Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

2015 was Castlewellan's last appearance in a final, poor league form this year

Smurfy123

Gareth o Neill took over Castlewellan this year not a good start for the Crossmaglen man

downjim

Towns has not changed its team in 5 years- that's what's wrong.

elk

Quote from: UlsterMan2 on June 17, 2018, 01:11:48 AM
Watched a lot of football this year, the best footballer in down football this year is Connaire Harrison followed by Ryan O Hare of Ballymartin, who isn't even on down squad, and best refereeing performances have been by Ciaran Mooney of Rostrevor
You need to go and watch some 1st division games

Cuan12

Conor Deegans appointment if it's true will be a disaster, he lost that match against Derry when all who were present would have said it was impossible to lose, managerial experience in Down was without success and similar can be said of his spell on Dublin club football.However this could be another example of Sean og stating We have got our man, statement he used when Eamonn Burns was appointed, we are fast running out of candidates from the 1991-1994 era.
In case some of the contributors on here haven't noticed, good players don't always make good managers and to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of madness.
So out with the old and in with the new, Sean og, Eamonn and Conor bye bye!

thewobbler

Let's see how things materialise folks.

A senior football manager cannot be appointed until he is proposed by the executive / section committee, and approved by the county board (clubs).

So I'm guessing that even if Deegan is an avenue the executive might explore, there's more than a touch of Chinese whispers going on here.

Smurfy123

Wobbler was Burns appointment passed by the clubs? As far as I am aware the executive announced him as the new Down manager. I think this appointment will be svoyter disaster. Why can't we for once think outside the box and go for an outsider. Deegan will be another big disappointment

downjim

Smurfy123

Yes an outside manager clownjim

Cuan12

Yes, someone who has a proven track record , successful and would be a bonus if he could communicate with players.
Eamonn would have been proposed by the county executive , presented to clubs and then voted in.What annoys me is why does the executive have individual votes on deciding who is appointed because this can cause friction similar to what occurred with the appointment of Jim MCCorry when the clubs voted overwhelmingly to appoint him , only for Sean og and co at the top table to vote against his appointment, thus distorting the picture, but that's all in the past and maybe it's the Down Way, which is definitely not the away of many other counties.
Another question , is Sean og still paid by the Ilster council or Croke Park , I overheard he's now our responsibility - not good if we are looking value for money!

thewobbler

Paddy O'Rourke got removed from post by the county board even through he had full backing of the executive.

Things might be skewed in the executive's favour but the reality is it should be, they're the ones putting the time and effort into running our county.

But I think it's in everyone's interests to accept that they can actually only deliver a motion if a hefty percentage of clubs get behind it.

Cuan12

A panel of 3-5 people with footballing background should be appointed to source the candidates for the job and then those people should be presented to the club representatives for ratification, I take your point that the executive put a lot of time and effort but if they get an individual vote it means their clubs in effect get two votes.
However as been seen in the past the executive vote as one , they follow and have followed the secretary in the past and that means that block vote can mean the appointment of someone or the sacking of another which has previously happened.

Smurfy123

The panel of 3-5 does not work as 4 of them are normally on the executive. Go out and find the best possible candidate for the job and stop giving it to the easy option who will be a yes man to the top man.
This has been another depressing season for all our teams
Seniors relagated and hammered by Donegal in the championship
Under 20s just about overcome Antrim and beat by Derry
Under 17s beat Armagh in a dire match and lost to both Tyrone and Monaghan
When are the executives going to sit up and take notice?

Ambrose

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 18, 2018, 09:20:12 AM
The panel of 3-5 does not work as 4 of them are normally on the executive. Go out and find the best possible candidate for the job and stop giving it to the easy option who will be a yes man to the top man.

If you add the hurlers in to that mix, it really hasn't been a great year for anyone in Down.

Talk of Deegan being given the job at this stage is premature, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least, I'm sure we will get our man. Anyone even bothering to go to Enniskillen on Saturday. I can't see anything but a comfortable win for Cavan.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

johnnycool

Quote from: Ambrose on June 18, 2018, 01:10:03 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 18, 2018, 09:20:12 AM

If you add the hurlers in to that mix, it really hasn't been a great year for anyone in Down.

Talk of Deegan being given the job at this stage is premature, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least, I'm sure we will get our man. Anyone even bothering to go to Enniskillen on Saturday. I can't see anything but a comfortable win for Cavan.

The hurlers are very young and probably did OK in the CR only to get put out on a one point score difference, but yes your general sentiment is very valid.

We ended up not fielding in the Celtic Challenge as we didn't plan to have an U17 hurling team in the Leinster Minor championship at the same time as have an U16 development team in the Celtic Challenge games like every other "Tier One" county, but in saying that I don't think we have the playing base currently and that needs to be looked at if we're serious about development squads and what they're meant to achieve hurling wise.
There is currently no real forum to thrash these things out in hurling and I'd say the same is probably true in football with the internal cartel calling the shots.