2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Solid enough performance and a deserved win over a limited but hard working opposition.
Brody was apparently given man of the match on telly. He was great alright but his kickouts were mixed. I thought either Timmons or Dillon might have got it. Both were superb.
Others who were good for me were Johnno, Attride, Ross, Donie and Lowry. Glynn was decent as was Piggott but disappointed in Begley, Carroll, Lillis and Collins. Farrell I'm not sure on. Great point but didn't show enough in general play.
I though O'Reilly very poor when brought on. Bad decision making on a number of occasions. Strong added nothing either and both Donoher and Conway were much more impressive in a short space of time.

Laoiseabu

My player opinions today were:
Brody: As always good shot stopping and positioning but a mixed bag on kickouts.
Attride : disappointed with him missed an easy scoring chance in the first half and kicked a sloppy foot pass from a free across the full back line that was intercepted.

Timmons: really good performance very commanding under a high ball also.

Dillon: probably his best performance ever in a defenders role . Made some good interceptions.

Collins: seems very light and not up to this level I feel.

Begley: solid performance job done .

Pigott: always seems to be willing but was tackled up once in the match and lost position. Gets the ball passes it left or right but offers nothing really as regards quality . Dosent cut it for me.

Johnno: Solid performance kicked a good score and gets through a lot of work.

Lillis: Mixed bag . Kicked a good point but can come across as a bit akward at times. Should still hold down that spot on the field .

Farrell: kicked a nice point but feel he dosent offer enough to this team for my liking.

Carroll: very poor offered nothing.

Glynn: sorry not for me .Never even threatens a score.

Munnelly : some man to kick a point as always . Majestic.

Kingston : the talisman , kicked some great scores in the first half but wasn't to be his second half today . Will only get better as he gets more running into the legs.

Lowry: kicked a couple of nice points but got blocked down a couple of times and done a flew silly things . Don't think Psycho or Evan o carrolls position will be under threat from him when they come back.

Dicey : very poor , gave away handy possession every time.

Strong : seems to have slowed down a lot but wasn't on for that long.

Conway , Donoher , Jamie Farrell and Crowley weren't on the field long enough for me to say anything.

Laoiseabu

I noticed a lot of our better performers are the same guys like Johnno Munnelly, Kingston, Timmons, Begley etc. I just wonder what happens when these guys go? Can't help but think about it Yano?

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 31, 2018, 11:01:47 PM
I noticed a lot of our better performers are the same guys like Johnno Munnelly, Kingston, Timmons, Begley etc. I just wonder what happens when these guys go? Can't help but think about it Yano?
Have you ever seen a half empty glass you didn't like?

Laoiseabu

What do you mean Don? Sorry for my failure to understand you

High Fielder

Completely disagree with those comments about Glynn, Collins and Pigott. Glynn is an excellent link man and his lines put us on the front foot quite often. The other two are young and improving with every game. Their aggression in the tackle went up a notch today and I was delighted for Pigott as he had a hard time last week. I wouldn't mind seeing Collins and Attride switch as an experiment and Lillis for me is CB or nothing. We got cleaned out under the high ball in midfield and I've often thought Evan should be tried there, again on an experimental basis. There's a lot of work ahead and nobody is getting carried away, but we've won a few matches, so it's not all doom and gloom for a change. Enjoy it. What's seldom is wonderful

town1980

5 clubmates on the laois team today I'll predict we will abs murder anyone in club champo this year...on reflection Baratheon was unreal seen the replay of the game... I won't deny we were poor I won't deny we looked the 2nd best team I will admit with us yes Portlaoise boys hey lads we Sudan's won nothing up the TOWN yee rest hahahahaha nite now hahaha

town1980

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on April 01, 2018, 01:11:22 AM
5 clubmates on the laois team today I'll predict we will abs murder anyone in club champo this year...on reflection Baratheon was unreal seen the replay of the game... I won't deny we were poor I won't deny we looked the 2nd best team I will admit with us yes Portlaoise boys hey lads we Sudan's won nothing up the TOWN yee rest hahahahaha nite now hahaha
f**k up you Kildare p***k

on the hop

Good to win a bit of silverware, we don't have many days like that and a different feeling to 86 and 03. Hopefully it stops the rot. Played the first half near perfect, tackling was sharp and a lot of turnovers. Ross made some great looping runs and we kicked points from distance which is the preceft way to deal with the blanket defence. I thought we would hit the high teens or twenty points. There were problems which became more evident in the second half, how narrow the wing backs played giving them an opportunity to get around us and our inability to win kickouts. We were lucky that Carlow are coached to death and their free taker missed so much. Certainly they had a lot more scoring chances even if some of the shots were wild. We played it nervously and in fairness Lowry came good in the end. Brody man of the match which says something in itself. Timmons brought cuteness and Dillon had a great game. Half back line especially the wings still a mess. Piggot a good defender but offers little going forward for a system that earlier in the year was based on attacking half backs. Collins whether a tactic or not hasn't the pace or size to be offering that outside and that much space to forwards. Jol battled hard along with Lillis but he were poor on lockouts. With so many forwards missing we were never going to get a return from the half forward line. Three workers but bar Farrell it would be hard to see them as starters in future. All three forwards in the top line had there moments thankfully at different times. Ross ran himself into the ground, Donie had a great first half but was really poor in the second and Lowry kicked in near the end. None of the subs offered a whole lot which probably shows the weakness of the panel. Hopefully we will have everybody back for Wexford.

Tony

Does anybody know if there's a link to watch the match again online somewhere?

Esmarelda

Quote from: Tony on April 01, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
Does anybody know if there's a link to watch the match again online somewhere?
TG4 player has it https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/sport-tv-player/

Click E79 on the right of the page.

High Fielder

Quote from: on the hop on April 01, 2018, 10:08:17 AM
Good to win a bit of silverware, we don't have many days like that and a different feeling to 86 and 03. Hopefully it stops the rot. Played the first half near perfect, tackling was sharp and a lot of turnovers. Ross made some great looping runs and we kicked points from distance which is the preceft way to deal with the blanket defence. I thought we would hit the high teens or twenty points. There were problems which became more evident in the second half, how narrow the wing backs played giving them an opportunity to get around us and our inability to win kickouts. We were lucky that Carlow are coached to death and their free taker missed so much. Certainly they had a lot more scoring chances even if some of the shots were wild. We played it nervously and in fairness Lowry came good in the end. Brody man of the match which says something in itself. Timmons brought cuteness and Dillon had a great game. Half back line especially the wings still a mess. Piggot a good defender but offers little going forward for a system that earlier in the year was based on attacking half backs. Collins whether a tactic or not hasn't the pace or size to be offering that outside and that much space to forwards. Jol battled hard along with Lillis but he were poor on lockouts. With so many forwards missing we were never going to get a return from the half forward line. Three workers but bar Farrell it would be hard to see them as starters in future. All three forwards in the top line had there moments thankfully at different times. Ross ran himself into the ground, Donie had a great first half but was really poor in the second and Lowry kicked in near the end. None of the subs offered a whole lot which probably shows the weakness of the panel. Hopefully we will have everybody back for Wexford.

Always look forward to reading your observations. Would there be any value in trying Piggott at corner back and taking the shackles off Attride? And /or Fennell/Collins doing the same for Dillon. Both would be fairly attacking for their clubs i.e. Dillon and Attride. In the absence of natural corner backs like Healy, we have to develop because corner backs and big midfielders are in short supply.

Laois fan

Granted he is a clubman of mine but think robbie pigott is getting ahard time by some here,he wad giving a job of tracking murphy whereever he went and did that very effectively ,id imagine he was prob told to forget about getting forward.Anyone who seen port last year knows he has loads of football in him

Don Draper

Quote from: Laois fan on April 01, 2018, 08:31:44 PM
Granted he is a clubman of mine but think robbie pigott is getting ahard time by some here,he wad giving a job of tracking murphy whereever he went and did that very effectively ,id imagine he was prob told to forget about getting forward.Anyone who seen port last year knows he has loads of football in him
Piggott has a bit about him, he's raw as f**k, but there's definitely a place for what he brings to the table. He'll develop more under Sugrue as well if he's willing to which I have no doubt he will. There's a real pest in him and that's an admirable quality. We've had our share of nice backs, there's always room for a bit of rough. I'll not hear a bad word said about him personally.