Man sues Hermitage Golf Club for Lowering his Handicap

Started by DrinkingHarp, February 23, 2012, 01:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 01, 2012, 11:36:40 PM
In normal circumstances his handicap would be public if he is a member of the GUI or has a CONGU handicap and if you put your number in when you log in to www.howdidido.co.uk  you can select any club in Ireland or England, Scotland or Wales and see any players handicap. For example, I can log in to Ringdunferrin in Down and see everyones handicap.

Scary! Has golf always been as upfront about a player's handicap?

Bud Wiser

Afraid so, you tell me the player in Ireland and I will tell you his handicap. Got into a bit of a dispute last Saturday myself, I birdied 3 par 3 holes and also one of those 3 holes was nearest the pin in the competition. Queries arose over my handicap and a lad (at 9.30pm) in the bar simply sent a text and all my details came back to his phone instantly. Didn't matter though, I told him to f off with himself anyway !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 01, 2012, 11:36:40 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 01, 2012, 02:24:37 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 01, 2012, 02:07:27 PM
You might be dismissing it but apparently he wasn't a mile away from winning the case (not sure what he'd have been awarded). Judge said that as the wording on which he was suing was detailed to him on his private login with his handicap details wasn't made public, he had no grounds for claiming that they ruined his reputation, accused him of cheating etc. It was a private matter between him and the handicap committee.

If it had been on a public noticeboard, could have been a different outcome in his favour.

But it wasn't, and presumably it wasn't for a reason. The Devil's in the detail

Deiseach is as cute as an ould fox.  In normal circumstances his handicap would be public if he is a member of the GUI or has a CONGU handicap and if you put your number in when you log in to www.howdidido.co.uk  you can select any club in Ireland or England, Scotland or Wales and see any players handicap. For example, I can log in to Ringdunferrin in Down and see everyones handicap. Strange that every club is listed EXCEPT Hermitage or Lucan and only for the fact that this is the only club I see missing from the list is what could have cost poor old Tom half a million. It is also fair to say that Tom brought more attention to his handicap than if he was hitting holes in one on all 18 holes every day for a month and he must have a fairly bad swing if he missed the wife and let her bring him to another court to take as much off him.  Gaaboard "Tom Talbot Fundraiser" golf classic anyone
It's very strange that Hermitage is the only club in the British Isles that doesn't have the members' handicaps listed. There has to be a connection with the Tom Talbot case.
It just can't be mere coincidence.
The judge dismissed Tom's claim because his handicap wasn't made public- or so it seems.
Does that mean that he could have been awarded damages if the Hermitage details had been listed on this website?
If so, every other club on both islands had better watch out.
There may be trouble ahead...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bud Wiser

Thats the first thing I though when Deiseach flagged it.  I think the law in relation to defamation is that the details would have to be circulated to 12 people or more but it is certainly strange that every golf club except Lucan/Hermitage is missing from the list. There was another case out there a few years ago that cost a million in legal fees as well if you remember, one member hit another member a box in the face and the case went on for years. Lovely place with some fairly interesting members.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/golf-club-match-wager-ended-in-bloodbath-like-sopranos-2174857.html

The sopranos !!  :D ;D
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

thebigfella

Sorry Bud but you talking sh1te. Your club has to register for HowDoIDo and has nothing to to do with the GUI. You'll not find my handicap listed anywhere after I left South County; and I now play at one of the best courses in Ireland ;)

Bud Wiser

Quote from: thebigfella on August 04, 2012, 02:23:33 AM
Sorry Bud but you talking sh1te. Your club has to register for HowDoIDo and has nothing to to do with the GUI. You'll not find my handicap listed anywhere after I left South County; and I now play at one of the best courses in Ireland ;)

Good man, you got your chance to let everyone know that you left South County golf club and joined the best club in Ireland. Howdoido has more to do with Microsoft forums, the website I referred to is howdidido.co.UK. with regard to your handicap not being listed anywhere if you are the holder of a GUI card, I'm not even going to bother to explain.

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 21, 2014, 09:55:52 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 21, 2014, 08:11:20 PM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/golfer-faces-half-a-million-euro-legal-bill-over-handicap-30682249.html

I see your man lost his case anyways.
83 days?!  :o I think he has been shafted.

It seems he has made an absolute dog leg out of this. It's "rough" justice - somebody could get plugged over this whole affair. The papers will put their own spin on this. There could be a few barristers green with envy over not getting this gig. There could be links to this over the course of a few shots of liquor in the local clubhouse. The poor old man thought the result was in the bag when he saw an albatross in the Sky coverage but his case got wedged in the back lift in the "Fore" Courts.

When he putt his case to the judge, the whole thing just fell in a hole and the barristers had him by the ball. His driver took him every day for 83 days, some nights it was pitch black,  to see if they could iron things out. He's have taken a draw at the end but a wee birdie told him to scramble and get out of bounds cos there always hazards to be found when you drop shots like this.

Enough of that. This is par for the course now. He'd never make the cut as a legal eagle.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on October 22, 2014, 12:56:58 AM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/golfer-faces-half-a-million-euro-legal-bill-over-handicap-30682249.html

It seems he has made an absolute dog leg out of this. It's "rough" justice - somebody could get plugged over this whole affair. The papers will put their own spin on this. There could be a few barristers green with envy over not getting this gig. There could be links to this over the course of a few shots of liquor in the local clubhouse. The poor old man thought the result was in the bag when he saw an albatross in the Sky coverage but his case got wedged in the back lift in the "Fore" Courts.

When he putt his case to the judge, the whole thing just fell in a hole and the barristers had him by the ball. His driver took him every day for 83 days, some nights it was pitch black,  to see if they could iron things out. He's have taken a draw at the end but a wee birdie told him to scramble and get out of bounds cos there always hazards to be found when you drop shots like this.

Enough of that. This is par for the course now. He'd never make the cut as a legal eagle.
You could have left us some scraps  :D

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 22, 2014, 08:22:03 AM
Quote from: orangeman on October 22, 2014, 12:56:58 AM

You could have left us some scraps  :D

He is your Master(s).
MWWSI 2017

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 22, 2014, 01:33:05 PM
I think OM's post has putt this thread to bed

That would all depend on whether it's a favourable "lie" or not surely ?.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on October 22, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

You provided no links though, which was foul. I had to flag you on that.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2014, 06:25:49 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 22, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

You provided no links though, which was foul. I had to flag you on that.

Please don't drop me in it. I'll take a stroke especially if I see the bogey man.