Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 12, 2022, 10:28:23 AM
Season ticket holders should be able to access their tickets since last night.  Got my 2 in 305 lower Cusack so happy with that!! Great to looking forward to a football final after such a long gap to the last one.  Galway with more than a squeak  ;)
Ended up in 305 as well from the ST, weird to have the final ticket sorted so early and it on the phone as opposed to the physical ticket but takes care of one bit of hassle anyway.

Quote from: blanketattack on July 12, 2022, 10:38:56 AM
- Kerry have a 100% record in winning the All-Ireland the year after Tyrone win the All-Ireland
- Jack O'Connor has a 100% record of winning the All-Ireland after knocking Dublin out of the Championship
- Jack O'Connor has a 100% record of winning the League and All-Ireland in the first year of his stints as Kerry manager
- Jack O'Connor has a 100% record against Connaught teams in the Championship
- Jack O'Connor has already maintained his 100% record in All-Ireland semi-finals

As we can see Galway will be given absolutely no chance but underdogs tag has suited us well so far this year against Mayo, Armagh and Derry.
Amazing to see that Derry are being totally written off now as a "handy" semi-final when they were the fittest team in the land with a system that was going to flummox Galway at 5.25pm last Saturday. I was seriously worried in the first half to be honest but Galway turned it around in the second 35 minutes. I'd rather have lads underperforming in a semi-final and still getting the win instead of taking the top of a team with a glorious display, there's nowhere to go in terms of improvement after that.

Kerry have some advantages in terms of previous final experience in 2019, far more experience at the business end of the championship and of playing Division One teams regularly. Looking at the Galway squad while I wasn't that impressed with the Kerry subs on Sunday, they have more depth then ourselves. Kerry players will have a belief in the destiny of the final given that they finally got the Dublin monkey off the back as well.
Galway will have to survive the first 15 minutes of the final without conceding a goal because Jack O'Connor will have the Kerry lads targeting the high ball into Clifford to put pressure on Gleeson and the FB line, early and often I would imagine. Kerry got good change out of it against Dublin in the first half on Sunday, although the defending for the O'Shea goal was shocking bad.

Need a ref with the strength to see past the green and gold mythology and the presumptive coronation of the golden child. There will be a narrative that Kerry should win because that is the natural order of it, they have the footballers and that Clifford shouldn't be without a Celtic Cross, that type of subconscious bias is where the big teams tend to get the 50/50 calls across all sports. Their tactical fouling is off the charts, however I think this Galway outfit has shown they aren't a naïve bunch in this year's championship and hopefully will be able to match Kerry in these aspects. Will be interesting to see what angle the Kerry media mafia take in the run up next week.

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2022, 11:10:37 AM
It has been a long season . #Jaysus

An Fhairche Abu
Re: NFL Division Two 2022
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »
Realistically where are Galway going conceding 3-10 at home to the likes of Offaly? Absolutely ridiculous. Worrying signs the last two weeks, you'll get away with that type of slack and mistake laden performance against lower Division Two standard teams, but will be blown out of it against serious opposition who won't give up a big score.
Have the three best teams left to play and I hope that Galway go up purely because we will fall even further behind Division One standard if they don't, the gulf is big enough as it is. Will be a difficult task though, 10 points mightn't be enough to go up given the huge imbalance in the Division, needless to say, anything bar a win against Clare and Galway will be in serious bother.
As for the championship will be looking for a good run in backdoor unless something serious changes between now and April 24th, a top level Division One team like Mayo are not going to give up cheap scores and will wreck a defensive setup that's letting in huge scores against Cork and Offaly.. Went into this league hoping to see some big improvements on 3 things: kickouts, defence setup and score conversion rate. When you see the calibre of opposition at this level, there is no improvement on the first two aspects and that level of performance today just isn't good enough.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:17:47 PM by An Fhairche Abu »
Report to moderator    Logged

I didn't see this coming last year after the capitulation against Mayo in the Connacht final, I didn't see this coming during the league when we were conceding big totals to bad Cork and Offaly teams, and I didn't see Galway beating Mayo in the first round after where both were after the league.
Frankly if you had told me while I was watching Galway in PUC against Cork in the Spring that we would make the All Ireland final I'd have said you were off your head, the likes of the structure that snuffed the Derry attack out last Saturday wasn't to be seen. Galway have incrementally improved as the season has progressed and I'm still trying to process that were actually back there, during the 98-01 period I though those days would never end. I've seen a lot of time and bad days go by since, Wexford 2010, Antrim 2012, Mayo 2013. Galway football was on the floor.

We're there now and just need to put in the best performance of the year and see where that goes, Galway squad depth isn't great and there are still questions remaining over goalkeeper and kickouts. By the same token, I don't buy that Kerry are unbeatable, they have generational players up front and are playing well in defence but they are not at the level of the 00's team yet.
Playing with house money now but by the same token, we know only too well in Galway that these players may not get another shot at winning Sam, the worst thing would be for the game to pass lads by and to exit CP without having given it a good shot, I just hope they show up and play to their best, anything is possible then.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 12, 2022, 11:52:15 AM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 12, 2022, 10:28:23 AM
Season ticket holders should be able to access their tickets since last night.  Got my 2 in 305 lower Cusack so happy with that!! Great to looking forward to a football final after such a long gap to the last one.  Galway with more than a squeak  ;)
Ended up in 305 as well from the ST, weird to have the final ticket sorted so early and it on the phone as opposed to the physical ticket but takes care of one bit of hassle anyway.

- Kerry have a 100% record in winning the All-Ireland the year after Tyrone win the All-Ireland
- Jack O'Connor has a 100% record of winning the All-Ireland after knocking Dublin out of the Championship
- Jack O'Connor has a 100% record of winning the League and All-Ireland in the first year of his stints as Kerry manager
- Jack O'Connor has already maintained his 100% record in All-Ireland semi-finals

As we can see Galway will be given absolutely no chance but underdogs tag has suited us well so far this year against Mayo, Armagh and Derry.
Amazing to see that Derry are being totally written off now as a "handy" semi-final when they were the fittest team in the land with a system that was going to flummox Galway at 5.25pm last Saturday. I was seriously worried in the first half to be honest but Galway turned it around in the second 35 minutes. I'd rather have lads underperforming in a semi-final and still getting the win instead of taking the top of a team with a glorious display, there's nowhere to go in terms of improvement after that.

Kerry have some advantages in terms of previous final experience in 2019, far more experience at the business end of the championship and of playing Division One teams regularly. Looking at the Galway squad while I wasn't that impressed with the Kerry subs on Sunday, they have more depth then ourselves. Kerry players will have a belief in the destiny of the final given that they finally got the Dublin monkey off the back as well.
Galway will have to survive the first 15 minutes of the final without conceding a goal because Jack O'Connor will have the Kerry lads targeting the high ball into Clifford to put pressure on Gleeson and the FB line, early and often I would imagine. Kerry got good change out of it against Dublin in the first half on Sunday, although the defending for the O'Shea goal was shocking bad.

Need a ref with the strength to see past the green and gold mythology and the presumptive coronation of the golden child. There will be a narrative that Kerry should win because that is the natural order of it, they have the footballers and that Clifford shouldn't be without a Celtic Cross, that type of subconscious bias is where the big teams tend to get the 50/50 calls across all sports. Their tactical fouling is off the charts, however I think this Galway outfit has shown they aren't a naïve bunch in this year's championship and hopefully will be able to match Kerry in these aspects. Will be interesting to see what angle the Kerry media mafia take in the run up next week.

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2022, 11:10:37 AM
It has been a long season . #Jaysus

An Fhairche Abu
Re: NFL Division Two 2022
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »
Realistically where are Galway going conceding 3-10 at home to the likes of Offaly? Absolutely ridiculous. Worrying signs the last two weeks, you'll get away with that type of slack and mistake laden performance against lower Division Two standard teams, but will be blown out of it against serious opposition who won't give up a big score.
Have the three best teams left to play and I hope that Galway go up purely because we will fall even further behind Division One standard if they don't, the gulf is big enough as it is. Will be a difficult task though, 10 points mightn't be enough to go up given the huge imbalance in the Division, needless to say, anything bar a win against Clare and Galway will be in serious bother.
As for the championship will be looking for a good run in backdoor unless something serious changes between now and April 24th, a top level Division One team like Mayo are not going to give up cheap scores and will wreck a defensive setup that's letting in huge scores against Cork and Offaly.. Went into this league hoping to see some big improvements on 3 things: kickouts, defence setup and score conversion rate. When you see the calibre of opposition at this level, there is no improvement on the first two aspects and that level of performance today just isn't good enough.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:17:47 PM by An Fhairche Abu »
Report to moderator    Logged

I didn't see this coming last year after the capitulation against Mayo in the Connacht final, I didn't see this coming during the league when we were conceding big totals to bad Cork and Offaly teams, and I didn't see Galway beating Mayo in the first round after where both were after the league.
Frankly if you had told me while I was watching Galway in PUC against Cork in the Spring that we would make the All Ireland final I'd have said you were off your head, the likes of the structure that snuffed the Derry attack out last Saturday wasn't to be seen. Galway have incrementally improved as the season has progressed and I'm still trying to process that were actually back there, during the 98-01 period I though those days would never end. I've seen a lot of time and bad days go by since, Wexford 2010, Antrim 2012, Mayo 2013. Galway football was on the floor.

We're there now and just need to put in the best performance of the year and see where that goes, Galway squad depth isn't great and there are still questions remaining over goalkeeper and kickouts. By the same token, I don't buy that Kerry are unbeatable, they have generational players up front and are playing well in defence but they are not at the level of the 00's team yet.
Playing with house money now but by the same token, we know only too well in Galway that these players may not get another shot at winning Sam, the worst thing would be for the game to pass lads by and to exit CP without having given it a good shot, I just hope they show up and play to their best, anything is possible then.
Anything after Connacht was a bonus. I wouldn't complain about being beaten by a better team. But we haven't played one yet.
I think we are in between 2 blocks of serial wins- like in the hurling from 94 to 98 . Dublin are rebuilding and could win another obscene number of Sams. Ulster is in flux. Hard to know how good Kerry are.
We might as well go for it this time around.
What's encouraging is the blend of 2017 under 21s and experienced seniors. For years Galway couldn't do this. Plus they are genuinely exciting to watch. There are leaders all over the pitch.

I hope Sunday was Kerry's all Ireland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blanketattack

I wonder where does the Roscommon and Mayo support go for the final?
I guess Roscommon's main enemy is Mayo rather than Galway, so I guess they'd be mainly supporting Galway.
There might be a bit of Kerry support in Tipperary and Waterford but I'd say everyone else is supporting Galway.
A few in Limerick hurling country might support Kerry also but definitely not in Limerick football country.
I find the only county in Ulster that gives a bit of support to Kerry is Down, I'm not sure if that stands up against Galway though.
Brian Cody will probably be supporting Kerry as well, as he hates everything maroon!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Galway's Damien Comer will provide a completely different test to Jason Foley and Kerry compared to last weekend. Dean Rock is an all-time great footballer, but he has definitely lost a yard or two of pace. There was one high ball that went into Rock in the second half from a Dublin player, and if he had won it, he was one on one with Foley. If that was O'Callaghan instead of Rock, a Dublin goal was definitely on the cards.

I'd like to see Shane Walsh closer to the goals than he has been playing as well. Let Finerty do the dirty defensive work and keep Walsh and Comer inside the Kerry half. The likes of Tom O'Sullivan might think twice about bombing forward to try and kick a score.

seafoid

Quote from: blanketattack on July 12, 2022, 12:40:58 PM
I wonder where does the Roscommon and Mayo support go for the final?
I guess Roscommon's main enemy is Mayo rather than Galway, so I guess they'd be mainly supporting Galway.
There might be a bit of Kerry support in Tipperary and Waterford but I'd say everyone else is supporting Galway.
A few in Limerick hurling country might support Kerry also but definitely not in Limerick football country.
I find the only county in Ulster that gives a bit of support to Kerry is Down, I'm not sure if that stands up against Galway though.
Brian Cody will probably be supporting Kerry as well, as he hates everything maroon!

Schadenfreude levels are expected to be high north of Ballindine on Sunday afternooon, subject to results.

Rossfan

For myself I'd only shout for Galway (football) v Kerry or Dublin.
A lot here and in Mayo will shout for the Connacht team no matter what.
Others here  would sooner die roarin' than shout for Galway or Mayowestros  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Have to say last winter I wanted Pj out. Everything I had seen over the previous 18 months pointed to a team going nowhere.
No way would I have believed then we would be in an AI final months later.
Am not a season ticket holder so holding out hope I nab a ticket from somewhere. Who knows though - they all come out of the woodwork when you reach this stage so they won't be easily got.

Gael85

How much are tickets for game ? I presume will be no curtain raiser?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gael85 on July 12, 2022, 01:53:44 PM
How much are tickets for game ? I presume will be no curtain raiser?

£77 for the hurling in the Davin  stand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 12, 2022, 01:27:45 PM
For myself I'd only shout for Galway (football) v Kerry or Dublin.
A lot here and in Mayo will shout for the Connacht team no matter what.
Others here  would sooner die roarin' than shout for Galway or Mayowestros  ;D
I would shout for Ros or MGHU. I was delighted when the minors in 06 and  Brigids a few year later won the all Ireland. Seeing the Brigids flags in Athone not long  afterwards was great.   It made up for all the times Clann were disappointed.

Cunny Funt

First time in 24 years that Connacht teams has reached the All-Ireland senior final for three years in a row.

Back then

1996 Mayo lost
1997 Mayo lost
1998 Galway won

Now

2020 Mayo lost
2021 Mayo lost
2022 Galway ??

So one way or another history will be repeating itself in this final.

One other note, Jack O'Connor lost his last match against Galway, All-Ireland U21 semi final in 2017. Shane Ryan, Tom O'Sullivan, Brian Ó Beaglaoich, Gavin White, Killian Spillane and Sean O'Shea played in that game for Kerry. Galway had Kieran Molloy, Dylan McHugh, Cillian McDaid, Sean Kelly, Robert Finnerty.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 12, 2022, 03:12:36 PM

First time in 24 years that Connacht teams has reached the All-Ireland senior final for three years in a row.

Back then

1996 Mayo lost
1997 Mayo lost
1998 Galway won

Now

2020 Mayo lost
2021 Mayo lost
2022 Galway ??

One other note, Jack O'Connor lost his last match against Galway, All-Ireland U21 semi final in 2017. Shane Ryan, Tom O'Sullivan, Brian Ó Beaglaoich, Gavin White, Killian Spillane and Sean O'Shea played in that game for Kerry. Galway had Kieran Molloy, Dylan McHugh, Cillian McDaid, Sean Kelly, Robert Finnerty.
A huge change from the 1980s and early 90s

blanketattack

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 12, 2022, 03:12:36 PM

Back then

1996 Mayo lost
1997 Mayo lost
1998 Galway won

Now

2020 Mayo lost
2021 Mayo lost
2022 Galway ??

Could have also mentioned Galway's path to victory in 98 and 01 included wins over Roscommon and a semi-final win over Derry :)

The winners of the 2017 u21 final were Dublin and from their team, Comerford, Murchan, Murphy, McMahon, Howard and P Small played on Sunday so the u21 omens are good for Kerry!

An Fhairche Abu

Hopefully past results will have nothing to do with the final, Galway's championship record against Kerry since the 60s is absolutely appalling.