The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

1-1 currently at the Lane, but that's not the main story, as Jol is heading out the door:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2741245.ece

ExiledGael

Amazing stuff, apparently he was unaware at the start of the match that he was sacked.
What a club!

inisceithleann

As a manager you live and die by the results, but I feel sorry for him. Seems like a genuine football man and has built a nice team at Spurs. What the hell went wrong? However inherits the team has great potential at their disposal.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Balboa

Spurs have a team full of over hyped, under achieving wasters, Defoe,Jenas,Robinson etc

An Gaeilgoir

As a Spurs man, this is typical beheviour of Levy.......who claims to be a real Spurs fan.... my hole! If Jol goes, a pity really,a good manager and a real decent skin. He wouldn't be the worst man for the Ireland job. Just been offically announced...Jol is gone,he resigned before tonights game.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: Balboa on October 25, 2007, 10:02:35 PM
Spurs have a team full of over hyped, under achieving wasters, Defoe,Jenas,Robinson etc

It's no surprise when you mention over hyped, under achieving wasters that 3 English players come to mind. The Premiership is full of such players.

Spurs have shown a distinct lack of class in the way they handled the Jol situation, especially be speaking to another clubs manager while Jol was still in charge. It is also scandalous that news of his sacking was circulating around the ground before there was an official statement.

I hope Jol goes somewhere and has success. He is a very likeable bloke who was let down by players who couldn't carry out their basic roles. The injury to King hurt him as well and if I was to be critical of him he spent money foolishly during the summer. He should have bought a good goalkeeper, a good centre half and a couple of quality midfielders.

spiritof91and94

Spurs are acting like a big club and need to realise they are a long way off the mark, they remind me of Leeds (who went bust) and Newcastle (who were saved by a take over). This Ramos guy they are apparently going to appoint has had 10 clubs in 15 years and seems another journey man, he got lucky meeting Middlesboro in the Uefa cup final 2 seasons ago and then won it again when really Spurs should have dumped them earlier, and the talk of a 3million pound contract is ludicrous to say the least as he will need at least two seasons to sort the club out.
The Uefa cup is after all a third rate cup and it has to be remembered spurs are in this bracket.

ONeill

David Pleat, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat (again), Jacques Santini, Martin Jol .....Wenger remains undefeated.

In fact, since Wenger took charge of Arsenal Spurs have had:

1997 Chris Hughton (caretaker)
1997  Christian Gross
1998  David Pleat (caretaker)
1998  George Graham
2001  David Pleat (caretaker)
2001  Glenn Hoddle
2003  David Pleat (caretaker)
2004  Jacques Santini
2004  Martin Jol

Therein lies the problem. The board are at fault.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nifan

Feel a bit sorry for Jol, he seemed as someone said a good bloke.

Watching Hoddle and Graham fail was infinately more enjoyable.

full back

It seems that the board & Levy in particular will never accept responsibility.
Granted, sometimes the manager is sh1te, but there have been about 7 different ones in ten years. Not much stability there.

T Fearon

Spirit of 91 amd 94, excellent regurgitation of the Talksport Breakfast show this morning and rehashing it as if it was your own original idea.

Bad the way it was done alright but Jol messed up big time when the chips were really down. West Ham in 2006 when a Champions League place was within grasp, and last year against Seville at White Hart Lane with the concession of two piss poor early goals and the throwing away of two goal leads against the Goons and Chelsea in the Carling Cup and FA Cup. Likeable and all that he is I don't think he was ever going to take us over the line and probably should have gone in the summer, and Camolli should have gone with him.

Feel sorry for Chris Hughton, great Irish player and a source of stability at the club for the last ten years.

What surprises me is why the lack of apparent interest in Klinsmann who has publicly stated he wants to work in London

Pietas

Why should anyone feel sorry for Chris Hughton given the way the Tottenham defence has performed this season?  To be frank, anyone who comments on the situation at Tottenham is doing so in a vacum becuase we can't be sure which players Jol bought. Kabul was terrible last night, but was he a Jol or a Camoli/Levy signing? Dawson was a Jol signing and he is shit.

I don't think Spurs lost their Champions' League spot at Upton Park in 06.  They did it when they drew, instead of winning, at Highbury the week before. Besides, how can you plan for food poisoning?

I liked Jol.   He earned the trust of Tottenham supporters and his record was good until this season.  The question is whether he was fatally underminded by the board or by his own signings?  That's the issue I would like to see addressed by Tottenham fans on this board. 

Spurs have now had 10 managers while Arsene Wenger has been in control at Highbury.  I believe Jol should not have been sacked and given time to turn things around as he had done enough to suggest he was a capable manager.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: T Fearon on October 26, 2007, 01:42:34 PM
Spirit of 91 amd 94, excellent regurgitation of the Talksport Breakfast show this morning and rehashing it as if it was your own original idea.

Bad the way it was done alright but Jol messed up big time when the chips were really down. West Ham in 2006 when a Champions League place was within grasp, and last year against Seville at White Hart Lane with the concession of two piss poor early goals and the throwing away of two goal leads against the Goons and Chelsea in the Carling Cup and FA Cup. Likeable and all that he is I don't think he was ever going to take us over the line and probably should have gone in the summer, and Camolli should have gone with him.

Feel sorry for Chris Hughton, great Irish player and a source of stability at the club for the last ten years.

What surprises me is why the lack of apparent interest in Klinsmann who has publicly stated he wants to work in London

Some good points there Tony, especially regarding the cup competions. Those 3 c**k-ups were major ones because they cost Spurs a realistic chance of winning a trophy, which would have bought him a lot more time. He did make a some curious substitutions during those matches as well.

The West Ham game was an unfortunate situation because half his team were food poisoned.

I thought they would have kept Hughton about the club although I don't think he will be out of work for long. I believe he has spent 25 years of his life at Spurs. He deserves a medal ;)

T Fearon

The obvious solution here is Klinsmann (I too am far from convinced about Ramos, he is another Benitez,looks good on the surface but might be found wanting). Klinsmann is readily available, no big compensation fee and has stated that he wants to work in London. If Levy can't see this then perhaps he too should follow Jol down the High Road

spiritof91and94

Quote from: T Fearon on October 26, 2007, 01:42:34 PM

Still doesn't mask the problem you have Fearon you tosser - yous are always going to be a mediocre team no matter who takes it on.
Remember the way Wenger got treated by the scum supporters of Tottenham when he arrived at Highbury - well he is still there and spurs are still nothing!!!!!
Why dont you give Talksport a call this evening when the fishing programme is on - they might listen to you!!
BTW well done yesterday in making a fool of yourself in the Irish news!!

Hers something else I copied for you!!!!

The Arsenal team that played against the Tiny Totts in September cost thus:

Jol: Free-spending chump

Almunia: 500k
Sagna: 6million
Toure: £150k
Gilberto: 4.5million
Clichy: 500k
Diaby: 2million
Flamini: Free
Fabregas: Nominal
Hleb: 7.5million
Van Persie: 3.5million
Adebeyor: 3million
Subs:
Rosicky: 6.8million
Song: 1million
Denilson: 3.4million

Total: £32.85million (that's the price of two Darren Bents).

In contrast the Spuds cost...

Paul Robinson: 1.5million
Pascal Chimbonda: 4.5million
Young-Pyo Lee: 1million
Younes Kaboul: 7million
Gareth Bale: 5million (could be 10, but we'll say 5 for now)
Michael Dawson: 8million
Tom Huddlestone: 2million
Jermaine Jenas: 9million
Steed Malbranque: 2million
Dimitar Berbatov: 10.9million
Robbie Keane: 7million
Subs:
Aaron Lennon: 1million
Darren Bent: 16million

Total: £74.9million

So even though we used one more sub their team cost well over double ours (£42 million more in fact) and yet we embarrassed them once again. Arsene Wenger is ace. Martin Jol is a spoon.