Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: trailer on June 22, 2022, 03:01:12 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 22, 2022, 02:01:16 PM
Ditch the mark.
Trial 13 aside and leave it at that.

Take away a sub as well. More space, more running, and less fresh legs from the bench. Games could be absolutely manic in the last 10 /15 mins.
More space means more running and so it will benefit the athletes rather than the ballers.

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 24, 2022, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: Estimator on June 24, 2022, 06:24:16 PM
"Paul Rouse: Eight rule changes that could help to improve Gaelic Football" https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40902359.html

Why make one change when you can make 8!!

A lot of sense in those ideas in fairness
Most of them.

Not too sure about the 1v1 throw in or picking the ball off the ground. Seeing 2 women scrabbling on the ground to get the ball up is no great advertisement for the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LeoMc on June 24, 2022, 10:01:14 PM
"Paul Rouse: Eight rule changes that could help to improve Gaelic Football" https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40902359.html

Most of them.

Not too sure about the 1v1 throw in or picking the ball off the ground. Seeing 2 women scrabbling on the ground to get the ball up is no great advertisement for the game.

They can't pick it up while on the ground, must be not on knees... 1v1 in for throw in is no biggy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

not a fan of 40 minute halfs 35 is just right we live in a world of fast tech and instant gratification people maybe  put off with 40 min  halfs  soccer should go to 35 min halfs

onefineday

Love the 5 point goal proposal, hurling probably needs that more though, but still, it would be incredibly interesting to see how it shapes so many other facets of play. And let's be honest, there's nothing like the net bulging to get a crowd going.

onefineday

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 22, 2022, 12:57:33 PM
This guy is clearly on the windup, cant believe he has hooked so many experienced posters with his nonsense. I suppose it shows how far down the rabbit hole a large percentage of people have been led that they take this outlandish sort of thing seriously.
Well one of us is out of touch Keyser, I suppose we'll just watch this space over the next number of months and find out which of us!

sligoman2

That Dublin v Cork game was some snoozer.  Hoping for better tomorrow
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

onefineday

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 25, 2022, 09:09:47 PM
That Dublin v Cork game was some snoozer.  Hoping for better tomorrow

Absolutely dire, broke the rule of a lifetime and left early. Bring back Con!!

Rossfan

When are Refs going to enforce the rule about taking frees from the right place when they're kicked from the hand.
The amount of metre stealing is gone to the dogs altogether. Then last Sunday we even had the equalising free from the ground stealing 6 or 7 metres.
Get those soccerball canisters and mark the spot.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2022, 10:17:12 AM
When are Refs going to enforce the rule about taking frees from the right place when they're kicked from the hand.
The amount of metre stealing is gone to the dogs altogether. Then last Sunday we even had the equalising free from the ground stealing 6 or 7 metres.
Get those soccerball canisters and mark the spot.

Agreed. Marks too. They should back away for the run up and kick from the mark. this stealing of 5 metres and making the angle better is a joke that's been let go on for too long

tbrick18

Quote from: LeoMc on June 24, 2022, 09:53:45 PM
Ditch the mark.

Take away a sub as well. More space, more running, and less fresh legs from the bench. Games could be absolutely manic in the last 10 /15 mins.
More space means more running and so it will benefit the athletes rather than the ballers.

Fitness will be a factor but no more than it is today.
More space will mean more likely to kick a ball in front of a forward and gives him a chance of winning it rather than it be swallowed up by 2-3 sweepers.
It gives the GK more options for kickouts.
It just generally makes it more difficult to play a blanket defence - which some think has ruined the game.
I don't necessarily agree with that opinion, but if you want faster games that are more high scoring, it's bound to help with that.

befair

13-a-side might also give smaller cubs and counties a better chance, as would fewer subs.

thewobbler

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 29, 2022, 11:01:04 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 24, 2022, 09:53:45 PM
Ditch the mark.

Fitness will be a factor but no more than it is today.
More space will mean more likely to kick a ball in front of a forward and gives him a chance of winning it rather than it be swallowed up by 2-3 sweepers.
It gives the GK more options for kickouts.
It just generally makes it more difficult to play a blanket defence - which some think has ruined the game.
I don't necessarily agree with that opinion, but if you want faster games that are more high scoring, it's bound to help with that.

It's not the need for fitness I'd be worried about so much as the need for raw speed. As someone slower than a cart horse the thought of 13 a side on a full size field brings out horrors.

onefineday

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been resurrected. The big positive to me as I watched the Derry v Galway game, was this might just be the nadir, the point where the clamour for change can no longer be ignored. We've seen where the tactical evolution has gotten us, almost 70k in croker and the place like a library for most of the 1st half. Chances are we'll see more of the same in a fortnight, though it won't work to the same degree. Regardless of that, the real problem is that these big games are providing a window into what's happening up and down the country at club level. Managers see that it can bring results, players for the most part hate it, but if they don't co-operate, they won't be picked. The sport needs some simple, easily enforceable rules which can be applied to all games up and down the country.
To me, no passing back beyond half way is the most straightforward, probably needs at least 2 players from each side in each half at all times too though.

Estimator

Quote from: onefineday on July 11, 2022, 09:11:49 AM
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been resurrected. The big positive to me as I watched the Derry v Galway game, was this might just be the nadir, the point where the clamour for change can no longer be ignored. We've seen where the tactical evolution has gotten us, almost 70k in croker and the place like a library for most of the 1st half. Chances are we'll see more of the same in a fortnight, though it won't work to the same degree. Regardless of that, the real problem is that these big games are providing a window into what's happening up and down the country at club level. Managers see that it can bring results, players for the most part hate it, but if they don't co-operate, they won't be picked. The sport needs some simple, easily enforceable rules which can be applied to all games up and down the country.
To me, no passing back beyond half way is the most straightforward, probably needs at least 2 players from each side in each half at all times too though.

I'm glad we didn't see any of that nonsense in the Dublin and Kerry game yesterday  ::)
Ulster League Champions 2009