

I think salt is an issue, I'd to replace the headset on my bike from using it on the turbo, lesson learned re using a towel!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

thebigfella

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 06, 2015, 02:04:58 PM
I think salt is an issue, I'd to replace the headset on my bike from using it on the turbo, lesson learned re using a towel!

As I say salt is no issue if you maintain the bike correctly. You should be wiping down the bike after a turbo session anyway.

Road salt should only affect the drive train and these components are designed to be fairly robust anyway. I'd say it's takes a fair bit of neglect before you start seeing the corrosive effect of the salt.

illdecide

Can you guys give me your opinions on the following bike...£999 reduced to £800

Giant Defy 0 (newest model)

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-0-15-48993/
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thebigfella

Quote from: illdecide on January 06, 2015, 03:14:53 PM
Can you guys give me your opinions on the following bike...£999 reduced to £800

Giant Defy 0 (newest model)

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-0-15-48993/

I use a defy 2 as my commuter; very good bike (with some components swapped). If that's the 2014 model with full ultegra, then I'd be all over it if the price is right. Some people don't like the compact frame but doesn't bother me as I could spend all day on the bike.

bennydorano

Cant go wrong with a Giant. Check out rutland cycles, they had some great deals on 2014 Giants b4 Christmas. The Carbon Defy & TCRs were both available for well under a grand, you'd be coming down a groupset or two in return for your Carbon frame tho. Depends what ur priorities are.