Best / distinguished Minor Footballers of all time

Started by Sundaygame, July 26, 2022, 08:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

So did McNicholl play minor for Derry for 4 seasons or 5 years?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 27, 2022, 07:16:48 PM

Four seasons - 80 to 83
Three AI finals, winning one.

As mentioned above, the bad birthday, so missed out on a fifth year. by about six weeks.

Was playing for Derry minors when he was 14 (end of his third year in St Pat's)

Silver hill

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 27, 2022, 07:26:31 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 27, 2022, 07:16:48 PM

Four seasons - 80 to 83
Three AI finals, winning one.

As mentioned above, the bad birthday, so missed out on a fifth year.
Was playing for Derry minors when he was 14 (end of his third year in St Pat's)

A McRory winner that year in 3rd year as a corner forward. Will never be repeated.

rrhf

Without looking like I am just trying to discourage debate, can we all agree to close this thread as it is a waste of everyone's time, and time is money. Move along quickly.

Silver hill

Quote from: rrhf on July 27, 2022, 08:31:21 PM
Without looking like I am just trying to discourage debate, can we all agree to close this thread as it is a waste of everyone's time, and time is money. Move along quickly.

Probably right, you know best and are obviously way smarter than everyone else. Pack up the tent lads, the man has spoken.

Nanderson

For me Martin Clarke was a brilliant underage player. Posted ridiculous scores in underage club/school games. Managed to bring a very small unknown school to within a kick of a ball of 2 macrory titles. Played in an all ireland u21 final whilst still minor and in lower 6th in school. Although going to the AFL helped him physically would have been interesting to see what he would have become had he went through the colleges football levels

DuffleKing

Des Mackin (Cullyhanna) played four years as a minor for Armagh.

1990 - played centre back
1991 - played full forward and scored a hattrick in the the first round Vs Down
1992 - played full forward on the team that won Ulster and lost the All Ireland final to a last minute Meath goal
1993 - played full forward and played for the seniors the same year

smort

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 28, 2022, 08:02:52 AM

1992 - played full forward on the team that won Ulster and lost the All Ireland final to a last minute Meath goal

Is this the father of the current mackin sibling stars?

pbat

Quote from: smort on July 28, 2022, 08:33:15 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 28, 2022, 08:02:52 AM

No,  not related.

Is this the father of the current mackin sibling stars?

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rosnarun

there was a reddington lad for Galway a few years back was brilliant  as a minor . dont know if he ever played senior.
there was an interesting article in the Program for the minor final about top scorers in Previous finals from 2000 about half of the made it to any degree and the rest i had not heard of . ill try and find it.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

imtommygunn

Was there not a Galway boy who was on the same team as Donnelan and Joyce at underage who was supposedly better at the time? (I think? Donnelan and Joyce same age?). It was a st jarlaths team.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2022, 12:00:08 PM
Was there not a Galway boy who was on the same team as Donnelan and Joyce at underage who was supposedly better at the time? (I think? Donnelan and Joyce same age?). It was a st jarlaths team.

John concannon

Estimator

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 28, 2022, 01:06:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2022, 12:00:08 PM

John concannon

Yeah, that's him. Himself and John Divilly are both part of the Galway backroom team.
Ulster League Champions 2009

the onion bag

Damien O'Hagan was no slouch at minor level either. Won 3 Ulster titles in 4 years (1975-78), qualifying for 1 All Ireland Final and this despite being unavailable for selection in his 3rd year, the only year Tyrone didn't win Ulster.