Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 10, 2010, 07:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Yes
22 (36.1%)
No
30 (49.2%)
Grimely had a lot to do with kernans legacy
9 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

clarshack

there's no doubting what he has achieved in the game but his record since 2005 has been very poor.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: AFS on July 10, 2010, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2010, 09:56:54 PM
What legacy? Everyone in Armagh knows Paul grimley was the brains behind the operation and Joe was the motivator and if the truth be told i reckon Joe cost Armagh at least one other all ireland if not two. Galway might not win anything under Joe but they'll sure as hell be out a few Euro before it's all over

So when things went well it was all down to Grimley, but when things went pear shaped it was all Kernan's fault? Hmmm...

Joe made bad decisions in 2004 and 2005 if memory serves me correctly it was Joe that deided not to play Oisin against Fermanagh. Then in 2005 in the 3rd game against Tyrone that season he brough McGeeney off. To say those decisions didn't cost us is way off the mark.

Don't get me wrong, I still have respect for Kernan but there is always going to be these mistakes that are going to live with Armagh forever. We had our best ever team between the years 2001 and 2006 and a manager who most would consider one of the best in the country and because of this he shouldn't have made those mistakes. Once fair enough but twice!

Would also like to add Grimley has been consistent with the teams he has been with. Such as Armagh, Kildare and Monaghan.

If given the choice to have Grimley of Kernan at Armagh - who would you pick?

comethekingdom

Joe Kernan, McGeeney and Banty have all been carried by Grimley - simple fact. The results speak for themselves.

bennydorano

Who's to blame for Cavan then??? 

While undoutbedly an astute man the Grimley myth continues to grow. Easier to be a Number 2 with no ultimate responsibility - take credit for the good, deflect the bad, make the snowballs for someone else to fire.

He cant be judged on his own merits until he takes a County team as the Number 1; anyone think there's a reason why he's continued to avoid doing so for so long??

lawnseed

I'm certainly not a fan of Joe kernan, but your all forgetting his fantastic success at club level with not a grimley in sight. plain truth.. galway strike me as a lazy shower apart from p.joyce, when kernan tried to put his formula in place they resisted or they just couldn't perform simple tasks like defending in numbers. mccloskey had them in great shape the fault lies with the players they still think its the mid 80's where teams go out man mark and if your good enough you'll win. what armagh achieved is that they stuck to a plan that meant that no individual had to face the pete the great or the Joe brollys or the gooches they played as a team, and while  other teams had better individuals, the sum of the talents of the armagh players under this system was greater. i believe that it was infact the two Brian's that did the work, but they ran out of road, also Joes phenomenal success at club level cast a shadow over their tenure. i dont think anyone will think Joes legacy is tarnished by galways failure. people will know that he brings a 'management roadshow' with him, a sort of makeover show. i think he'd have done better in a county where the expectations are not as high as galways
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: bennydorano on July 11, 2010, 01:22:01 PM
Who's to blame for Cavan then??? 

While undoutbedly an astute man the Grimley myth continues to grow. Easier to be a Number 2 with no ultimate responsibility - take credit for the good, deflect the bad, make the snowballs for someone else to fire.

He cant be judged on his own merits until he takes a County team as the Number 1; anyone think there's a reason why he's continued to avoid doing so for so long??

Paul Grimley wasn't there that long was he? And no offence to Cavan but I dont think any manager in the country could sort them out at the moment. Historically they are the best team in Ulster but now they are one of the worst.

And so im not completely biased in Grimley's favour, with Armagh he inherited a great team which was built by the 2 Brians.

Maguire01

Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2010, 09:56:54 PM
What legacy? Everyone in Armagh knows Paul grimley was the brains behind the operation and Joe was the motivator and if the truth be told i reckon Joe cost Armagh at least one other all ireland if not two.
By that logic, Armagh lost out on more All Irelands because they weren't motivated. If that's the case, you have to blame the players just as much as Kernan.

lawnseed

perhaps he ran out of things to throw into the shower :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

The Konica

I love all these clowns who say Grimley was the brains behind the Armagh success and Joe was just a face.

What a load of rubbish.
Big Joe was the man with his head on the block and Grimley was an outstanding 2nd in command.

To say he was the main man is nonsense. He had his chance at the No.1 spot with Cavan and look where they went! Surely if he was the man they say he'd have done something with them?

Someone said Grimley has had success everywhere he's gone! A strawberry season with Kildare and one Championship win with Monaghan??
McGeeney, a new voice, new training, taking on the Kildare team alone with some motivation would have had the same effect year one and Monaghan aren't some new bunch of youngsters either, they're a hardened team.
He's not been a huge success with DCU either has he?

Grimley is a very, very good coach, but to take credit from Joe is very biased and unfair.

It's been a shocking start for Joe in Galway and God know's he needs time, but it'll take a while longer to destroy his legacy ... 

Carmen Stateside

Its hard to fly like an Eagle when your working with Turkeys!

Maguire01

Quote from: The Konica on July 11, 2010, 02:45:03 PM
Someone said Grimley has had success everywhere he's gone! A strawberry season with Kildare and one Championship win with Monaghan??
Make that 2 championship wins.
But I'd agree that he hasn't had that much work to do with Monaghan. He's not exactly starting from scratch.

INDIANA

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 11, 2010, 02:54:22 PM
But I'd agree that he hasn't had that much work to do with Monaghan. He's not exactly starting from scratch.

Disagree Grimley has added 50% to monaghan

The Konica

Sorry *2nd one hardly counts! ha ha!

I think that he's a great 2nd in Command, but to say he was the man behind Armagh's success is short sighted.
Obviously a few people on here with hidden agendas.

(Just noticed he's picked his teams well too.... Cavan, DCU, Kildare, Clontibret, Bank of Banty, none of whom are struggling for a few bob)

The Konica

Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2010, 02:58:03 PM

Disagree Grimley has added 50% to monaghan
They are 50% improved now? Well the AI is theirs then!! 
;D

How in God's name after one proper USFC match can you make that statement?

Banty himself has gotten them to Ulster finals and to within a whisker of Kerry on his own before ... this is not a bad Monaghan team.

DuffleKing