United Ireland

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, April 15, 2011, 04:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of this options would be acceptable to you including the least palatable you could accept.?

United Indivisable Irish Republic - Central Government.
55 (75.3%)
United Indivisable Irish Kingdom (Monarch with Ancent Irish & British Royal connections) - Central Government.
3 (4.1%)
2 State Republic (Current NI & Irish Rep) United Ireland Federation.
18 (24.7%)
2 State Kingdom (Current NI & Irish Rep) United Ireland Federation.
2 (2.7%)
4 Tradional Provinces Federation United Republic.
21 (28.8%)
4 Traditional Federation United Irish Kingdom.
4 (5.5%)
3 or 4 newly drawn up Regional Irish States Federation United Republic.
11 (15.1%)
3 or 4 newly drawn up Regional Irish States Federation United Irish Kingdom.
2 (2.7%)
Unified Indivisable Irish State within the (British) United Kingdom.
3 (4.1%)
2 State (Current NI & Irish Rep) within the (British) United Kingdom.
3 (4.1%)
Unified Indivisable Irish State within a British United Republic.
3 (4.1%)
2 State (Current NI & Irish Rep) within a British Republic.
4 (5.5%)
United Irish Republic as a State of a United States of Europe.
12 (16.4%)
Other Unifed Irish State.
12 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Evil Genius

Quote from: AQMP on April 15, 2011, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 15, 2011, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2011, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 15, 2011, 05:07:00 PM
Question 16. Is "cost" just the standardised excuse for apathy towards Irish Unity, in the 26 counties?

I think the fact that most protestants in the wee 6 are happy being British is also a factor.
Indeed.

Quote from: seafoid on April 15, 2011, 05:12:52 PM
Northern Ireland would have to shape up economically before its British parents could consider offering its hand
in marriage to the south.
Our British parents fellow Nations of the United Kingdom have no more right or authority to "hand" us to anyone, than we have to hand them over to anyone, for that is not how Unions work.

Which is actually a pretty good thing for the ROI, otherwise, the EU would be just as likely to want to "hand" the ROI over eg to the Yanks.

And in any case, should NI "shape up economically", why would either party (GB or NI) want to sever the link?

If the Union has held together during eg the Great Depression, World War II, 30 years of Republican Terrorism and Alan f**king Green on the wireless, I fail to see how even a downturn  in the NI economy, never mind an upturn, would change that.

I know EG but the South have had George "Danger Here" Hamilton to suffer.
I'd swap Wee George for Bucketmouth Green in a shot.

If nothing else, he'd be easier to feed.

Plus I don't think he's a feckin Linfield fan, like the fat fcuker  :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: AQMP on April 15, 2011, 05:56:07 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 15, 2011, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 15, 2011, 05:30:58 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 15, 2011, 05:26:22 PM
Question 16. Is "cost" just the standardised excuse for apathy towards Irish Unity, in the 26 counties? During the Celtic Septic Tiger years, I didn't hear much mass outpouring of support for Irish Unity south of the border. People just seemed to blissfully forget about the issue... the party was in full swing and everyone was too preoccupied living like kings. It just begs the question - if when times were good, many in the south didn't care about the north, and when times are bad, they say it's just too expensive to unite the nation,.... when will people care?

What if - the answer to that is never? Where does that leave 6 county republicans and nationalists? What would happen next?
Ive always cared.
Good for you.

Mind, it's a shame you don't count:
The two Governments:
(i) recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland with regard to its status, whether they prefer to continue to support the Union with Great Britain or a sovereign united Ireland;

http://www.nio.gov.uk/agreement.pdf

I thought in a democracy everyone's vote counted or is it only if you vote for the winner?
Yes, every vote cast  does count.

I am assuming that "Sligonian" is not entitled to vote in any referendum which must necessarily be held in NI (before a UI can even be considered).
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

trueblue1234

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 15, 2011, 06:06:56 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 15, 2011, 05:35:27 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 15, 2011, 05:23:53 PM
Some of you need to realise that people couldn't give a shit whether we live in a United Ireland or not. People are busy trying to keep a roof over their heads and trying to raise their children, a United Ireland would be well down the list of priorities or ideals, if it featured at all. It doesent make them any more or less of "an Irishman" either. A lot of people don't give a shit about politics.

That is my point. Not many seem to care in the 26 counties, stating that they are more worried about keeping a roof over their heads. What I want to know is what the excuse was for not caring when the celtic septic tiger was running rampant.
Why should they need an excuse?

I don't care for Bananas. Or Jazz. Or Motor Sport.

So if people in ROI are increasingly unconcerned about a United Ireland, so what?

Anyhow, whilst we can argue the toss over the importance of economics in determining peoples' views, I suspect that two another factors may be influencing opinions South of the border:
1. The population being a young one, memories of the Troubles are beginning to fade from their consciousness, never mind the Eater Rising, Black & Tans and the War of Independence etc;
2. Now that RC's/Nationalists in NI are seen to be getting a fair crack of the whip over Civil Rights and Jobs etc, the "need" for Southerners to care is that much less.

Nallys point and it's one that I would agree with is that many Southerns would say they would be for a United Ireland but reality might be a different thing. And if that is the case why not just say your not in favour of it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Nally Stand

Some of you need to realise that people couldn't give a shit whether we live in a United Ireland or not. People are busy trying to keep a roof over their heads and trying to raise their children, a United Ireland would be well down the list of priorities or ideals, if it featured at all. It doesent make them any more or less of "an Irishman" either. A lot of people don't give a shit about politics.

That is my point. Not many seem to care in the 26 counties, stating that they are more worried about keeping a roof over their heads. What I want to know is what the excuse was for not caring when the celtic septic tiger was running rampant.

So if people in ROI are increasingly unconcerned about a United Ireland, so what?

Anyhow, whilst we can argue the toss over the importance of economics in determining peoples' views, I suspect that two another factors may be influencing opinions South of the border:
1. The population being a young one, memories of the Troubles are beginning to fade from their consciousness, never mind the Eater Rising, Black & Tans and the War of Independence etc;
2. Now that RC's/Nationalists in NI are seen to be getting a fair crack of the whip over Civil Rights and Jobs etc, the "need" for Southerners to care is that much less.

"So what?" It might be a case of "so what" for you. Does that mean it has to be for everyone? Yes, we all know you are a unionist, but surely that doesn't exclude you from accepting that for a place where so many fought and died for All Ireland Independence for centuries, and in a place where most remember such people as patriots, that the people of the 26 counties might still be vocally supportive of the idea of All-Ireland Independence/Unity rather than use dishonest excuses to disguise a complete apathy for it, because luckily their county is not one of the six most north easterly ones.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

How about a dual monarchy under a Stuart between Scotland and Ireland.
He could even make speeches in North Channel Scots.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 15, 2011, 06:36:50 PM

"So what?" It might be a case of "so what" for you. Does that mean it has to be for everyone? Yes, we all know you are a unionist, but surely that doesn't exclude you from accepting that for a place where so many fought and died for All Ireland Independence for centuries, and in a place where most remember such people as patriots, that the people of the 26 counties might still be vocally supportive of the idea of All-Ireland Independence/Unity rather than use dishonest excuses to disguise a complete apathy for it, because luckily their county is not one of the six most north easterly ones.

You go on as if the disinclination to bang a drum for a united Ireland is some sort of crime. Who, precisely, is trying to disguise their apathy? I think the widespread apathy is pretty well undisguised. I don't think either that there's any substance in the suggestion that the apathy disguises a widespread antipathy "down here" to the idea of a United Ireland.

I think the overwhelming attitude is that political unity would be a nice idea, but not worth another drop of Irish blood (or any other blood, either), as long as people are living in a free democratic society, particularly now that the political union that makes a real difference to peoples' lives is the European one of which we're all members.

Maguire01

Question 16. Is "cost" just the standardised excuse for apathy towards Irish Unity, in the 26 counties? During the Celtic Septic Tiger years, I didn't hear much mass outpouring of support for Irish Unity south of the border. People just seemed to blissfully forget about the issue... the party was in full swing and everyone was too preoccupied living like kings. It just begs the question - if when times were good, many in the south didn't care about the north, and when times are bad, they say it's just too expensive to unite the nation,.... when will people care?

What if - the answer to that is never? Where does that leave 6 county republicans and nationalists? What would happen next?
Ive always cared.
Good for you.

The two Governments:
(i) recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland with regard to its status, whether they prefer to continue to support the Union with Great Britain or a sovereign united Ireland;

I thought in a democracy everyone's vote counted or is it only if you vote for the winner?
To be fair, the GFA set out who could vote for what; so if you voted for that, then you've already had a say in the matter.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on April 15, 2011, 06:48:20 PM

You go on as if the disinclination to bang a drum for a united Ireland is some sort of crime. Who, precisely, is trying to disguise their apathy? I think the widespread apathy is pretty well undisguised. I don't think either that there's any substance in the suggestion that the apathy disguises a widespread antipathy "down here" to the idea of a United Ireland.

I think the overwhelming attitude is that political unity would be a nice idea, but not worth another drop of Irish blood (or any other blood, either), as long as people are living in a free democratic society, particularly now that the political union that makes a real difference to peoples' lives is the European one of which we're all members.

I never once claimed it was a crime. I simply asked what the excuse was during the "good times" to disguise the apathy, since during the "bad times", money is being used as the excuse to disguise this apathy. I think the apathy is being disguised (just very very poorly). Most people from the 26 counties that I have ever talked about this with genuinely don't seem to give a feck about Irish Re-Unification, but most would nowadays use the old "what about the cost" rather than come clean and say they just don't give a flying fcuk.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 15, 2011, 07:00:44 PM

I never once claimed it was a crime. I simply asked what the excuse was during the "good times" to disguise the apathy, since during the "bad times", money is being used as the excuse to disguise this apathy. I think the apathy is being disguised (just very very poorly). Most people from the 26 counties that I have ever talked about this with genuinely don't seem to give a feck about Irish Re-Unification, but most would nowadays use the old "what about the cost" rather than come clean and say they just don't give a flying fcuk.

And I simply answered that the apathy is not disguised at all, so your thesis doesn't stand up. Why do people need an "excuse"? That's where my "crime" reference (exaggerating for effect) comes from. The fact that you insist people need an excuse for their position implies that you think that position is reprehensible. It's not - it's just different to yours.

Maguire01

Why do people need to have an excuse for being apathetic?

Evil Genius

Does everything always come back for you to all those who "fought and died etc"?

We can ALL point to our own suffering and sacrifice etc.

Personally I find it nauseating that someone I would term a murderous b a s t a r d like Martin McGuinness can occupy the position of Deputy First Minister in the very country which he and his fellow terrorists tried so hard to destroy, at such terrible cost to human life etc.

But I accept that it is so, and get on with it.

You, meanwhile, seem unable to accept that this is the 21st Century, there is a new dispensation in Ireland, democratically voted for by an overwhelming majority  on the island, which says that NI can only ever become part of a UI following a vote by the majority of its people in a referendum.

And if the majority of the people in ROI are content with that, especially now that their fellow Irish citizens in NI are no longer being discriminated against etc, why cannot you accept that?

Quite honestly, you would be far better using your time to persuade your fellow Irishmen and women in NI who are Unionists that they could be better off in a UI, than railing against Southerners for getting on with their own lives etc.

On which point, I would advise you that virtually nothing you ever post on the topic of Irish Unity is ever likely to persuade Unionists of your case - quite the contrary, in fact.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 15, 2011, 07:11:48 PM

Why do people need to have an excuse for being apathetic?

Hardy/Maguire, again, that would be my whole point. I am pointing out that this issue of "cost" is just an excuse. Excuses are not needed. An excuse is being used now when people could be honest and admit they just don't care. Hence why I am getting at how there were no excuses during the "good times", true colours shone through and re-unification was simply forgotten about.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 15, 2011, 06:58:22 PM

Ive always cared.
Good for you.

The two Governments:

To be fair, the GFA set out who could vote for what; so if you voted for that, then you've already had a say in the matter.
When Southerners overwhelmingly endorsed the GFA, they also explicitly accepted that they no longer had any say over Irish Unity, so long as a majority in NI are/were opposed to it.

Which is the point I was making to Sligonian.

Therefore instead of telling NI Unionists what we must think, Irish Republicans like Sligonian might be better advised to try persuading us what we might  think.

To date, they've made a right f u c k i n g hames of it...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 15, 2011, 07:00:44 PMI simply asked what the excuse was during the "good times" to disguise the apathy, since during the "bad times", money is being used as the excuse to disguise this apathy. I think the apathy is being disguised (just very very poorly). Most people from the 26 counties that I have ever talked about this with genuinely don't seem to give a feck about Irish Re-Unification, but most would nowadays use the old "what about the cost" rather than come clean and say they just don't give a flying fcuk.
Has it ever occurred to you that when faced with a militant, Nordie Republican demanding to know why they are not all strongly in favour of a UI etc, your average Southerner cites "cost" as the reason, out of politeness and the desire to avoid a row?

So the majority of Southerners don't care about Irish Unity.

When is the penny going to drop that that is your  problem, not theirs?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 15, 2011, 07:30:38 PM

Does everything always come back for you to all those who "fought and died etc"?

We can ALL point to our own suffering and sacrifice etc.

Personally I find it nauseating that someone I would term a murderous b a s t a r d like Martin McGuinness can occupy the position of Deputy First Minister in the very country which he and his fellow terrorists tried so hard to destroy, at such terrible cost to human life etc.

But I accept that it is so, and get on with it.

You, meanwhile, seem unable to accept that this is the 21st Century, there is a new dispensation in Ireland, democratically voted for by an overwhelming majority  on the island, which says that NI can only ever become part of a UI following a vote by the majority of its people in a referendum.

And if the majority of the people in ROI are content with that, especially now that their fellow Irish citizens in NI are no longer being discriminated against etc, why cannot you accept that?

Quite honestly, you would be far better using your time to persuade your fellow Irishmen and women in NI who are Unionists that they could be better off in a UI, than railing against Southerners for getting on with their own lives etc.

On which point, I would advise you that virtually nothing you ever post on the topic of Irish Unity is ever likely to persuade Unionists of your case - quite the contrary, in fact.

That was a long winded way of not answering my question. Though to take you up on a couple of points. You seem to imply that I am either unaware of the "new dispensation" of the GFA, or that I am opposed to it. Both are incorrect. I am fully behind it. Does that mean that we should all not care about our views which were the very reason this dispensation came into being? No. To paraphrase you; personally I find it nauseating that murderous b a s t a r d s in Whitehall still occupy any part of Ireland, a country which those terrorists tried so hard to destroy, at such terrible cost to human life etc but I accept that this is the status quo. That doesn't mean that if one day, I decided to not care anymore, that I would make up excuses such as "ah what about the cost of re-unification". As it is though, I am unlikely to ever feel such a way.

On which point, I would advise you that virtually nothing you ever post on the topic of maintaining the six county state is ever likely to persuade Republicans of your case - quite the contrary, in fact.

And besides all that, my whole entire point in all of this is that if certain people in the 26 counties don't care, that is their right (I never said otherwise) but to use the excuse of "cost" is simply dishonest. The only reason I asked what the "excuse" was during the "boom" years is to highlight that there was no excuse. People showed their apathy without excuses. Which is much more palatable.