Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2013, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 20, 2013, 10:34:59 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 20, 2013, 08:39:03 AM
I was in Thomond park so I didn't see this, but I heard the last 10 minutes on the radio. I heard Peter canavan mentio our lads 'soccer styling' several times. Was there a lot of that again?

Sean Cavanagh was the biggest culprit. When he played Gaelic Football, he wanted to tackle people Aussie Rules style. When he plays Aussie Rules, he wants to play soccer!! In fairness to Cavanagh he stood out as one of Ireland's better performers. Paul Flynn, Aidan Walsh, Jack McCaffrey and Ross Munnelly also played well.

Sean Cavanagh seems to be an easy target and a hate figure for most people on this board (outside of Tyrone). Any time I see him play he's been great to watch and in interviews comes across as a nice fella. Go out to your county finals today and you'll see plenty of those tackles and dives. There won't be character assassinations afterwards in the press/media either.

The amount of 'honest' players on this board would sicken your hole :o

I would be a big Sean Cavanagh fan so relax. There's no hate in my post and I'm certainly not trying to make him a "hate" figure. He's a brilliant footballer and a great example to to every other Gaelic Footballer.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: lawnseed on October 20, 2013, 11:53:57 AM
I was in Thomond park so I didn't see this, but I heard the last 10 minutes on the radio. I heard Peter canavan mentio our lads 'soccer styling' several times. Was there a lot of that again?

Sean Cavanagh was the biggest culprit. When he played Gaelic Football, he wanted to tackle people Aussie Rules style. When he plays Aussie Rules, he wants to play soccer!! In fairness to Cavanagh he stood out as one of Ireland's better performers. Paul Flynn, Aidan Walsh, Jack McCaffrey and Ross Munnelly also played well.
sean Cavanagh would stroll on to any county side in the country. sean does what it takes to win.. he was through on goal twice in last nights game and had he received a return pass would have bagged two goals..
i'll bet he hooks up with connor McManus in the second game for a couple of goals

Are you disagreeing with anything in my post or just making a point of your own of no relevance to my post?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 20, 2013, 12:12:20 PM

Sean Cavanagh seems to be an easy target and a hate figure for most people on this board (outside of Tyrone). Any time I see him play he's been great to watch and in interviews comes across as a nice fella. Go out to your county finals today and you'll see plenty of those tackles and dives. There won't be character assassinations afterwards in the press/media either.

I would be a big Sean Cavanagh fan so relax. There's no hate in my post and I'm certainly not trying to make him a "hate" figure. He's a brilliant footballer and a great example to to every other Gaelic Footballer.

But there is a trend don't you think? I'd love to have a player like that playing for Antrim (as would most counties), Christ I've watched him destroy us a few times over the years! It's the posters who run him down that I have a point with, if put in the same position themselves in a match would probably do same thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sea The Stars

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2013, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 20, 2013, 12:12:20 PM

But there is a trend don't you think? I'd love to have a player like that playing for Antrim (as would most counties), Christ I've watched him destroy us a few times over the years! It's the posters who run him down that I have a point with, if put in the same position themselves in a match would probably do same thing

Yes the criticism of Cavanagh is unjust. He has an edge to his game that others lack. He's ahead of his time. That's my opinion anyway. I disagree that others would do the same as Cavanagh though - not for want of maintaining certain principles of the game but because very few players are as instinctive as Cavanagh. He usually takes the right decision in every situation he's presented with - a natural footballer.

Rossfan

Quote from: rrhf on October 20, 2013, 07:25:57 AM
Properly placed interpros would gain this crowd a fraction of the cost and with a real sport.

They've tried everything with those Inter pros and still the public don't care.
Tough but face reality - No one is interested except the players and a fewunrealistic  Ulsterites .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Can't believe anyone is trying to make the Railway Cup argument again and with the same daft points!!!

It was poor fare in the main and I certainly wouldn't be in favour of it on a regular basis but players like it and the public attend it, if one or both of those ceased to be the case then scrap it.

The player burnout issue is far bigger than IR and should be addressed (along with club players twiddling their thumbs) properly but it won't. The IR certainly isn't the place to start with if it ever is addressed.

outinfront

Starting to actually think it Was better when they beat the shite outta each other. That was fairly tame.

Sidney

There's a logic in a lot of situations to dribbling the ball on the ground as you can't be tackled without having possession of the ball in your hands. Whereas the ideal kick pass in Gaelic football (ie the Colm Cooper-type pass where the ball bounces before it reaches the player) is a no-no in this game as the receiving player is immediately creamed out of it by a tackle.

rodney trotter

Australia missed an open goal in the 3rd quarter which would have put 2pts in it going into the final quarter. They were just slow to get going. I think next week should be a decent game.

Sidney

Quote from: outinfront on October 20, 2013, 01:10:42 PM
Starting to actually think it Was better when they beat the shite outta each other. That was fairly tame.
Nobody can say that the second match in 2006 didn't have the atmosphere of a serious sporting event. There was genuine anticipation for it and the Australians took it deadly seriously, as was shown on the pitch.

I've a certain amount of sympathy for the media line the Australians took after that match. It's either a serious test match, or it's tame exhibition stuff like last night.  And if it's a serious test match, you can't really blame players for doing what they feel is necessary to win, within what they feel they can get away with.

There have been some good series in this event. 1998 and 2002 were very enjoyable. The second match 2006 as I said had the air of a serious sporting event. The 1999, 2003 and 2005 series were very well contested. But both teams took those series pretty seriously.

There's been a real half-assedness about the promotion of every series since 2006. If the GAA and AFL are going to be half-assed about it and completely sanitise it, they might as well not play it.

rodney trotter

The second test in 2010 was a brilliant game, Australia won by 3 won by and won the series.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbt7p7DKes
  Don't think it will be as good as that next week, but we can only hope. Buddy Franklin going back to Australia is a big loss for the Indigenous team

BennyCake

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 20, 2013, 01:40:59 PM
The second test in 2010 was a brilliant game, Australia won by 3 won by and won the series.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbt7p7DKes
  Don't think it will be as good as that next week, but we can only hope. Buddy Franklin going back to Australia is a big loss for the Indigenous team

2010 second test was a really good game. Cluxton lost that game for Ireland. His kicking was atrocious. He gave away umpteen points.

Rossfan

Quote from: tommysmith on October 20, 2013, 11:53:20 AM
I haven't read back the thread, has anyone mentioned how dung it was?
Dung, Crap Muck... take your pick from almost half the posts. :D
Then we had all those lads who have no interest in it yet took up 8 or 9 pages posting about it ::)
And to cap it all some lad starting talking about getting crowds of 17,000 at the effin dodo Railway Cup.
If it wasn't for the Rules sure we'd all be talking about alternative Championship systems
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on October 20, 2013, 12:49:44 PM
Can't believe anyone is trying to make the Railway Cup argument again and with the same daft points!!!

It was poor fare in the main and I certainly wouldn't be in favour of it on a regular basis but players like it and the public attend it, if one or both of those ceased to be the case then scrap it.

The player burnout issue is far bigger than IR and should be addressed (along with club players twiddling their thumbs) properly but it won't. The IR certainly isn't the place to start with if it ever is addressed.

its an extra 2-3 months training that is not required IMO Zulu.

Jinxy

It's a vanity project for the GAA and the players, which represents the worst of two fantastic sports (sponsored by a hateful rag, I might add).
I doubt we'll see it again after this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.