Irish Government/IRFU to bid for 2023 RWC

Started by Feckitt, November 18, 2013, 03:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2013, 11:17:56 AM
I can only imagine that the outlay of £80m will be revised for future tournaments.

Either that or the relevant RFU will need to tap the local tourist board(s) for a strong sub.

Brian Moore argued quite convincingly on TalkSport this morning that IRB need this 80m levy, as a) it's their only income, b) it only happens every 4 years, c) they plough every penny of it back into promoting and supporting grassroots rugby worldwide. I agreed with him until I saw the ticket prices below.

But I'm confused. Where does sponsorship and TV revenue from a RWC go then, if not directly to IRB? Should that not be their source of revenue, along with a smaller stipend from the host country?

if not the IRB, then it has to be the organising rugby board, in this case the English RFU, so you'd think that between ticketing and media rights the 80M wouldn't be such a big stretch.

thewobbler

Quote from: Canalman on November 28, 2013, 11:15:14 AM
Pie in the sky stuff. Won't be able to satisfy rules in relation to hotel rooms, transport access, etc etc. Good chance though if Ireland/ Wales and Scotland combined. Dublin , Limerick and Belfast would be the venues with maybe Cork at a stretch.
The last RWC was in New Zealand. I don't have the figures, but I'd be pretty sure Ireland's transport link and accommodation option are significantly stronger (when ROI and NI are combined).

CD

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2013, 11:21:28 AM
Pie in the sky stuff. Won't be able to satisfy rules in relation to hotel rooms, transport access, etc etc. Good chance though if Ireland/ Wales and Scotland combined. Dublin , Limerick and Belfast would be the venues with maybe Cork at a stretch.
The last RWC was in New Zealand. I don't have the figures, but I'd be pretty sure Ireland's transport link and accommodation option are significantly stronger (when ROI and NI are combined).

7 million tourist visitors in 2012. (and going to be higher when 2013 figures are released)  Think we'll find a seat on a bus and a scratcher for a few thousand rugby fans.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Mayo could easily accommodate visitors, all it needs is busses laid on linking Castlebar to Westport, Ballina, Claremorris etc and trains shipping them down from Roscommon and Athlone. NAMA could make a rental bomb.

I'm sure other places could easily cope.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AZOffaly

The mid west/south west area would have no problem swallowing up a pool, in terms of venues, supporters and teams. Every hotel in Clare, Limerick, North Tipp, and North Kerry would lick their lips at the thoughts of games in Limerick, and if you used Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney as well, the hotels down there would be orgasmic.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 28, 2013, 11:44:09 AM
The mid west/south west area would have no problem swallowing up a pool, in terms of venues, supporters and teams. Every hotel in Clare, Limerick, North Tipp, and North Kerry would lick their lips at the thoughts of games in Limerick, and if you used Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney as well, the hotels down there would be orgasmic.

I think Canalman was on the wind up, him never having seen beyond The Pale.

'maybe Cork at a stretch' is hardly a serious contribution.
MWWSI 2017

Canalman

Quote from: muppet on November 28, 2013, 12:36:06 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 28, 2013, 11:44:09 AM

I think Canalman was on the wind up, him never having seen beyond The Pale.

'maybe Cork at a stretch' is hardly a serious contribution.

Yeah was being a bit mischievous alright.

Still think though we don't quiet have the infrastructure to host the RWC all on our own. Big difference in the crowds coming to Ireland for a WC and going to NZ in 2011. Can't imagine that most teams brought any more than 2,000 or so supporters to NZ given the distances.

Still think that a dual/ triple bid with our Celtic cousins would be the best way forward.

GAA grounds would need serious facelifts though imo.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on November 28, 2013, 12:47:49 PM

My biggest concern is that a point would be reached where the IRB will say "yeah, you have a chance but some of the grounds look a little grotty for a global audience". Before we know it the meeja and the politicians are denouncing the GAA for not spending its own money to bring the grounds up to scratch for reasons that are of no direct use to the GAA but are very much In The National Interest.

grounded

Quote from: CD on November 28, 2013, 11:30:14 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2013, 11:21:28 AM

7 million tourist visitors in 2012. (and going to be higher when 2013 figures are released)  Think we'll find a seat on a bus and a scratcher for a few thousand rugby fans.

133,000 travelled to NZ in 2011 for the RWC. http://www.med.govt.nz/sectors-industries/tourism/news/rugby-world-cup-visitors-spent-390-million

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Iarnrod Eireann, Bus Eireann, Ulster Bus, private operators, Northern Irish Railways, Aer Lingus, Irish Ferries, Ryanair, Aer Arann etc. would all be happy bunnies.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Quote from: deiseach on November 28, 2013, 12:54:16 PM

My biggest concern is that a point would be reached where the IRB will say "yeah, you have a chance but some of the grounds look a little grotty for a global audience". Before we know it the meeja and the politicians are denouncing the GAA for not spending its own money to bring the grounds up to scratch for reasons that are of no direct use to the GAA but are very much In The National Interest.
Since when did rubby become our National game? that we're all supposed to fall over backwards to accomodate them to have their "World"( yeah right) Cup.
In the immortal words of Jack Boothman " Tell them to feck off".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

There was grass banking behind the goals in some of the stadiums in NZ. I doubt they are going to turn every stadium being used ,into all seater arenas. An upgrade obviously, but hardly essential to have every stadium  seated.

mc_grens

Quote from: Rossfan on November 28, 2013, 02:05:29 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 28, 2013, 12:54:16 PM

Since when did rubby become our National game? that we're all supposed to fall over backwards to accomodate them to have their "World"( yeah right) Cup.
In the immortal words of Jack Boothman " Tell them to feck off".

I don't think anyone's saying it's the national game! The economic boost, particularly to the construction industry would be great, and it might help bring some of those forced to leave the country home. That's no bad thing.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 28, 2013, 02:12:23 PM
There was grass banking behind the goals in some of the stadiums in NZ. I doubt they are going to turn every stadium being used ,into all seater arenas. An upgrade obviously, but hardly essential to have every stadium  seated.

What you tend to find in this case (Super 15/NRL grounds) is that the two stands running either side of the touchline are of very high spec, with grass banks behind their goals. Australia and to a lesser extent NZ have the climate to accomodate such facilities.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 28, 2013, 02:16:44 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 28, 2013, 02:12:23 PM

What you tend to find in this case (Super 15/NRL grounds) is that the two stands running either side of the touchline are of very high spec, with grass banks behind their goals. Australia and to a lesser extent NZ have the climate to accomodate such facilities.

Yeah I guess so, NZ can get its fair share of the rain at times too.

Point I was making was some stadiums here could use terrace as they already do