Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

His body shape doesnt really seem to be conductive to playing top level football past his mid 30's - big boned as my grandmother used to say.

Would be good enough for Everton and suspect could still do a job at Utd if Maureen had any interest in keeping him. Getting him and Bastian off the books would save have a million a week in wages - not shabby!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 22, 2017, 04:27:49 PM
He scored 15 goals last season in all competitions, 14 the year before and 19 the year before that.
He might not be your best first choice striker now but if we got him on a freebie with wages under £100K then surely it's a no brainer. He would get a lot more game time than he is getting with José

The greedy git would want far more than 100k a week, If I were an Everton fan I wouldn't want him. He would be a big financial outlay for a player who's not good enough to play first choice for Everton, the only reason I can think why you'd want him is because he'd raise the profile of the club and they'd make a good return on him that way. I've been on his back since 2012 when Fergie knew he was finished as a player who was good enough for our first 11. I'd like to know what his good attributes are these days?

The Stallion

He scored those goals in a team which was better than Everton currently have, when he was fitter and had more pace than he currently has.

He's nowhere near the level Lukaku is at now yet would probably be on similar money, so it would be a step backwards for Everton. They should be pumping as much money as they can into sorting out the defence and midfield problems at Everton, not bringing in a finished player like Rooney.

Captain Obvious

Wayne Rooney peaked aged 26 in 2012 scoring 34 goals, he was a top footballer and striker at his peak he's nothing more than a passenger now. Zlatan is like a fine wine. When he was 26 he only scored 22 goals. Last season at aged 34 he scored 50 goals with PSG.

Maroon Manc

A rumour that hasn't gone away the last few years raised its head again yesterday, United seriously considering building a new ground.

The club own enough land around OT as far as I'm aware to build a new ground very close to OT. The big advantage that will attract most to the Glazers is the naming rights they could sell to a new ground but won't get away with renaming OT. Naming right would pay for a new ground over a 10-15 year period.

Boycey

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 23, 2017, 01:50:22 PM
A rumour that hasn't gone away the last few years raised its head again yesterday, United seriously considering building a new ground.

The club own enough land around OT as far as I'm aware to build a new ground very close to OT. The big advantage that will attract most to the Glazers is the naming rights they could sell to a new ground but won't get away with renaming OT. Naming right would pay for a new ground over a 10-15 year period.

Where have you read that MM? I frequent plenty of Utd forums, follow a lot of guys on twitter and have not seen any serious talk of this. There are constant rumours of the South Stand and Quadrants been done to match the rest of the ground though.

It probably needs to be done as the current ground is now an abomination..

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on March 23, 2017, 02:12:20 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 23, 2017, 01:50:22 PM

Where have you read that MM? I frequent plenty of Utd forums, follow a lot of guys on twitter and have not seen any serious talk of this. There are constant rumours of the South Stand and Quadrants been done to match the rest of the ground though.

It probably needs to be done as the current ground is now an abomination..

RI twitter account tweeted a link yesterday although given who the author was they could be taking the piss Andrew Kilduff or Tufy as he is known is extremely unpopular amongst red.

I still think its more likely they redevelop the South Stand but given the railway runs behind I'd imagine that will cost somewhere between £150m-£200m. They have bought a lot of land around the ground in recent years so thats where the rumour originated from, makes sense to keep their options open. Any redevelopment will be because the club think they can sell more executive & corporate seats. I doubt United would sell out 90k every week, demand isn't there for all league games. The club are going to lose a few thousand seats because they've got to expand their disabled section inside the next few years, ultimately though United would need to sell at least 3000 extra corporate/executive tickets to make a redevelopment work.

Whilst we're still at OT I doubt there would be any naming rights hence why a new ground is always a possibility.

Boycey

Decent read even though it is Tufty, not a lot of sources referenced other than Ian Brown :)

A lot of people get put out over the naming rights but to me after all the other shite that happened since 2005 if it meant the cost of a new stadium wasn't foisted onto the fans they can call it the Tesco Superdome for all I care. I still won't be going anyways....

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on March 23, 2017, 04:34:39 PM
Decent read even though it is Tufty, not a lot of sources referenced other than Ian Brown :)

A lot of people get put out over the naming rights but to me after all the other shite that happened since 2005 if it meant the cost of a new stadium wasn't foisted onto the fans they can call it the Tesco Superdome for all I care. I still won't be going anyways....

Agreed, I stopped going in 2005 once the Glazers took over but i wasn't enjoying as much as I used too and following United all over the place is a huge financial stain. A lad I grew up with has missed 2 United games played in England in the last 25 years, considering the wife and kids tend to go every game too I reckon its costs at least £25,000 a year.

StGallsGAA

Whilst I'm against naming rights in general it depends greatly on the sponsor as to how the name sounds and fitting of the club.  Rentokill Anfield would be quite apt.

AZOffaly

StGallsGAA

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2017, 01:02:07 PM
Are you 12?

Are you suggesting Anfield isn't rat-infested?

AZOffaly

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 26, 2017, 02:06:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2017, 01:02:07 PM
Are you 12?

Are you suggesting Anfield isn't rat-infested?

Must......resist.......open....goal....

Boycey

Zlatan, Pogba, Herrera, Jones, Smalling and Mata at a minimum all missing for tomorrow.

Minder

Mata maybe out for rest of the season
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"