Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoDat

what's the story with that o'callaghan lad? looks absolutely juiced up

Captain Obvious

Cunny Funt

Quote from: WhoDat on August 11, 2019, 07:40:44 PM
I dont see why mayo wouldn't be there or thereabouts again next year. they wont win it, no one except dublin will for the foreseeable, but they have found a few new players, won the league and still made a semi final while carrying a number of injuries through the year. they can still be competitive next year. they should probably focus on winning connacht again. if they keep an eye on roscommon and given kevin walsh is showing no signs of moving, I'd say they've a great chance of snatching it back.

The manner and margin of the defeats against the two All Ireland finalists Dublin and Kerry didn't have Mayo there or thereabouts this summer. Rebuilding is needed now and it will take longer than a year before Mayo are able to give Dublin a competitive match for 70 mins.

WhoDat

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 11, 2019, 11:15:04 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on August 11, 2019, 07:40:44 PM
I dont see why mayo wouldn't be there or thereabouts again next year. they wont win it, no one except dublin will for the foreseeable, but they have found a few new players, won the league and still made a semi final while carrying a number of injuries through the year. they can still be competitive next year. they should probably focus on winning connacht again. if they keep an eye on roscommon and given kevin walsh is showing no signs of moving, I'd say they've a great chance of snatching it back.

The manner and margin of the defeats against the two All Ireland finalists Dublin and Kerry didn't have Mayo there or thereabouts this summer. Rebuilding is needed now and it will take longer than a year before Mayo are able to give Dublin a competitive match for 70 mins.

as i said, they seem to have been dealing with a lot of injuries as well as playing week on week for most of the summer and still made a semi final. ok, the margin of the defeats to kerry and dublin weren't great, but i think there's mitigating factors there for the kerry game especially. they basially functioned with one midfielder in aidan o'shea for most of the championship, which had a big impact on the outcome of the kerry game. they've had key players spending most of their summer in a hospital ward instead of the pitch and were dealing with an insane schedule that neither kerry nor dublin were dealing with. i would have liked to see a replay of mayo v kerry with a fully fit and rested mayo squad. i think it would have been a lot closer and i'd actually fancy mayo to come out the right side of such an encounter.
for what it's worth, kerry wont lay a glove on dublin in the final and i would expect a similar beating to what mayo got yesterday for them. no one is going to give dublin a competitive match in the foreseeable future.

Halfquarter

Quote from: WhoDat on August 11, 2019, 11:03:03 PM

Ten years too late with that question about the Dubs.

WhoDat

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 11, 2019, 11:52:14 PM

their fitness levels seem light years ahead of everyone. they're finishing games looking fitter and fresher than when they started them. mayo used to be the only team who were a physical match for them, but i dont think thats even true anymore

moysider

Ok. What are we talking about here?
There are posts about financial doping here all the time. Right?
Are people suggesting something else?

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: WhoDat on August 12, 2019, 12:02:52 AM

their fitness levels seem light years ahead of everyone. they're finishing games looking fitter and fresher than when they started them. mayo used to be the only team who were a physical match for them, but i dont think thats even true anymore

Anyone taking even a passing interest in the potential for doping in the Gaa would be deeply disturbed at how easy it would be to cheat. This is a fact that applies beyond Dublin. People are horribly naive on the subject.

Halfquarter

Quote from: moysider on August 12, 2019, 12:40:56 AM

Ok. What are we talking about here?
There are posts about financial doping here all the time. Right?
Are people suggesting something else?
This quote comes to mind !

"When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck."

Hound

Fook sake lads!

Of course you get individuals, like the Kerry idiot, who will take stuff they shouldnt. But not a chance there's anything systemic in any intercounty squad, especially not Dublin where everything they take is monitored to the nth degree.
The lads to watch in any county would be lads who have just failed to make the grade, and then themselves feel to need to get big quickly in order to have a chance of breaking in.

Of course there are morons who think that doing proper weights can't build muscle mass, and some of them post here.

tonto1888

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 09:14:25 AM
Fook sake lads!

Of course you get individuals, like the Kerry idiot, who will take stuff they shouldnt. But not a chance there's anything systemic in any intercounty squad, especially not Dublin where everything they take is monitored to the nth degree.
The lads to watch in any county would be lads who have just failed to make the grade, and then themselves feel to need to get big quickly in order to have a chance of breaking in.

Of course there are morons who think that doing proper weights can't build muscle mass, and some of them post here.

I agree with your last sentence especially. People think anyone with muscle is on gear. Funny thing is I haven't seen anyone question Mattie Donnelly. Only seems to be Dublin players

larryin89

Fook sake lads!

Fair enough , I just wish mayo players would start the same programme as con o Callaghan so. Absolutely no difference in football skills in half dozen mayo forwards and o Callaghan but s&c difference between him and someone like Conor loftus is off the scale
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2019, 10:04:50 AM
Fook sake lads!

Fair enough , I just wish mayo players would start the same programme as con o Callaghan so. Absolutely no difference in football skills in half dozen mayo forwards and o Callaghan but s&c difference between him and someone like Conor loftus is off the scale
Maybe Conor should ask Donie how to build muscles.

easytiger95

Fook sake lads!

Believing this is why Mayo shoot wides more often than Dublin. Paul Mannion used to be a very erratic shooter. Now, you can believe if you want that he went off and got "juiced" - or you could believe the truth that this inconsistency was identified, explained to the player, and worked on relentlessly by that player.

shark

Fook sake lads!

Get real. It was obvious O'Callaghan was going to be a top class player when he was 17. There is years of quality conditioning in the Mayo players. Loftus is hardly a fair comparison with O'Callaghan skill wise.