Pat Spillane to leave Sunday Game role after 30 years

Started by TheMistro, July 09, 2022, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

It's coming...Pat's fond farewell.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pat+spillane&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ9nguOtLiIl1hQgogx6pLZwOdcFw:1658574601991&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2uvDv7475AhWMUMAKHZ3_DB4Q_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1280&bih=601&dpr=1.5

Like his best rants and so on. The puke football comment was from 2003. That's nearly 20 years ago since he was really controversial or relevant.

Nearly all his quotes were pre-rehearsed like the Forest Gump this year and nearly all of the ones quoted will be him saying FOOTBALL IS SHITE in one form or another.

Maybe I'm in the minority but he did not add to my viewing pleasure and was too fuckin lazy to actually give any insight to the games so he dealt in big sweeping statements, a stat and 'funny' soundbites.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

I would agree with that. He was useless. Great player but doesn't make a great pundit. It's like people think he's some form of national treasure. Should have been out long ago and shouldn't have been on his terms.

marty34

I wonder will it be all about him on Sunday?

Is he in the studio for the game or in TSG studio later that night?

Rossfan

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 23, 2022, 12:19:13 PM
It's coming...Pat's fond farewell.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pat+spillane&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ9nguOtLiIl1hQgogx6pLZwOdcFw:1658574601991&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj2uvDv7475AhWMUMAKHZ3_DB4Q_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1280&bih=601&dpr=1.5

Like his best rants and so on. The puke football comment was from 2003. That's nearly 20 years ago since he was really controversial or relevant.

Nearly all his quotes were pre-rehearsed like the Forest Gump this year and nearly all of the ones quoted will be him saying FOOTBALL IS SHITE in one form or another.

Maybe I'm in the minority but he did not add to my viewing pleasure and was too fuckin lazy to actually give any insight to the games so he dealt in big sweeping statements, a stat and 'funny' soundbites.
+1.
For real analysis try Sky or copy the Tailteann Cup crew.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Spillane appealed to both the older and the less educated constituencies of TSG's audience.  His calculated ignorance and showboating were well received in certain homes . TSG is an uncomfortable coalition of older, thinking, less educated, younger, conservative, progressive,  occupied territories, football and hurling. No one is ever happy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

I would agree no one is ever happy but leaving him there for 30 years...like having the same lad shitin on all that time is bad.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2022, 07:46:56 PM
Spillane appealed to both the older and the less educated constituencies of TSG's audience.  His calculated ignorance and showboating were well received in certain homes . TSG is an uncomfortable coalition of older, thinking, less educated, younger, conservative, progressive,  occupied territories, football and hurling. No one is ever happy.

There are people with passing interest in football that looked forward to the Spillane Punch and Judy show. The ''What will he say today'' brigade.

Captain Obvious

Pat before the game. Tom O'Sullivan will mark Shane Walsh out of the game. At half time, I don't know why Tom O'Sullivan is still marking Walsh.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 24, 2022, 04:21:34 PM
Pat before the game. Tom O'Sullivan will mark Shane Walsh out of the game. At half time, I don't know why Tom O'Sullivan is still marking Walsh.

;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

quit yo jibbajabba

Bet all yous boys slaggin Pat feel bad now 😉😃

JimStynes

From the Bunker

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2022, 05:26:32 PM

Pat stole a healthy living for 30 years. 5 minutes of a sad and joyful personal family story changes nothing in relation to that.

mrdeeds

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2022, 10:46:06 PM

Pat stole a healthy living for 30 years. 5 minutes of a sad and joyful personal family story changes nothing in relation to that.

His antics over lockdown too leave a lot to be desired.

Captain Scarlet

The story was wonderful and I am not a cold-hearted hoor, but that doesn't mean he will be massively missed.
Sean Cavanagh was trying to be funny beside him and he just isn't, so away with him too.

Rory Gallagher popped up on the evening show, so I'd like to see more managers and coaches coming on.

Gael85

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 24, 2022, 10:55:53 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2022, 10:46:06 PM

His antics over lockdown too leave a lot to be desired.
What antics?