11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 08, 2017, 12:09:31 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 11:28:04 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 07, 2017, 11:20:50 PM
Encouraging Unionists to emigrate hardly promotes Unionist culture, does it?  My point was more about the double standards, given the current Republican watchwords or equality, respect etc.

I don't want anyone to emigrate, but some people do not seem very happy to be in Ireland and some are not happy with equality but seek supremacy.
You would think that ideally they'd want a wee state with plenty of fields, miles of Queen's highway and public car parks for bonies. It would be free of taigs, gays, blacks, Poles etc. but who could you demonstrate your perceived superiority on in such a place?

The idea of this perceived superiority makes me laugh. Compare the two most well-known areas to people not from the North, the Falls and the Shankill. The Falls is clean, the murals are pristine, there's one of the biggest street festivals in Europe, there are cultural centres, a big shopping centre including a cinema, restaurants, decent pubs which regularly put on entertainment, the GAA clubhouses are sparkling, a teaching college, the parks, cemeteries and Garden of Remembrance are impeccably kept, I could go on. The Shankill has a few grotty pubs, a fish and chip shop, flaking and peeling murals and dog turds everywhere including in the Garden of Remembrance.

If that's superiority, keep it.

Applesisapples

Apparently they are now Sites of Cultural Expression! So says Jamie Bywson. :-\

armaghniac

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 08:46:10 AM
The idea of this perceived superiority makes me laugh. Compare the two most well-known areas to people not from the North, the Falls and the Shankill. The Falls is clean, the murals are pristine, there's one of the biggest street festivals in Europe, there are cultural centres, a big shopping centre including a cinema, restaurants, decent pubs which regularly put on entertainment, the GAA clubhouses are sparkling, a teaching college, the parks, cemeteries and Garden of Remembrance are impeccably kept, I could go on. The Shankill has a few grotty pubs, a fish and chip shop, flaking and peeling murals and dog turds everywhere including in the Garden of Remembrance.

If that's superiority, keep it.

Loyal dogs are entitled to shite on the Queen's Highway whenever they want.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2017, 11:28:04 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 07, 2017, 11:20:50 PM
Encouraging Unionists to emigrate hardly promotes Unionist culture, does it?  My point was more about the double standards, given the current Republican watchwords or equality, respect etc.

I don't want anyone to emigrate, but some people do not seem very happy to be in Ireland and some are not happy with equality but seek supremacy.

I think I read somewhere that unionists who go to England for college are less likely to return when they're done than the fenians.

red hander

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2017, 02:39:08 PM
Apparently they are now Sites of Cultural Expression! So says Jamie Bywson. :-\

Cultural expression zones  ::). Wee Seamy is lining up to make another **** of himself, just like he did during the fleg protest, and look how well that ended

imtommygunn

He was speaking on behalf of the east belfast culture something something. They're based in ards which funny enough is roughly where he lives. Wouldn't be surprised if he created the organisation to get himself some publicity the wee p***k.

Those injunctions show the insecurity of these boys. Your bonfires are a hazard and are a serious danger to peoples lives. What - you are attacking our culture. The dup and uup voted for it too. How more people aren't seriously hurt at these bonfires i don't know.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 07:17:16 AM
It sounds like an anthropological project but was probably just down the road. NI is so polarised.Would common education bring people together or is it hopeless ?

You can't educate people together when they live apart.  This is the nonsense of calling for Integrated education.  Shared education is the way forward with respect for difference in tradition and culture.

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 11, 2017, 08:47:44 AM
It sounds like an anthropological project but was probably just down the road. NI is so polarised.Would common education bring people together or is it hopeless ?

You can't educate people together when they live apart.  This is the nonsense of calling for Integrated education.  Shared education is the way forward with respect for difference in tradition and culture.
What is the endgame for polarised housing? A smaller unionist strip between Antrim, North Down and North Armagh?
If one community defines itself as not being the other community what sort of progress is possible?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2017, 09:26:24 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 11, 2017, 08:47:44 AM

What is the endgame for polarised housing? A smaller unionist strip between Antrim, North Down and North Armagh?
If one community defines itself as not being the other community what sort of progress is possible?
We need as nationalists to embrace these bonys and make them the central plank of our NI indignity and dispose of Irish/Britishness. ;)

Dire Ear

It will probably take a serious accident to occur before anything is done.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 11, 2017, 10:43:18 AM

A tragedy is waiting to happen. Every year they build them bigger and in stupider areas.

punt kick

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 11, 2017, 10:45:20 AM

A tragedy is waiting to happen. Every year they build them bigger and in stupider areas.

Agree. What other civilized society would allow this year after year.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: punt kick on July 11, 2017, 11:52:57 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 11, 2017, 10:45:20 AM

Agree. What other civilized society would allow this year after year.

Fixed.

SHEEDY

the question is why do people build houses beside bonfire sites?? the man in the clip has a point  ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/h9K_hMsrwRA
nil satis nisi optimum

armaghniac

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 11, 2017, 12:07:33 PM
the question is why do people build houses beside bonfire sites?? the man in the clip has a point  ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/h9K_hMsrwRA

I see Titanic Belfast advertising on those bonfire videos, this may not be wise move.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B