Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Shane Mulholland - nice guy - decent enough footballer - but if he plays the minors in the "keep ball" Ballyholland style we have seen recently, then we  are doomed to more years of waste in Down football
Fierce tame altogether

Buffer

Town Gael catch yourself on, championship winners to play league winners to represent ulster,sounds very desperate to try and get castlewellan back on the map.fair play to uz lot for having one good season,it's great what a new manager can do but as we have seen in the past with castlewellan that when the going gets tough they find it hard to consistantly perform year after year,I really find it hilarious what your proposing, if the town were in ulster I don't think they would be in any hurry to play an old league semi final,league football is a mere platform to championship football,a lesson I think you should learn

forevergreen

Well fellas, has anyone else seen or heard anything regarding reported disappearance of Seamus O'Hanlon from Kilcoo. Word on facebook and destination Newry that he has been reported missing since last night and his family are very worried.

last seen in a Red Citroën Berlingo VBZ 6007. Possibly last seen in Newry/border area this morning at 12.30am.

Just highlighting it to put word out

NP 76

I saw that on Facebook about that man going missing is there anymore word in him

Mid Down Gael

The missing person is not Seamus OHanlon just to get that straight.

Line Ball

Poacher is taking Ballyholland next year by all accounts.  Some tube was on here during the week, his posts have been removed since, where he stated that Poacher was going to Annaclone.  This leaves Shane Mulholland going with the Minors.

Quote from: Leo on October 25, 2013, 11:28:34 PM
Shane Mulholland - nice guy - decent enough footballer - but if he plays the minors in the "keep ball" Ballyholland style we have seen recently, then we  are doomed to more years of waste in Down football

This would be my one big concern with Shane going to the Minors.  He comes across as a decent individual and will probably communicate with the lads on better level than Pete but his method of play would concern me having seen the way he has set up Ballyholland to play.  We need a a unilateral method of football in Down, starting at Minors and all the way through to Seniors, where we all play the same way.  Tyrone seem to do this judging by their Minors this year but where are we in this regard?  Who is there to co ordinate this?  Another example of the Down Way?  Its about time we started thinking about this as not about individual teams but a collective way of playing football.

Quote from: downjim on October 23, 2013, 01:07:01 PM
Can anyone shed light if both managers on Sunday were on win bonuses for winning the championship
It is a well known fact that Mc Corry has always had this clause in his 'contract' with any club he manages.  He, apparently, got so much bad press about this in the 'bridge that he ended up giving a few thousand to the Hospice rather than taking it himself.  This is the sums we are talking about.  I can't see it being any different with Kilcoo and, apparently, if all reports are correct Dawson is also on a performance related deal with Bryansford which will earn him a bonus of £3000 for winning the league and £5000 for winning the championship.

thewobbler

This would be my one big concern with Shane going to the Minors.  He comes across as a decent individual and will probably communicate with the lads on better level than Pete but his method of play would concern me having seen the way he has set up Ballyholland to play.  We need a a unilateral method of football in Down, starting at Minors and all the way through to Seniors, where we all play the same way.  Tyrone seem to do this judging by their Minors this year but where are we in this regard?  Who is there to co ordinate this?  Another example of the Down Way?  Its about time we started thinking about this as not about individual teams but a collective way of playing football.

1. It doesn't matter how good your tactics are, how well drilled and brainwashed your players are, you WILL NOT WIN TROPHIES unless you have a handful of exceptional players who can make your defensive tactics both work and pay. This is the golden rule of Gaelic football.

2. But any team in the country CAN ONLY BENEFIT and are MORE LIKELY TO ACHIEVE THEIR MAXIMUM POTENTIAL from their core of players working to an agreed system. In an agreed and understood system, your better players should shine, as it will be devised to minimise their potential to be marginalised.

You adjust you tactics according to your team's potential. And indeed, even to their physical abilities  - for example if you happen to have access to 6 x 6' 2", 14 stone athletes, then you can eschew creativity in favour of power.

Anyone who is sitting wondering whether Mulholland will employ defensive tactics needs to bear these things in mind. We can talk all day about how the county should have one template for success that runs through all teams, but in truth the level of defensive emphasis required by a team is 100% dependent on its individual abilities.

Line Ball

Quote from: thewobbler on October 26, 2013, 11:20:58 PM

1. It doesn't matter how good your tactics are, how well drilled and brainwashed your players are, you WILL NOT WIN TROPHIES unless you have a handful of exceptional players who can make your defensive tactics both work and pay. This is the golden rule of Gaelic football.

2. But any team in the country CAN ONLY BENEFIT and are MORE LIKELY TO ACHIEVE THEIR MAXIMUM POTENTIAL from their core of players working to an agreed system. In an agreed and understood system, your better players should shine, as it will be devised to minimise their potential to be marginalised.

You adjust you tactics according to your team's potential. And indeed, even to their physical abilities  - for example if you happen to have access to 6 x 6' 2", 14 stone athletes, then you can eschew creativity in favour of power.

Anyone who is sitting wondering whether Mulholland will employ defensive tactics needs to bear these things in mind. We can talk all day about how the county should have one template for success that runs through all teams, but in truth the level of defensive emphasis required by a team is 100% dependent on its individual abilities.

I would nearly think you were on the beer with all those CAPS LOCKS PHRASES you were trying to EMPHASISE.
Take a pint of water, go to bed and see how you feel tomorrow,

thewobbler

I think I'll do that. But all the same it's MOST INTERESTING that you'd prefer to discuss letter cases than your original comments.

Line Ball

Quote from: thewobbler on October 26, 2013, 11:46:29 PM
I think I'll do that. But all the same it's MOST INTERESTING that you'd prefer to discuss letter cases than your original comments.

Not a problem.  I'll reply to your post tomorrow when it will make more sense.  Codladh Samh

Down Follower

Kilcoo v Cross - Who will take it?

Buffer

Cross are I unstoppable form but I would ryt the magpies off

SHEEDY

Quote from: Down Follower on October 31, 2013, 05:00:18 PM
Kilcoo v Cross - Who will take it?
really think kilcoo have a great chance in this match. have them backed at 11/4. kilcoo will be looking to keep it tight going into the last 10mins and if they can I think they can nick it by a couple of points.
nil satis nisi optimum

bigfrank

We keep saying teams will never get a better chance to beat cross but it nevers happens,but I think it will at some stage in ulster,wouldnt be surprised if its sunday,kilcoo showed great character to bounce back and win down again after huge win over burren,should be a cracker,also a big day for teeconnaught in the opening game,small club after winning there first down title I believe,they will be on a crest of a wave

Buffer

Who cares about a stupid league match when there's serious football to be played