Jim Gavin

Started by imtommygunn, November 30, 2019, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

When Gavin manages to win it with Tyrone he will be the greatest. 

dublin7

How do you judge the greatest ever in sport any code?

What went on in the 70/80s for example cant be compared to standards today and that applies to all sports. Jim Gavin was the dubs greatest football manager end of story. Is he the greatest overall?

That's for historians to judge not idiots like pricereilly

rrhf

Preserving  a focussed humble yet ambitious environment in the Dublin camp despite all the success is something very few GAA managers have ever had to deal with Perhaps Cody /Dwyer/ Boylan / Heffernan and Harte. I think Gavin tips the tree, but his key next step is to really prove himself when he takes the Tyrone gig. 😜

From the Bunker

Quote from: lenny on December 06, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on December 06, 2019, 08:03:33 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 06, 2019, 08:56:47 AM
Alot of what passes for debate on social media is nonsense. Twitter can be useful at times, but alot of it hate fueled rubnish best ignored.

Whatever about the production quality of the prime time show, its fair enough to ask why the need to show it right after the dubs won the All Ireland.

Why do you think the real reasons for Dublin's success should be silenced? It's a national scandal. Disgraced former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is at the centre of it, along with the Bailey family. We've seen recent evidence of their dodginess.

Are we all supposed to just pretend we don't know about the millions upon millions of euro that has transformed Dublin GAA? Money taken from government funds and handed to Berties county. A full investigation should take place, we need this exposed just like the FAI are getting exposed now.

Some deadly bitter conspiracy theorists on here. When Kerry win 6 out of the next 7 or 8 all Ireland's will there be as much outrage? Bottom line is we've seen one of the best teams of all time managed by an all time great manager. Many of those players are coming to the end together which will mean a transition period. My opinion is that the replacements won't have the same quality.

You look at players that have retired since 2011. There has been a trickle every year.  Every year is a slight transition period. Flynn, Brogan, O'Gara, Connolly have only been bit players the last three seasons, hardly needed.  Their retirements mean little or nothing to the dynamic of the present group.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on December 07, 2019, 01:35:19 AM

What went on in the 70/80s for example cant be compared to standards today and that applies to all sports. Jim Gavin was the dubs greatest football manager end of story. Is he the greatest overall?

+1
I teetotally agree. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on December 07, 2019, 01:35:19 AM

Heffo revived football in the city . Was there not something about all Ireland teams before him being mostly made up of culchies?

Heffo inspired a generation of kids including Gavin. Without him there would have been no 95. Without the influence of the 95 team there might not have been the current team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Bookies have suspended betting on the next Dublin manager as punters have placed bucket loads of cash on Tommy Conroy to replace Jim Gavin.

rrhf

Great choice as I thought he was treated Poorly by the fans the last time.  Given more time he could have achieved the success that piller caffrey did afterwards. Nice to see the woulda healed in Dublin. There were some rumours during the week of Banty making a play as well but supposedly he is happy at Monaghan.

The Hill is Blue

I'm just back from DCU and the conferring of an Honorary Doctorate on Jim Gavin. It was a memorable event attended by over eight hundred people.

The College President summed up the feelings of all those present with the following words:
"As President, I am delighted that Dublin City University is paying tribute to Jim Gavin, a truly exceptional individual who, through his outstanding leadership, has made an immeasurable contribution to Irish sport, and the GAA in particular. He serves as an inspiration to all of us and I am very pleased that we have the opportunity today to formally recognise his achievements and to welcome him into the DCU family".

Well done Dr. Jim Gavin on receiving yet another well-deserved accolade.

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Sandy Hill

Dessie Farrell's the man, just announced!
"Stercus accidit"

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sandy Hill on December 12, 2019, 07:42:25 PM
Dessie Farrell's the man, just announced!

Dr. Dessie Farrell to all of ye in 5 years time!