Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

You must be the only guy that enjoys winter training, hopefully it was all in the wee ring.  Astana not having a great week with 3 guys caught doping.  A few of us heading to see the TdF next year so looking forward to The route presentation on wed to see where we are going.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

muppet

Some here mightn't have seen this before.

Hugh McIlvanny interview with Stephen Roche from a while back:

Part I
http://youtu.be/ZpBGxXTCqtY

Part II
http://youtu.be/lBCXBn3F3fo

The Giro stuff is particularly fascinating.
MWWSI 2017

maddog

Quote from: gerry on October 20, 2014, 06:29:52 PM
You must be the only guy that enjoys winter training, hopefully it was all in the wee ring.  Astana not having a great week with 3 guys caught doping.  A few of us heading to see the TdF next year so looking forward to The route presentation on wed to see where we are going.

Looks like a climbers tour with short individual TT 14km and 7 mountain finishes (5 summits) Froome talking about targetting the Giro and Vuelta instead. Contador Nibali and Quintana will be favourites. Mountain stages seem to be short and punchy designed to encourage earlier breakaways and make the racing more aggressive earlier i would guess. Roche and Dan Martin will be suited better by it with shorter TT so top 10 finish would be good possibility especially for Martin.

JimStynes

Took the plunge and signed up for the La Marmotte next July! Shitting myself and excited at the same time! I've about 3 stone to lose first ffs

Never beat the deeler

So I bought a bike.

Have been more into the running until recently, and got to half marathon distance, but the attrition on the joints means I can't go running 4-5 times a week for a prolonged period.

Got myself a road bike ten days ago and have cycled to work a couple of times (10km). Somehow I managed to allow myself get talked into doing a charity cycle this weekend - it's 53km. Slightly bricking it but I reckon I should be alright if I take my time.

I live in Perth, so the weather is ideal for it in the mornings and evenings at the minute, and my commute is all cycle path, except for the first 100m. Ideal.
Hasta la victoria siempre

guy crouchback

does anyone here do any training on wattbikes. i have decided to do 1 session a week ( might up it to 2) on them for the winter as i cannot get out on the road much.  i have only done a couple so far but it seems good enough, very scientific and measured, in fact my only complaint is that it might be too scientific an in being bombarded with data just for the sake of it.

it seems to be a lot more controlled then spinning but i would be interested to hear what others think.

BennyCake

Can anyone suggest a retailer for cycling clothing? Or recommend certain items, mainly trousers/jackets/shoes etc.

JimStynes

Quote from: BennyCake on November 21, 2014, 04:30:55 PM
Can anyone suggest a retailer for cycling clothing? Or recommend certain items, mainly trousers/jackets/shoes etc.

Loads of options online.
Main ones I use are Chainreaction and Wiggle. Prendas, Evans and prokitbike would also be good. You can spend a fortune very handy! Take a spin down to chainreaction on the boucher road and try the stuff on.

JimStynes

Quote from: guy crouchback on November 21, 2014, 03:32:01 PM
does anyone here do any training on wattbikes. i have decided to do 1 session a week ( might up it to 2) on them for the winter as i cannot get out on the road much.  i have only done a couple so far but it seems good enough, very scientific and measured, in fact my only complaint is that it might be too scientific an in being bombarded with data just for the sake of it.

it seems to be a lot more controlled then spinning but i would be interested to hear what others think.

Where do you have access to one of these? They're a serious price to buy. I love all the scientific stuff but the level I am at it wouldnt make a lot of difference knowing the wattage i am putting out. It would be good to know for curiosity. Hopefully I will get that level sometime though!

Mayo4Sam

Is that with FitScience GuyC? The boys are flat out on them from the club, throwing out numbers.
I still prefer my own bike and the turbo and heart rate. Some days ur a bit more tired and the watts don't take that into account whether ur HR does.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Never beat the deeler

Did the Santos cycle here in Perth yesterday. Was my first ever cycle after buying my bike a couple of weeks ago. In preparation I had cycled to and from work Mon-Thurs (10km each way) so I was afraid I wouldn't manage the distance.

Lovely route around the Swan river, but a couple of hairy hills down around Freo. Managed to complete them all, including one particular bitch of a 300m climb that had most people walking.

Finished the 53km in just under 2hrs, although Strava is telling me it was 51.4km, so that works out as an average pace of 26.3km

Really think I could enjoy this cycling lark
Hasta la victoria siempre

maddog

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 24, 2014, 09:24:50 AM
Did the Santos cycle here in Perth yesterday. Was my first ever cycle after buying my bike a couple of weeks ago. In preparation I had cycled to and from work Mon-Thurs (10km each way) so I was afraid I wouldn't manage the distance.

Lovely route around the Swan river, but a couple of hairy hills down around Freo. Managed to complete them all, including one particular bitch of a 300m climb that had most people walking.

Finished the 53km in just under 2hrs, although Strava is telling me it was 51.4km, so that works out as an average pace of 26.3km

Really think I could enjoy this cycling lark

That is really good for a first crack at it. Good work.