P.D.'s = Politically dead?

Started by Owenmoresider, September 17, 2008, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

According to p.ie anyway. Looks like the old anti-Haughey crowd are getting off the stage, twas inevitable really:

Link: http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41149

J70

Pangurban

Declan

Which will leave us in the fantastic situation that Health portfolio is being run by an independent TD - Unreal.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Mentalman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 17, 2008, 12:20:53 PM
Though in terms of political ideology I would be a fair bit away from the P.D's I actually find it a shame that they are winding up. In the Republic where it's hard to tell apart the political and social stance by the main parties, at least you knew where the P.D's stood.

Problem was though that's increasingly where Fianna Fail stood, thanks to pseudo PDs like McCreevy & Cullen - they basically cherry picked their policies. What was seen as liberal economics at their foundation are now mainstream. Then once they stopped being the conscience of FF what were they there for?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

BallyhaiseMan

Mentalman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 17, 2008, 12:39:01 PM
Quote from: Mentalman on September 17, 2008, 12:26:57 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 17, 2008, 12:20:53 PM
Though in terms of political ideology I would be a fair bit away from the P.D's I actually find it a shame that they are winding up. In the Republic where it's hard to tell apart the political and social stance by the main parties, at least you knew where the P.D's stood.

Problem was though that's increasingly where Fianna Fail stood, thanks to pseudo PDs like McCreevy & Cullen - they basically cherry picked their policies. What was seen as liberal economics at their foundation are now mainstream. Then once they stopped being the conscience of FF what were they there for?
The thing is though is that did the PD's morph into more like FF or was it the other way about? I'd be inclined to see that FF basically took on the PD's, took their best bits and made them the fall guys of anything that went wrong. The Greens are the next to be bitten by them. A popularist party like FF will always morph into whatever keeps them in power, at the sacrifice of any real firm identity.

I suppose when you stop being FF's conscience the only thing you can try and do is stand up for yourself and not be bullied. That's exactly what happened to them and they've paid for it, perhaps too eager to cling on to power at whatever cost and this is happening now to the Greens.

Would agree, the Green's are the next set of policies to be assimilated for the sake of popularism. They will also bear the brunt of the backlash from discontented voters similar to the PDs & Labour previously. Power for power's sake is FF raison d'etre and they are very good at it. The biggest mistakes the PD's made over the last 15 odd years in power was vanity - vanity in taking on the health and justice portfolios to prove they could make a difference, when they should have stuck to enterprise & tried for finance where their policies were already successful.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

muppet

The anti-Haughey party that put Haughey back in power. Then they got worse.

Nothing sums up the PDs bone fides than that.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2008, 03:11:48 PM
The anti-Haughey party that put Haughey back in power. Then they got worse.

By putting his corrupt aprentice in power time after time.

Bord na Mona man

The PDs were needed back in the 80s when the country was in a bad way economically.
There isn't much use for them now though.

J70

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 17, 2008, 06:52:45 PM
The PDs were needed back in the 80s when the country was in a bad way economically.
There isn't much use for them now though.

They're basically obsolete now I suppose. Ireland has become much more liberal in terms of economics and social issues than it was back then.

Rossfan

It will be one of the happiest days of my life when that shower of ***********s wind up as they were nothing but a cancer on the fair face of my country. :D ;D
And to think that we in Ros let ourselves be represented by a Longford PD  from 2002 to 2007.
The eternal shame of it. :-[ :-[ :-[

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE BSATRADS .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

kingsarse

A sad day. Mark my words, we will all regret their passing in years to come, when vested interests, public sector unions primary among them, drive this country into the ground again.

Zapatista

Quote from: kingsarse on September 17, 2008, 09:42:17 PM
A sad day. Mark my words, we will all regret their passing in years to come, when vested interests, public sector unions primary among them, drive this country into the ground again.

Take a look around ye FFS.