who's the best irish international rules player???

Started by nutsy--1, October 07, 2008, 10:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

John Grimley ate several australians
Pick for me was
Mc Geeney turning the lad over and beating him on pure strength, or Canavan breaking the wee Ozzie thugs nose right in front of me- great sport.
another memorable moment from the International thuggery series   was seeing big Finbar Mc connell going out to start a row in midfield in Croke Park and a canny wee Australian pulling the green Coco Cola tshirt over his head and beating him blindly

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: rrhf on October 08, 2008, 09:37:20 PM
John Grimley ate several australians
Pick for me was
Mc Geeney turning the lad over and beating him on pure strength, or Canavan breaking the wee Ozzie thugs nose right in front of me- great sport.
another memorable moment from the International thuggery series   was seeing big Finbar Mc connell going out to start a row in midfield in Croke Park and a canny wee Australian pulling the green Coco Cola tshirt over his head and beating him blindly

Am a Down fan but thought this was class myself... f**king brilliant.

Fenway

Re Mick Lyons nomination - I remember sitting in the old Hogan at a 3rd test when Mick came on late in the game - There was a bit of a shamozzle up the canal end and Mick must have been dying for a bit of action cos he promptly laid out the Aussie standing next to him while all officaldom was focussed on the action at the other end. I dont believe he even got a card for it!    ::)

I would go for Jacko and John McDermott myself

fearglasmor

Jacko, McNicholl, O'Driscoll were all class acts way back when.
Anyone remember Noel Roche from Clare.

Finbarr Cullen always showed skill and intelligence matched with bravery could be as effective as brawn.

carribbear

Theres been some brilliant performers over the years, Jack O'Shea was definitely the standout I remember from the schooldays giving the aussies a tanking.
In more recent years Ciaran McManus, Canavan, Cullen, Canty, Tom Kelly, Geraghty, Rainbow, McGeeney, Fay and the late Cormac McAnallen have all performed well. Even still my favourites have to be Anthony Tohill, no aussie tried to feck with him and then there is still only one Sean Marty Lockhart. Stuck the head on an aussie last time around and wasn't intimidated one little bit...even seen where Barry Hall didn't even try to fight him.

Hope for a good hard fair set of games this time around, none of that thuggery like 2006.

Goats Do Shave

I have to admit, a bit of the thuggery is good.

It's only bad when you side is at the end of it for the whole match, like last time out!

If Ireland picked their biggest & strongest team, we wouldn't have to fear that being the case!

Bisbee

Pick for me was

I remember during the first test in 2006, towards the end of the fourth quarter,  McGeeney flattened some Aussie with a bone crunching tackle.  The Aussie was running at full pelt and McGeeney timed his hit perfectly. I think Ireland gathered the loose ball and got a critical score.
Also remember Dermott McNicholl when he got on the ball during the 1980's leaving Brad Hardie for dead. In desperation Hardie (who was a very highly regarded defender in the AFL) tried to grab the back of McNicholl's jersey but did not get even close.