Monaghan v Dublin AI Semi Final 15 July 2023

Started by donelli, July 13, 2023, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louther

Dublin seem to have mixed the good and the bad these days. For the tanking we got in the Leinster final they started poorly and give ball away constantly. When they pressed on our kickout and we'd no plan B (or even A) with a rookie (experienced outfield player) keeper, they finished the game in a 10 minute spell. We got joy off their kick outs the same day but game was gone before it ever got to the melting pot.

Monaghan will need to stay in the game as long as possible and make Dublin feel some pressure. The worry is I've not been impressed with Monaghans own kickout this year and they rely on easy ball. They don't have natural midfielders to take advantage of Beggans booming kickouts.

Wet day might help Monaghan make it a dirty battle and they've a punchers chance.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on July 14, 2023, 12:06:49 PM
Paul Flynn of the 6 in a row team on the unpredictibility of semifinals in his experience.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0714/1394516-paul-flynns-weekend-football-predications/Dublin and Monaghan clash this weekend

Through my experience, I've learned the hard way that semi-finals throw up surprises. We learnt that in 2014 playing Donegal when we were favourites going in and we sucker-punched.

Dublin were caught twice by Donegal. 1992 was a big shock (for Dublin at least).

Dublin would need to be naive in the extreme to go to Croke Park tomorrow and not expect an almighty ambush. Hopefully they won't be so naive.

COYBIB   
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Blowitupref

Monaghan team

Rory Beggan
Ryan O'Toole, Kieran Duffy, Ryan Wyllie;
Karl O'Connell, Conor Boyle, Conor McCarthy;
Karl Gallagher, Killian Lavelle;
Stephen O'Hanlon, Michael Bannigan, Ryan McAnespie;
Jack McCarron, Gary Mohan, Dessie Ward.

Subs: Darren McDonnell, Kieran Hughes, Conor McManus, Sean Jones, Darren Hughes, Shane Carey, Kevin Loughran, Conor Leonard, Francis Hughes, Colm Lennon

11 of that published 26 played in the 2018 All Ireland semi final.  (R Beggan,K Duffy, R Wylie, K O'Connell, D Hughes; R McAnespie, S Carey, C McCarthy, C McManus,K Hughes, J McCarron)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

restorepride

"Hill 16 Dublin only" - does yous still chant that from the Canal end?

Main Street

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 14, 2023, 04:03:43 PM
Monaghan team

Rory Beggan

Subs: Darren McDonnell, Kieran Hughes, Conor McManus, Sean Jones, Darren Hughes, Shane Carey, Kevin Loughran, Conor Leonard, Francis Hughes, Colm Lennon

11 of that published 26 played in the 2018 All Ireland semi final.  (R Beggan,K Duffy, R Wylie, K O'Connell, D Hughes; R McAnespie, S Carey, C McCarthy, C McManus,K Hughes, J McCarron)
From that potential line up  the only change from the 1/4 final is Lavelle in for Darren Hughes.

Monaghan have been written off  more times than the saying 'punching above weight' has been uttered  on the airwaves.
But I don't recall us being so totally written off  before a game as we are now, total as in a multi billion euro Anglo loan write-off.
Personally I'm copacetic  in regards to the game.

restorepride

Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2023, 10:52:21 PM
Monaghan team

Rory Beggan

From that potential line up  the only change from the 1/4 final is Lavelle in for Darren Hughes.

Monaghan have been written off  more times than the saying 'punching above weight' has been uttered  on the airwaves.
But I don't recall us being so totally written off  before a game as we are now, total as in a multi billion euro Anglo loan write-off.
Do you think Muineachán can win it?

Main Street

Quote from: restorepride on July 14, 2023, 10:57:37 PM
Monaghan team

Rory Beggan

Of course they can win tomorrow, depends on how the game goes.
The last memory Monaghan have is of relegating Dublin in a do or die league game for both teams, most of the current team only know of Monaghan beating Dublin in fiercely fought encounters.
This is s/f championship level  but this Monaghan team have punched above their weight eh, sorry about that, have improved by leaps and bounds this year.
Don't write off the written offs.

restorepride

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 12:03:57 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 14, 2023, 10:57:37 PM
Monaghan team

Rory Beggan

Of course they can win tomorrow, depends on how the game goes.
The last memory Monaghan have is of relegating Dublin in a do or die league game for both teams, most of the current team only know of Monaghan beating Dublin in fiercely fought encounters.
This is s/f championship level  but this Monaghan team have punched above their weight eh, sorry about that, have improved by leaps and bounds this year.
Don't write off the written offs.
Great stuff - go and win it.

marty34

James Mc Carthy is some operator. Consistently good and always makes an impact on the game. Great engine and can take a score or two.  Good defensively also.

To me, one of the best players ever.

Rossfan

Hoping for Monaghan by 1 or more but can only see Dublin by 5+
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

That (dirty oul) day reminds me of 2008, with a Dub loudly insisting beforehand that they had to beat us, since they (Dublin) were the only team that could beat Kerry -- that didn't turn out quite as he had predicted!  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Looks like it's going to be a dirty NFL weather day for this game..

restorepride

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 01:32:28 PM
Great day for an ambush!!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2023, 01:32:28 PM

It looks like it's starting to clear here  TG  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8