Brogan Wants Players Forced to do Press

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 07, 2022, 10:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

He's right!

GAA's promotion of these games have been diabolical and the Tailteann cup even worse.

There's fierce appetite for more GAA content RTE and the powers that be need to pull the finger out!

Baile Brigín 2

I agree.

But how do you 'compel' an amateur player to talk to the media?

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 07, 2022, 11:04:42 PM
I agree.

But how do you 'compel' an amateur player to talk to the media?

You don't. End off.

In saying that some would ate the mike if put in front of them, but it's a personal decision IMO.

imtommygunn

The GAA's PR for these big games is shocking. Something needs done about it but whether this is the right thing i don't know.

Saffrongael

Dublin were some of the worst culprits for not talking to the media but now it's done through "launches" organised by PR companies where the player gets paid for saying yeah "XYZ will bring a massive challenge"  ???
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

screenexile

There needs to be a media strategy that all teams must adhere to at different times of the Championship. Making 3 players and the manager available the week of a game type of thing for press and a tv show.

Tie it to county board funding and you'll soon see County Boards enforcing it. There are always lads who are happy enough to move their profile and put their hands up for these things I can't see you having to force too many shy lads to do it.

Coverage this week has been absolutely abysmal for the the 2 best matched games of the competition at semi final stage!

johnnycool

Quote from: screenexile on July 08, 2022, 10:48:06 AM
There needs to be a media strategy that all teams must adhere to at different times of the Championship. Making 3 players and the manager available the week of a game type of thing for press and a tv show.

Tie it to county board funding and you'll soon see County Boards enforcing it. There are always lads who are happy enough to move their profile and put their hands up for these things I can't see you having to force too many shy lads to do it.

Coverage this week has been absolutely abysmal for the the 2 best matched games of the competition at semi final stage!

Benny Heron (GOAT) which I believe is his full title of Screen fame is doing his utmost best in this regard..  ;D

TheMistro

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 08, 2022, 10:34:43 AM
Dublin were some of the worst culprits for not talking to the media but now it's done through "launches" organised by PR companies where the player gets paid for saying yeah "XYZ will bring a massive challenge"  ???

Sure kerry players players have done for donkey years. Playing likes Waterford your hear their players bigging up the opposition and swear they playing 5 in a row All-Ireland team.

Baile Brigín 2

He was pulled on that. He and his yeam mates did very little press under Gavin's orders. Promoted lors of products in the media, but never did pre game stuff

Hound

Dublin were some of the worst culprits for not talking to the media
'Culprits'
FFS!

Why would anyone talk to the media to promote games if they are regarded like this  for doing so?!
And god help you if you show any remote sign of confidence and then lose - you'll be absolutely slaughtered!!
Therefore most  players who does talk to the media now keep it very simple and inane

Never beat the deeler

Agree that there should be more done to promote these games, but strongly disagree that this should be down to the players preparing to play.

I'm sick of hearing journalists complain about lack of availability of players as the only reason is so they can pump out a 'free' article where they don't have to do any work - repeat a few quotes, take one wildly out of context and use it for a clickbait headline.
The players involved aren't going to say anything worth listening to coming up to a big game.

There are plenty ways to promote big games - articles with potential matchups, strengths and weaknesses of teams, how they might try and get an advantage, clips montages, look back to previous relevant meetings or even historic games etc but that would require actual work from journalists.

Promote the games, but stop using players as the excuse why this isn't happening
Hasta la victoria siempre

Eire90

if you follow gaa you will know the game is on

Eire90

most previews and talk is all cliches anyway   stufff like ohhh the derry will be  up for the game on saturday and hoping to make it to an all ireland final captain obvious stuff