O'Byrne Cup 2017

Started by thejuice, January 08, 2016, 12:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Rossfan

Don't worry about us - dem Meath bize aren't as fearsome as they used to be.

Navan used to be a graveyard for Longford but not so much so any more.

Who'll be up for it more on the day bearing in mind the League is deemed more important. A good start is needed as the last thing we want is a bottom of the table scrap to avoid the drop to Div 4.

I am sure if the management were offered the O'Byrne Cup over staying in Div 3 they would chose the Div 3 option.

thejuice

To be honest this is probably our only real shot at silverware this year. I hope the lads take it. I'm somewhat dismayed by the way Louth came back into it on Sunday. The same thing happened against Westmeath in the championship last year and it cost us then. The same thing almost gapped the year before against Kildare and in the league.

This has been a feature of the MOD years where strong starts are followed up by an almost complete loss of control of the game. I don't think it is a fitness issue more likely a leadership or psychological thing that has set in. They just don't come out of the blocks like they need to when they have a good early lead.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on January 19, 2016, 06:01:30 PM
To be honest this is probably our only real shot at silverware this year. I hope the lads take it. I'm somewhat dismayed by the way Louth came back into it on Sunday. The same thing happened against Westmeath in the championship last year and it cost us then. The same thing almost gapped the year before against Kildare and in the league.

This has been a feature of the MOD years where strong starts are followed up by an almost complete loss of control of the game. I don't think it is a fitness issue more likely a leadership or psychological thing that has set in. They just don't come out of the blocks like they need to when they have a good early lead.

Would Meath people not think promotion is a realistic goal for this year then? Meath were as good as any of the others in D2 last year and honestly Tyrone is the only one in D2 you'd put ahead of them this year.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2016, 11:24:22 PM
Quote from: thejuice on January 19, 2016, 06:01:30 PM

Would Meath people not think promotion is a realistic goal for this year then? Meath were as good as any of the others in D2 last year and honestly Tyrone is the only one in D2 you'd put ahead of them this year.

I'd give us a bigger chance of being relegated than promoted.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

thejuice

We had a few retirements over the winter so we can't be sure where we are. A few new lads will need to step up and take the mantle of team leader. I don't think we'll be relegated but I can see being squeezed out of promotion.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

Excitement at fever pitch yet?

Any of ye Meath lads heading.?

I'll be there - so wil Laureleye I'm sure. Billy is lost to the garrison game of a Sundah.

Who's in the minor match?

Hardy

I'll be watching it on Sky. Don't want to miss a second of the hype.

Sure ye'll always see more on d'telly.

Rossfan

Best of luck to the Marries - a rising power in Leinster.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

I'd love to be there but I'm over the water at the moment.

Fairly new looking team out there now. Only O'Rourke, Keoghan, Burke, Reilly and Newman with much experience.

Meath (O'Byrne Cup v Longford) –

Paddy O'Rourke;
James O'Reilly, Donal Keogan, Darragh Smyth;
Alan Douglas, Mickey Burke, Cathal Finn;

Harry Rooney, Andrew Tormey;

Graham Reilly, Padraic Harnan, Cillian O'Sullivan;
Mickey Newman, Dalton McDonagh, Donal Lenihan.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: thejuice on January 23, 2016, 09:12:22 PM
I'd love to be there but I'm over the water at the moment.

Fairly new looking team out there now. Only O'Rourke, Keoghan, Burke, Reilly and Newman with much experience.

Meath (O'Byrne Cup v Longford) –

Paddy O'Rourke;
James O'Reilly, Donal Keogan, Darragh Smyth;
Alan Douglas, Mickey Burke, Cathal Finn;

Harry Rooney, Andrew Tormey;

Graham Reilly, Padraic Harnan, Cillian O'Sullivan;
Mickey Newman, Dalton McDonagh, Donal Lenihan.

Rooney, Tormey, Harnan, McDonagh and Lenihan would all be somewhat established players albeit they are mostly young.

I'm surprised that ye are still persisting with Keoghan at full back, I would have thought he would be more of a centre back in the Karl Lacey mould. Menton on the other hand had the potential to be a great traditional full back especially suited to marking big full forwards, might have came in handy against Westmeath in the second half.

Hardy

Half time in Naaavan
Meath 0-10
Longford 1-03

"Terrific crowd in Páirc Tailteann."
"Neither side flat out."
"Not seeing the bite you'd expect in a final."

Hardy

Meath 1-13
Longford 1-06
46 mins.

Cillian O'Sullivan goal.

Hardy

Result:
Meath 1-17
Longford 1-11

Great show by Graham Reilly, by all accounts. Six from play.

Hard luck Longford, but ye'll be back again next year. Hip-hip ...

armaghniac

Meath are back, the mighty Longford have been vanquished.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

Good win. Can't believe it's ten years since the last one. Winning is a good habit to have and hope these young lads have that mentality. Hopefully those few games will bring us on a bit and we'll have a good run the league.