New rules on naming teams

Started by twohands!!!, May 14, 2015, 07:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on May 15, 2015, 09:31:17 AM
I don't see how they can make this rule stick, there are so many caveats as to make it completely ineffective. But, in general, I wish managers would name the effin' team during the week. The only ones they are fooling with all these dummy teams is themselves.

Within reason you are right, but if a lad is struggling for fitness, they might even have a fitness test the morning of the game, now naming him on the Thursday is fine, but then if they don't make it, you're at best one sub short.

Sure did we not have this rule amended the other month due to a Tipp hurler successfully appealing a red card decision to the CCCCCCCCCCC on the friday before the game!

I presume this ill thought out rule was to stop the bolloxology of Davy Fitz and Co, but also for the journalists to give us their insightful pre-match analysis  :o

DuffleKing

Quote from: deiseach on May 15, 2015, 09:31:17 AM
I don't see how they can make this rule stick, there are so many caveats as to make it completely ineffective. But, in general, I wish managers would name the effin' team during the week. The only ones they are fooling with all these dummy teams is themselves.

Starting 15 can change in whatever way they like from the announced 26 pool.

It makes no sense to me to announce your team to allow the opposition to prepare for some possible tactical nuances. If you think teams are in some way confusing themselves you haven't a breeze... they will know their team and set up (within injury parameters) well in advance.

thewobbler

It works perfectly well in rugby.

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on May 15, 2015, 11:21:10 AM
It works perfectly well in rugby.

Completely different game with different dynamics and it only holds for international rugby.

Ireland are hardly likely to start with Paul O'Connell on the wing with the intention of catching the french out with an early bombardment of Garyowens for the big man to chase down?

trileacman

Like anything else lads if it didn't work no-one would do it. We got great mileage out of it in the old years especially against the Dubs and Kerry. A less useful ruse now because of the extra 2 defenders but still I wouldn't fool yourselves into thinking that it didnt work.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

westbound

So, lets say I name my team for sunday on thursday as required. I have 2 lads with niggly injuries but i risk them in the 26! Then on saturday a bug is picked up and 5 of the players are sick and cant play.

On sunday morning the 2 injured players are ruled out Leaving me with just 19 available of the 26 named.

I also have 10 fit players who have been part of the panel all year, but they'll be sitting in the stand because this new rule means they cant tog out!

whilst this an extreme hypothetical situation, I think this rule is fundamentally flawed!

Simple solution (IMO) is to name players in a list of numbers from 1-36 (or however how an individual team wants to go). Then before the game, give the team list of the starting 15 to the referee as always.