The Official 2016 US Presidential election thread

Started by Eamonnca1, July 10, 2014, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Too soon? Yup. But I'm going to stick my neck out and pick Cory Booker.  A lot of parallels with Obama. Young, smart, media savvy, black, good stories to tell (didn't he run into a burning house and save someone?), progressives like him, bipartisan work ethic (working with Rand Paul to fix the mass incarceration crisis), and by the time 2016 comes around he won't have been in the senate long enough to have picked up a dodgy voting record. He's denied that he's going to run of course, but so did Obama at this stage of the game. Hillary has too much baggage and too many skeletons in and out of the closet. Booker's a better bet IMHO.

J70

Another black liberal president? The fox news/tea party crowd will literally be up n arms!

J70

Who will be the Republican nominee? Cruz is unelectable. Paul might have some crossover appeal, but will a libertarian carry the yahoo vote? Will we have another clown car?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2014, 06:40:29 AM
Who will be the Republican nominee? Cruz is unelectable. Paul might have some crossover appeal, but will a libertarian carry the yahoo vote? Will we have another clown car?

The GOP will have to finish their internal civil war between the Tea Party and the sane people if they're to stand a chance of anyone to the left of Genghis Khan winning their nomination.  They have a long way to go before they get back to reality-based politics. Couldn't see that happening this side of 2016.

screenexile

Here lads Trump's up 20pts in the latest polling data is this actually going to happen??

He runs from one gaffe to the next and seems to be f**king bulletproof in the polling. Is this evidence that a vast amount of Americans are stupid?

Hilary is up even more than and given the operator she is you can't help but think she would wipe the floor with Trump were he to get the nomination. There is a real leadership vacuum in the US at the minute if these 2 are the best on offer!!!

seafoid

It's only december and the primaries have not yet started. The GOP need someone who can get more than the 40% gop vote . That means reaching out to women and Latinos. Cruz or Rubio would seem to be more likely to manage that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

foxcommander

I thought you liberals would be on board with a Al Sharpton/Kanye West ticket.

President Trump is more realistic. Sounds regal. Can't wait until he starts deporting the illegals and cracking down on crime.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

screenexile

Quote from: foxcommander on December 04, 2015, 01:31:35 PM

President Trump is more realistic. Sounds regal. Can't wait until he starts deporting the illegals and cracking down on crime.

Have you dug out that video of the thousands of Muslims in Jersey?

What about Obama's Kenyan birth certificate have you found that yet?

Do you agree that John McCain who endured endless and insufferable pain for years at the hands of the Vietnamese isn't a war hero?

Do you support Trump's mocking of those with disability and labelling of Mexicans as drug dealers and rapists?

The man is a clown at best and a complete asshole at worst definitely someone you want in control of the nukes!!

Having said that I'd nearly prefer he keeps going as he is because while he wins over gun toting racist stone age Christians in the Primaries his antics are not going to play in a general election and Hilary is probably having a chuckle to herself!!

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on December 04, 2015, 01:46:35 PM

Do you agree that John McCain who endured endless and insufferable pain for years at the hands of the Vietnamese isn't a war hero?

Do you support Trump's mocking of those with disability and labelling of Mexicans as drug dealers and rapists?

The man is a clown at best and a complete asshole at worst definitely someone you want in control of the nukes!!

Having said that I'd nearly prefer he keeps going as he is because while he wins over gun toting racist stone age Christians in the Primaries his antics are not going to play in a general election and Hilary is probably having a chuckle to herself!!

Another couple of terrorist attacks on US soil and ALL logic will go out the window

Secondly,  the election is decided by a tiny minority of voters....the swing voters in the swing states

It really doesn't matter what everyone thinks....it matters what these people think

easytiger95

Swing voters are swing because they can display both liberal and conservative attitudes on varying issues. However - since Mr Trump is currently campaigning somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan he removes them from the equation. Republican primary voters are a far different creature from the general election voters. If you have Trump as the GOP nominee, no matter what, the Dems win. But his long term effect could be to permanently swing the Republicans to a racist/extremist position, leaving them out of the Oval office for a generation.

Personally, I think what it is more likely is that the GOP try to do him in by drafting a Romney or someone like that (who loses, but doesn't scare the horses and gives Hilary a tough fight all the way), and he takes a Tea party/freeedom caucus rump into a third party bid.

The republicans are in a very difficult position re San Bernadino, given that if the perps were terrorist, all their rifles, sidearms and munitions were legally acquired. Indeed, I saw a stat today that in the decade after 9/11, over 2,500 people who were on terrorist watch lists were able to legally buy weapons. And they just voted down a bill to exclude those on this list from eligibility for gun permits. They can't be gung ho on dem dar Muslins on one hand, whilst handing them an AK with another. The Dems have at least as much ammo in their magazines.

J70

It is hilarious to watch Trump storming through the weeks and months, telling the mouth breathers what they want to hear, exposing a significant portion of the GOP base, horrifying the powers of the party who would rather all these xenophobic and intolerant sentiments didn't find expression. They keep predicting that the latest faux pas will trigger his downfall, yet here he still is six months later, six weeks before Iowa!

The Clintons are laughing their holes off!

J70

The problem with the no-fly list is that anyone can end up on it through no fault of their own and they don't tell you.

Think Ted Kennedy ran afoul of it!

foxcommander

The american people voted for "change" (what a laugh that was) with the Kenyan lad and didn't get it. They believe that a straight talker (his flaws make him seem more down to earth) might deliver. That's why he's still topping polls.

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on December 04, 2015, 04:39:15 PM

The american people voted for "change" (what a laugh that was) with the Kenyan lad and didn't get it. They believe that a straight talker (his flaws make him seem more down to earth) might deliver. That's why he's still topping polls.

They got change.

It's just that certain segments didn't like it ("we want our country back!") and threw a hissy fit and purged their party of anything resembling a moderate or centrist and expressed their bitterness at losing, repeatedly, to Obama by calling him a Kenyan or a muslim or communist etc.

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on December 04, 2015, 05:20:52 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 04, 2015, 04:39:15 PM

They got change.

It's just that certain segments didn't like it ("we want our country back!") and threw a hissy fit and purged their party of anything resembling a moderate or centrist and expressed their bitterness at losing, repeatedly, to Obama by calling him a Kenyan or a muslim or communist etc.

They got a change alright