Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: befair on September 11, 2022, 11:39:02 PM
Horrendous conditions in Newcastle today; under the circumstances Down TV did a great job.
Downpatrick's tactics were inexplicable. A strong wind behind them in the first half, they persisted with a short passing game

Yes, conditions were abysmal but I thought the RGU management got their tactics wrong and were too negative. The draw tonight will be interesting. Bredagh and Longstone will really struggle in the top flight in 2023.

SticksandStones

Donal O'Hare come on for Burren?
I just assumed that with his coaching role, and the fact i hadn't heard of him all year he'd finished up. Major injury issues
But great to hear he was back on the field last night

Truth hurts

Quote from: SticksandStones on September 12, 2022, 02:12:41 PM
Donal O'Hare come on for Burren?
I just assumed that with his coaching role, and the fact i hadn't heard of him all year he'd finished up. Major injury issues
But great to hear he was back on the field last night

Yes he came on and looked sharp enough, he is always a threat. Burren, Carryduff and Loughinisland and most likely Kilcoo in the quarter-finals.  I haven't seen anyone who will scare Kilcoo but Burren, Carryduff, and The Bridge seem to be best equipped. Clonduff but in a bit of a performance on Friday but could have been caught. I still expect them to improve and they will be a tough opponent if they can get to the quarter-final.

I never seen Paddy Burns in the squad yet? Has that went down well in Burren as they have a serious amount of players.

Targetman

Hard2Listen2

The champs did what they do tonight.
Take control, smother weaker teams, score goals & win games.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on September 12, 2022, 09:41:21 PM

They will take some beating this year that's for sure. We get Saul again - surely this cud be avoided. Does both teams no good at all playing again so soon.

thewobbler

Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 12, 2022, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on September 12, 2022, 09:41:21 PM

They will take some beating this year that's for sure. We get Saul again - surely this cud be avoided. Does both teams no good at all playing again so soon.

It's definitely a flaw in the system. But then a back door championship is a flaw in itself.

——

Kilcoo look better than last year. I don't know if that's enough to retain an All Ireland. I hoped with all my heart that a waining Laverty, PD and Choc, together with what should have been a hangover of fulfilment for just about any club, would have seen them drop off a little. But no, their destructive  ability to counterattack actually seems to be getting sharper again.

upandwin

Harps might fancy their chances against Clonduff you know. I think that will be very very close. Mayobridge should have enough to beat RGU while Glenn will also believe they have a good chance to get to another quarter final. Warrenpoint Saul should be a game that's easy to call but stranger things have happened and Saul won't be as bad the next day out against W'point. Looks set for a great bunch of quarter finals whatever the draw will be.

Kilcoo are a class apart atm. Hopefully Burren Kilcoo final. Jim will have the men in green flying cone final day, massive strength and depth in their squad this year.

befair

Kilcoo were impressive tonight, Burren unimpressive yesterday, but Burren beat them all over the field in the league final

terrifictommy

Anything can happen now it's knockout. Clonduff haven't inspired very much at all yet and I'm sure Ballyholland will sense that and go for it. I wouldn't be convinced on MB either.
Kilcoo really have taken an extra step from last year, whether that's the extra maturity or not but really are much ahead of anything I've seen.

SticksandStones

Was at the game in Newry Last Night, Ballyholland came out of the blocks well. When the game was in the mix Rice made an absolutely bewildering call and pulled Seamy Loughran back when he was through on goal, i still don't know what the call was for, D.Ward fired a ball at a lads face about a yard from rice, dont know if there was any repercussions. Linesman 5 yards away from an off the ball strike and ignored it.
I'm not saying the referring was the cause of the defeat but the Loughran chance was a huge turning point. Soon after the first penalty went in and the black card, when Kilcoo had the spare man they just started to dominate and proceeded to do so for the remainder of the game. Late into the second half when Kilcoo had a black card it was hard to tell looking on, they had that much space in their own half and where that far ahead they where happy to play about with the ball. Strange that ballyholland didn't push up at that point

MATTSARACEN

I thought Rice had a great game
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Truth hurts

Quote from: SticksandStones on September 13, 2022, 09:33:49 AM
Was at the game in Newry Last Night, Ballyholland came out of the blocks well. When the game was in the mix Rice made an absolutely bewildering call and pulled Seamy Loughran back when he was through on goal, i still don't know what the call was for, D.Ward fired a ball at a lads face about a yard from rice, dont know if there was any repercussions. Linesman 5 yards away from an off the ball strike and ignored it.
I'm not saying the referring was the cause of the defeat but the Loughran chance was a huge turning point. Soon after the first penalty went in and the black card, when Kilcoo had the spare man they just started to dominate and proceeded to do so for the remainder of the game. Late into the second half when Kilcoo had a black card it was hard to tell looking on, they had that much space in their own half and where that far ahead they where happy to play about with the ball. Strange that ballyholland didn't push up at that point

Ward should have got lined for the petulance.

downtothecore

It's a shot out between burren and kilcoo. Burrens preparations this year are mainly focused for kilcoo and they showed that they are ready to challenge them from the league final. Kilcoo got knocked back a bit from third league experiences this year so they have refocused so it will make for some game if they meet in the knockout.

terrifictommy

Bit harsh, standards have been good in games I've watched so far. Might be different from now on when the pressure cooker is turned up. All 4 senior champ games could go either way I think, maybe CPN have easiest tie. But the rest, I won't be going to paddy power anytime soon.

Liatroim on the big screen again too, hopefully another entertaining game. Previous two have been crackers