All Stars 2022

Started by ONeill, July 09, 2022, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

What more does Graham O'Sullivan have to do to win an All-star?
Was flawless in every game before the final.
In the final, kept his man completely quiet, scored a point and set up 5 points. All from corner-back.

Manning18

The backline was insanely competitive. You could swap out any of Silke, Morley and White there for any of TOS, Graham Sullivan, McCloskey or Rodgers and I don't think there'd be many complaints. The other 3 winners were nailed on

The only other debate is Rian o'Neill. Personally I'd probably do what the Sunday game did and shoehorn him in at midfield over Glass. Tom O'Sullivan, Comer and even Rodgers seem to be getting downgraded in people's minds for their performances in their final game, which Glass doesn't seem to be, and I don't think his year up to the point was as spectacular as the other three to those points. However on strict terms, he was the second best out and out midfielder.

The other would be swapping Kilkenny out for RON, but it's a time honoured tradition that all semi finalists get at least 1 award. Someone who nobody is talking about having a quiet final is Sean O'Shea. I suppose the spectacular free heroics live in the mind but it's particular funny in light of the debate around Comer, when O'Shea had an equally quiet final and Comer had a far better year up to that point. I'd argue that Comer is even more deserving than Shane Walsh tbh

Armagh18

Quote from: Manning18 on October 27, 2022, 04:27:20 PM
The backline was insanely competitive. You could swap out any of Silke, Morley and White there for any of TOS, Graham Sullivan, McCloskey or Rodgers and I don't think there'd be many complaints. The other 3 winners were nailed on

The only other debate is Rian o'Neill. Personally I'd probably do what the Sunday game did and shoehorn him in at midfield over Glass. Tom O'Sullivan, Comer and even Rodgers seem to be getting downgraded in people's minds for their performances in their final game, which Glass doesn't seem to be, and I don't think his year up to the point was as spectacular as the other three to those points. However on strict terms, he was the second best out and out midfielder.

The other would be swapping Kilkenny out for RON, but it's a time honoured tradition that all semi finalists get at least 1 award. Someone who nobody is talking about having a quiet final is Sean O'Se. I suppose the spectacular free heroics live in the mind but it's particular funny in light of the debate around Comer, when O'Se had an equally quiet final and Comer had a far better year up to that point. I'd argue that Comer is even more deserving than Shane Walsh tbh
Yeah definitely a hugely difficult team to pick this year. Kieran Molloy didn't even get nominated as far as I remember and he was excellent. Don't agree that Comer is more deserving than Walsh- Walsh's final would have deserved  an thr all star if he hadn't touched leather the rest of the year

Blowitupref

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 27, 2022, 02:55:10 PM
Shane McGuigan doesn't do enough from play either and the Clare 'game' doesn't count.
Wouldn't have Shane on the list either but Why doesn't it count. Both Derry and Clare Div 2 teams this year as will be in 2023. Clare earned their spot in the last 8 also.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 27, 2022, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 27, 2022, 02:55:10 PM
Shane McGuigan doesn't do enough from play either and the Clare 'game' doesn't count.
Wouldn't have Shane on the list either but Why doesn't it count. Both Derry and Clare Div 2 teams this year as will be in 2023. Clare earned their spot in the last 8 also.
Clare no bad side at all but were like rabbits caught in the headlights against Derry

Walter Cronc

The other would be swapping Kilkenny out for RON, but it's a time honoured tradition that all semi finalists get at least 1 award. Someone who nobody is talking about having a quiet final is Sean O'Shea. I suppose the spectacular free heroics live in the mind but it's particular funny in light of the debate around Comer, when O'Shea had an equally quiet final and Comer had a far better year up to that point. I'd argue that Comer is even more deserving than Shane Walsh tbh

What games did O'Neill perform to a elite standard? Glass is the best defensive midfielder in the country. His off the ball rate is phenomenal.

Armagh18

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 27, 2022, 06:00:11 PM

What games did O'Neill perform to a elite standard? Glass is the best defensive midfielder in the country. His off the ball rate is phenomenal.
All bar Donegal the first day. Was also unbelievable throughout the league especially the Dublin game. Anyway it doesn't really matter I'm sure he's more worried about his ulster club quarter final coming up

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 27, 2022, 06:48:44 PM

All bar Donegal the first day. Was also unbelievable throughout the league especially the Dublin game. Anyway it doesn't really matter I'm sure he's more worried about his ulster club quarter final coming up

Donegal the first day was the one that really mattered!  He might run into Glass in the Ulster club all being well  ;)

Armagh18

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 27, 2022, 07:43:01 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 27, 2022, 06:48:44 PM

Donegal the first day was the one that really mattered!  He might run into Glass in the Ulster club all being well  ;)
Very true. Tough ask to get past Ballybay then even tougher one to get past Kilcoo. Would be great to see them do it though. Nothing stopping Glen going all the way this year though I reckon

Gael85

Quote from: seafoid on October 27, 2022, 07:34:03 AM
7 Kerry
5 Galway
2 Derry
1 BAC
0 Armagh

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/1026/1331559-kingdom-to-the-fore-in-all-stars-football-selection/ ;)

The Clifford brothers, David and Paudie, are joined by team-mates Sean O'Shea, goalkeeper Shane Ryan, and defenders Jason Foley, Tadhg Morley and Gavin White.

Finalists Galway have claimed five berths. Damien Comer and Shane Walsh occupy two of the full-forward slots, with Liam Silke, John Daly and Cillian McDaid also included.

Semi-finalists Derry are represented by corner-back Chrissy McKaigue and midfielder Conor Glass, with Dublin's CiarĂ¡n Kilkenny, winning his fourth award, making up the team.

That Ciaran Kilkenny 6th All Star.

Gael85

Quote from: Taylor on October 27, 2022, 12:18:34 PM
Overall it is a pretty accurate selection however I would have a couple of reservations.

The Armagh keeper could have got in and there wouldnt have been much furore.
Derry corner back had a great year
Kilkenny was a surprise

Scored 1-12 in 5 championship games. Not many half forwards scored that much from play.

Taylor

Quote from: Gael85 on October 28, 2022, 12:07:48 AM
Quote from: Taylor on October 27, 2022, 12:18:34 PM
Overall it is a pretty accurate selection however I would have a couple of reservations.

The Armagh keeper could have got in and there wouldnt have been much furore.
Derry corner back had a great year
Kilkenny was a surprise

Scored 1-12 in 5 championship games. Not many half forwards scored that much from play.

You have to consider who the opposition was in those games?

blanketattack

This is the 3rd year in a row, all the all-stars went to just the 4 semi-finalists

seafoid

Quote from: blanketattack on October 28, 2022, 10:27:40 AM
This is the 3rd year in a row, all the all-stars went to just the 4 semi-finalists
The Allstars are a formula. If the winners plus runners up get a total of less than 10 all stars there may be a quarter final all star.
This year winner plus runners up got 12

naka

Quote from: blanketattack on October 28, 2022, 10:27:40 AM
makes a mockery of the renewed importance of the league