Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on June 02, 2022, 11:07:17 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2022, 08:53:15 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 02, 2022, 07:05:28 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 02, 2022, 12:50:08 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 01, 2022, 05:53:04 PM
Quote from: Franko on June 01, 2022, 04:07:40 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 03:12:14 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 01, 2022, 03:08:11 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 01, 2022, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 01, 2022, 02:27:50 PM
Sounds like nother white elephant like Pairce UI Caoimh that will never be filled.

Not to mention it's way out of the way for most of the province and Antrim have small support. Antrim could barely fill Corrigan Park for the Championship game again Cavan.

They're talking about hosting qualifiers there but like in Cork it isn't central enough for that. The biggest problem was that it was closed up in the first place, that was terrible leaving it falling down.

I won't pretend Clones isn't a dump that's really gone downhill but that's more the town than the stadium. It's not great either but for how much it gets used, a couple of big days a year it's surely adequate??

My main concern is the crowds aren't there anymore for this project and it sounds like it may not be used enough to justify it. I would have similar concerns about other big GAA infrastructure projects, such as Pairce UI Caoimhe.

There will be feck all up there by the looks of things outside of Ulster Championship semi finals and finals. If Cavan and Monaghan met in a Ulster Semi final or final that would be some trek to bring them all the way up there.

2 Northern teams in a qualifier would be a possibility but they are not going to be playing all Ireland quarter finals there it's to far out of the way unless again its two northern teams.

The GAA are putting £15 million towards this and that would have been better spent on some maintenance and lights in Clones and upgrades in other county grounds.

I though at least Antrim GAA were going to get good use out of it but that looks like it will be limited aswell.

To be fair, for most ulster teams, Clones is a trek. Derry and Donegal are neighbours but both had to trek down to Clones on Sunday.

That was the final though which is normal to play it in Clones.

I think that may change - Clones' number is up

In terms of travel, it's a total disaster for Derry, Antrim, Down and most of Donegal, so your argument about Cavan and Monaghan is pretty irrelevant

In the 6 counties, all roads lead to Belfast, so there's dual carriageway on all sides for a 30mile radius (roughly)

Some of the main roads into Clones have grass up the middle of them

I'd have been an advocate of having a stadium with a smaller capacity also - but that ship has sailed

The money is a one-time offer and the GAA is assuming less than 20% of the risk in terms of capital

So as trailer says - GET HER BUILT

Are you for real.  You obviously know nothing about the road that joins the 2 largest cities or anything about what unionism done to cut us adrift. Dual carriageway we wish. We aren't comparing clones to casement. we are saying it should be spent in the heartlands of mid Ulster where everyone gets a fair stab at travelling

A point of order.  The post I was replying to WAS comparing Clones to Casement.

And we've had the debate about Mid-Ulster.  It's nonsense to suggest planting a 35k stadium in the middle of an area with little or no infrastructure to support it.  Only an idiot would do that.

Why are you bringing up Derry again?  We all know what Unionism did to Derry.  It's a shambles of a City, and that's how they wanted it.  But the road you refer to will soon be over 70% dualled and to be fair, a lot of the people in the city do fcuk all to help themselves.

Derry GAA should have sold Celtic Park for housing at the boom time and built another stand at Owenbeg.

A great opportunity lost.

Unrelated. Different thread

Stadiums and Derry City in previous comment.

Point still stands.

Nobody is advocating for anything in Derry as far as i can see. This other lad think we have a great road network and thinks its ok to call people idiots and make wild disparaging remarks about Derry people. Not a great look, but here might have had a few drinks or something last night to kick off the jubilee

p3427977

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2022, 12:24:20 AM
27 minutes walk from station at Balmoral? On the way into Clones you park your car at that car park and dander same distance but that's ok...

It'll be quicker walking to Casement than Croke from Connelly seems no probs either...

Pubs around Casement, I can think of ten within short distance
Wolf & Whistle and Biddys are very close. That's really it though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: p3427977 on June 02, 2022, 01:27:27 PM
27 minutes walk from station at Balmoral? On the way into Clones you park your car at that car park and dander same distance but that's ok...

It'll be quicker walking to Casement than Croke from Connelly seems no probs either...

Our club is ten mins away, you've the PD across the street you've Fruithill sports club, you've the bar at the station in Balmoral you've St. Paul's club about 15 mins walk away you've Casement bar (hopefully that's kept! Doubt it ) the Rock and O'Donnells further on down the road (20min walk)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cornerback

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2022, 01:39:51 PM

Our club is ten mins away, you've the PD across the street you've Fruithill sports club, you've the bar at the station in Balmoral you've St. Paul's club about 15 mins walk away you've Casement bar (hopefully that's kept! Doubt it ) the Rock and O'Donnells further on down the road (20min walk)

Is the bowling club still there?  Nearly sure I was drinking in there before a Derry game in Casement... or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

There hasnt been an ulster football final in casement in a long time, I cant mind one, maybe 60s/70s?

The tradition, the magic, the history

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2022, 02:15:40 PM
There hasnt been an ulster football final in casement in a long time, I cant mind one, maybe 60s/70s?

The tradition, the magic, the history

"The tradition, the magic, the history" are to be found in Clones!
"Stercus accidit"

Upandover

Jesus christ more arguments in here than a school playground, over something that is so beneficial, a brand new gaa ground.

As stated all roads do indeed lead to belfast, the glider, the rail network etc.

On bars you have the devenish, hunting lodge, pd, biddys, wolf and whistle, the felons, glenowen, mcenaneys, the rock, beehive, all within a couple of miles at most and easily accesible by bus service running up and down the falls.

I for one cant wait to bring my kids to games in the new casement! One day if lucky enough they may even play there.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 02, 2022, 02:27:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2022, 01:39:51 PM

Casement social club is in the plans.

You also left out the Felons, McEnaneys & the Glenowen, all of which would be closer than some you mentioned.

Was going to mention the felons but you need to be a member  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Upandover on June 02, 2022, 02:51:47 PM
Jesus christ more arguments in here than a school playground, over something that is so beneficial, a brand new gaa ground.

As stated all roads do indeed lead to belfast, the glider, the rail network etc.

On bars you have the devenish, hunting lodge, pd, biddys, wolf and whistle, the felons, glenowen, mcenaneys, the rock, beehive, all within a couple of miles at most and easily accesible by bus service running up and down the falls.

I for one cant wait to bring my kids to games in the new casement! One day if lucky enough they may even play there.

There's a park and ride at the eastern end of the glider route in Dundonald, is there there similar at the western end?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Meet you at the back gates at 3 lol, bring your lunch money

Upandover

Quote from: johnnycool on June 02, 2022, 03:18:56 PM

There's a park and ride at the eastern end of the glider route in Dundonald, is there there similar at the western end?

Near sure there is.

Wildweasel74

I drink in the bowling club, cause outside of 2, the rest are too far away, who gonna walk 15/20mins to a pub opposite the direction u are travelling. then have to walk the same distance bck to the pitch. Nobody would drink down round Balmoral going to a game in casement Park if they travelling to the game from outside Belfast.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 02, 2022, 05:17:44 PM
I drink in the bowling club, cause outside of 2, the rest are too far away, who gonna walk 15/20mins to a pub opposite the direction u are travelling. then have to walk the same distance bck to the pitch. Nobody would drink down round Balmoral going to a game in casement Park if they travelling to the game from outside Belfast.

You'll drink in it if ya live near by of if you're getting off the train...

But it's not about the drinking, I'd say it's more about the match!!

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2022, 12:24:44 PM
Sounds like nother white elephant like Pairce UI Caoimh that will never be filled.

Not to mention it's way out of the way for most of the province and Antrim have small support. Antrim could barely fill Corrigan Park for the Championship game again Cavan.

They're talking about hosting qualifiers there but like in Cork it isn't central enough for that. The biggest problem was that it was closed up in the first place, that was terrible leaving it falling down.

I won't pretend Clones isn't a dump that's really gone downhill but that's more the town than the stadium. It's not great either but for how much it gets used, a couple of big days a year it's surely adequate??

My main concern is the crowds aren't there anymore for this project and it sounds like it may not be used enough to justify it. I would have similar concerns about other big GAA infrastructure projects, such as Pairce UI Caoimhe.

There will be feck all up there by the looks of things outside of Ulster Championship semi finals and finals. If Cavan and Monaghan met in a Ulster Semi final or final that would be some trek to bring them all the way up there.

2 Northern teams in a qualifier would be a possibility but they are not going to be playing all Ireland quarter finals there it's to far out of the way unless again its two northern teams.

The GAA are putting £15 million towards this and that would have been better spent on some maintenance and lights in Clones and upgrades in other county grounds.

I though at least Antrim GAA were going to get good use out of it but that looks like it will be limited aswell.

To be fair, for most ulster teams, Clones is a trek. Derry and Donegal are neighbours but both had to trek down to Clones on Sunday.

In terms of travel, it's a total disaster for Derry, Antrim, Down and most of Donegal, so your argument about Cavan and Monaghan is pretty irrelevant

In the 6 counties, all roads lead to Belfast, so there's dual carriageway on all sides for a 30mile radius (roughly)

I'd have been an advocate of having a stadium with a smaller capacity also - but that ship has sailed

The money is a one-time offer and the GAA is assuming less than 20% of the risk in terms of capital

Are you for real.  You obviously know nothing about the road that joins the 2 largest cities or anything about what unionism done to cut us adrift. Dual carriageway we wish. We aren't comparing clones to casement. we are saying it should be spent in the heartlands of mid Ulster where everyone gets a fair stab at travelling

And we've had the debate about Mid-Ulster.  It's nonsense to suggest planting a 35k stadium in the middle of an area with little or no infrastructure to support it.  Only an idiot would do that.

Why are you bringing up Derry again?  We all know what Unionism did to Derry.  It's a shambles of a City, and that's how they wanted it.  But the road you refer to will soon be over 70% dualled and to be fair, a lot of the people in the city do fcuk all to help themselves.

Derry GAA should have sold Celtic Park for housing at the boom time and built another stand at Owenbeg.

Point still stands.

Nobody is advocating for anything in Derry as far as i can see. This other lad think we have a great road network and thinks its ok to call people idiots and make wild disparaging remarks about Derry people. Not a great look, but here might have had a few drinks or something last night to kick off the jubilee

I've presented facts to you.

Regarding the road network, I don't think we've a great network, but all main arterial routes into Belfast are dual lane traffic.  A fact. 

The figures quoted about the status of the Belfast to Derry road are also accurate.

Thirdly,  ALL transport links are better in Belfast then in your proposed "Mid-Ulster"  location.  Again - just a fact.

There also is significantly more supporting infrastructure in Belfast than in "Mid-Ulster"

I didn't call you an idiot, but if you feel the cap fits - so be it.

I also stand 100% over the remarks I have made about some Derry people.

You prove the point perfectly here.  Instead of taking the Brits money and supporting something that should be a real shot in the arm for Ulster GAA -  you spend your time whinging and bleating that it's in the wrong place.  Couldn't be more representative of the attitude I was referring to.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on June 02, 2022, 05:55:30 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2022, 12:24:44 PM

Point still stands.

I've presented facts to you.

Regarding the road network, I don't think we've a great network, but all main arterial routes into Belfast are dual lane traffic.  A fact. 

The figures quoted about the status of the Belfast to Derry road are also accurate.

Thirdly,  ALL transport links are better in Belfast then in your proposed "Mid-Ulster"  location.  Again - just a fact.

There also is significantly more supporting infrastructure in Belfast than in "Mid-Ulster"

I didn't call you an idiot, but if you feel the cap fits - so be it.

I also stand 100% over the remarks I have made about some Derry people.

You prove the point perfectly here.  Instead of taking the Brits money and supporting something that should be a real shot in the arm for Ulster GAA -  you spend your time whinging and bleating that it's in the wrong place.  Couldn't be more representative of the attitude I was referring to.

" Only an idiot would do that".

Take the Brits money any day but in case you missed it they haven't been sending much this way. .

Derry to Belfast shocking road. Being improved yes we don't have " 30 miles of dual carriageway roughly" to Derry. You been down south recently, thats how it's done.

Be good to see a football final in casement but there is ABSOLUTELY NO history or tradition at that location. Strange decision