Maddie McCann

Started by ExiledGael, May 14, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Itchy on March 24, 2019, 04:14:09 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 24, 2019, 08:29:21 AM
Was leaving the kids like that a more common thing years ago? I've heard a few people of my parents generation say they would have done it too.

Not in a foreign country while you are getting drunk up the road. I would say it is bordering on extreme negligence. I have very little doubt those kids were not full of calpol or something similar to keep them asleep.

Not in any way excusing it, but there does seem to be a misconception that the kids were left in an apartment and the folks went down the town for a feed and some drinks.

This was an enclosed facility. Food and drink were at the on-site restaurants/bars a very short distance from the accommodation. The only people who could access were residents and staff. Albeit the security for these type of enclosed holiday venues could generally be circumvented quite easily I'd imagine.

It's more akin to leaving your children in a hotel room when you pop down to the hotel restaurant or bar. I wouldn't do it, but it's done all the time. 

tyrone girl

Agree with this. Its done a lot more than people would realise imo.

People saying not in a foreign country but essentially its only gonna be a foreign country that you are ever in an enclosed apartment space/ resort. Absolutely not the same as heading off in to town. Lambast me if you like but i dont think it was as big a deal as most people made out. They were not a million miles away and had a decent enough checking process in place. Obviously it turned into a massive big deal as the child was taken but 99.9% of the time this wont happen. the .01 or so time that it did/ would happen is too much of course but im sure you get what i mean.

NetNitrate

Quote from: Hound on March 25, 2019, 09:24:28 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 24, 2019, 04:14:09 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 24, 2019, 08:29:21 AM
Was leaving the kids like that a more common thing years ago? I've heard a few people of my parents generation say they would have done it too.

Not in a foreign country while you are getting drunk up the road. I would say it is bordering on extreme negligence. I have very little doubt those kids were not full of calpol or something similar to keep them asleep.

Not in any way excusing it, but there does seem to be a misconception that the kids were left in an apartment and the folks went down the town for a feed and some drinks.

This was an enclosed facility. Food and drink were at the on-site restaurants/bars a very short distance from the accommodation. The only people who could access were residents and staff. Albeit the security for these type of enclosed holiday venues could generally be circumvented quite easily I'd imagine.

It's more akin to leaving your children in a hotel room when you pop down to the hotel restaurant or bar. I wouldn't do it, but it's done all the time.

Except in this sad circumstance, their Villa was nearby but off the complex on the corner of two public roads, and not within sight of the tapas bar where they dined.

Tony Baloney

LeoMc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 25, 2019, 11:23:59 AM

That looks like there should be a more direct route skirting the pool, line of site almost.

lurganblue

How can Tanner state that while walking up the road she saw Gerry and another fella talking but neither of those 2 stated that they saw her?

How can Gerry in his 1st statement say he entered through the front door, which he said he needed a key card for as it was locked, and then in his second statement say that in fact he used the side gate and entered through the rear patio doors? Like f*ck me that's quite a difference. Not a difficult one to be clear on surely.

tyrone girl

Also this Martin Smith guy cant identify Gerry McCann as being the man holding the child after presumably watching him every day on the news from early May. But then in September he sees him walking from the plane and decides it triggers a memory in him and yes the man was in fact Gerry McCann.

Milltown Row2

Who actually knows what time it is when someone walks past them? how accurate is that statement? was walking past a man walk with a child in his arms and it was 9.15 ? Unless there was some reason to check with your watch, if you had one on or you phone, but why would you do that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 25, 2019, 12:27:55 PM
Also this Martin Smith guy cant identify Gerry McCann as being the man holding the child after presumably watching him every day on the news from early May. But then in September he sees him walking from the plane and decides it triggers a memory in him and yes the man was in fact Gerry McCann.

Havent seen it and not sure if I want to. Did Smith make a statemmnt straightaway about seeing a child being carried or did he wait until Setpember when he seen TV footage of Gerry McCann?

NetNitrate

The Smiths actually did an e-fit for the McCann's private investigators, which the investigators decided not to release, opting instead to focus on the man their friend Jane Tanner saw. When the UK police reopened the case, they released it saying Smithman is now the likely abductor, but ruled out the McCanns. They also ruled out the Jane Tanner sighting as an innocent holiday maker collecting his child at the creche. Incidently, they did all that in the Panorama special that stated Martin Smith had changed his mind about who he saw - which he later called the BBC asking them to retract this. It says a lot about the quality of the police work both in the UK and Portugal on this case.

lurganblue

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 25, 2019, 12:45:09 PM

Havent seen it and not sure if I want to. Did Smith make a statemmnt straightaway about seeing a child being carried or did he wait until Setpember when he seen TV footage of Gerry McCann?

Yes he made a statement while still in Portugal. Wasn't until months later that he said he was about 80% sure it was Gerry. Also, it took him near 2 weeks from that image of Gerry getting off the plane for Smith to make contact with the Police again. Very possible he had been influenced by the change in media coverage (finger pointed at the McCanns) in my eyes so very dubious about that statement.

tyrone girl

I personally dont buy his statement. Im thinking of myself, say im walking down the street and someone walks past me carrying a child in seconds and he is gone past me. What exactly makes me study his face enough to be able to provide an efit. Also what makes me decide to check what time it is. What makes me look at what clothes etc he is wearing? I have absolutely NO idea why i would pay any attention to someone unless there was something about them that made me suspicious. He seems to state there wasnt? Yet he always points out that they had a discussion among their family about the child not wearing anything on her feet, yet the other witnesses in his party say they couldnt determine if she had anything on her feet.

Portuguese police botched this whole thing from the outset. Didnt preserve the scene correctly, didnt take it seriously enough or whatever. Valuable time was wasted at the beginning and throughout the whole investigation i dont think they had a clue what they were at but kept releasing snippets of things as they went along about Maddies blood etc to continue to rile the thing up and look like they were actually capable and following things up.

The parents werent arrested and charged as there is NO evidence to suggest they had anything to do with it.

Under Lights

Quote from: Solo_run on March 23, 2019, 10:52:39 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 23, 2019, 10:25:48 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on March 23, 2019, 09:59:34 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 23, 2019, 08:36:27 PM
That podcast is excellent! Much better layout, flow and direction than the Netflix programme.

What's it called ?

It's just called Maddie

Have you heard today's episode "DNA"
Next weeks episode sounds very good.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Under Lights on March 25, 2019, 02:10:34 PM
That podcast is excellent! Much better layout, flow and direction than the Netflix programme.

What's it called ?

It's just called Maddie

I have listened to the first couple of episodes and would agree it  has a much better flow  than the Netflix programme

lurganblue

Quote from: Under Lights on March 25, 2019, 02:10:34 PM

What's it called ?

It's just called Maddie

The DNA one is very good. Leaves you wondering what could still be revealed. The new testing could also exonerated the McCanns.  With it being an open investigation they may already have reviewed the findings with the new technology.