Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stibhan on January 04, 2013, 03:49:17 PM
Also, these analyses of sport, culture and national identity in schools really leave a lot to be desired, especially given that I went to a Catholic Grammar school at around the same time as Rory and our school promoted Rugby, Golf, Soccer, GAA and Basketball, Waterpolo, Athletics, Rowing. It's ridiculous to try and pigeonhole a person in this way.
Black bastard.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2013, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: stibhan on January 04, 2013, 03:49:17 PM
Also, these analyses of sport, culture and national identity in schools really leave a lot to be desired, especially given that I went to a Catholic Grammar school at around the same time as Rory and our school promoted Rugby, Golf, Soccer, GAA and Basketball, Waterpolo, Athletics, Rowing. It's ridiculous to try and pigeonhole a person in this way.
Black b**tard.

>:( Less of that sort of chat! Some of my best friends are filthy black b*****ds!

:P
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

heganboy

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
It seems that several posters on this thread like to resort to implying that those they do not agree with are less intelligent. Such posters, no doubt mensa members, should have little problem refuting points made by the less intelligent and this would be a better contribution to discussion.

Can you point out an example or two?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

An example or two of what?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
It seems that several posters on this thread like to resort to implying that those they do not agree with are less intelligent. Such posters, no doubt mensa members, should have little problem refuting points made by the less intelligent and this would be a better contribution to discussion.

That's an extraordinary interpretation of the debate and I fail to see where intelligence comes into it. Why does this assumption that someone who disagrees with you is presuming to be more intelligent than you apply to this thread only and not to every other discussion here?

Orior

I'm a huge fan of Rory. I'm certainly not criticising Rory but I am entitled to be disappointed in his decision not to opt for Ireland. Does that help to clarify things?

The debate on non-denominational schools needs to go on its own thread.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on January 04, 2013, 04:24:47 PM
I'm a huge fan of Rory. I'm certainly not criticising Rory but I am entitled to be disappointed in his decision not to opt for Ireland. Does that help to clarify things?

The debate on non-denominational schools needs to go on its own thread.
Your disappointment is premature. Save it for when (not if) he choses Team GB.

AQMP

Quote from: Puckoon on January 04, 2013, 02:36:26 PM
It's weird to see all this declaration of "he's a catholic" or questions about the denomination of teachers. That is not what defines many people any more.

There's some very limited thinking from posters who you'd want to give credit to for having a baseline of intelligence, but reading their thoughts on this matter make me wonder if they're really a whole lot smarter than the w**kers and their flags.

Just to clarify, my input on this subject was a response to a genuine query from michaelg.  My main concern over education would be the poor standard of teaching whatever the teacher's beliefs.

Applesisapples

Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2013, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd be pretty annoyed if he played for the Brits.

Me too

I wouldn't want him playing for Ireland if he really didn't want to.
I would rather if the spot went to someone who was proud to represent the country,flag and anthem should they win.
I agree, he is being forced to back track here, quite happy to wrap himself in the Loyalist Ulster Flag with no concern over the meaning for his nationalist co religionists of this rag. Let the Brits have him they are welcome.

trileacman

Is the school of thought that says McIlroy has to play for "our Ireland" not the same school of thought that says James McClean should be playing for OWC?

The people who championed McClean's hard-earned right to play for the republic are the very same people who now dictate who McIlroy should play for. He has a choice that he is free to make. If I was him I'd have choose the South but f**k it, I couldn't give a shite what he chooses to do. Is criticising McIlroy for his decision to declare his nationality as "Northern Irish" not as bigoted and backward as those who would criticise McClean/Wilson/Gibson for considering themselves Irish?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 04, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2013, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd be pretty annoyed if he played for the Brits.

Me too

I wouldn't want him playing for Ireland if he really didn't want to.
I would rather if the spot went to someone who was proud to represent the country,flag and anthem should they win.
I agree, he is being forced to back track here, quite happy to wrap himself in the Loyalist Ulster Flag with no concern over the meaning for his nationalist co religionists of this rag. Let the Brits have him they are welcome.

So did you also have the same attitude for Barry McGuigan when he choose to fight for the British title and had death threats because of it?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Quote from: trileacman on January 04, 2013, 04:48:50 PM
Is the school of thought that says McIlroy has to play for "our Ireland" not the same school of thought that says James McClean should be playing for OWC?

The people who championed McClean's hard-earned right to play for the republic are the very same people who now dictate who McIlroy should play for. He has a choice that he is free to make. If I was him I'd have choose the South but f**k it, I couldn't give a shite what he chooses to do. Is criticising McIlroy for his decision to declare his nationality as "Northern Irish" not as bigoted and backward as those who would criticise McClean/Wilson/Gibson for considering themselves Irish?

Spot on. Some people need to take a look in the mirror, they might just see some OWC posters looking back at them.
Testing Accessibility

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2013, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 04, 2013, 04:48:50 PM

Spot on. Some people need to take a look in the mirror, they might just see some OWC posters looking back at them.

Here they are

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Christmas Lights

From an olympics point of view, in my opinion, he should play for Ireland for the simple reason is that team GB will be strong enough with all the current English, Scottish and Welsh golfers on the circuit.  Poulter, Westwood, Donald et al so they will be strong enough with moire than enoygh top 10 golfers in the world to support "TEAM GB".

Should be like the boxing and rugby, anyone on this island plays for Ireland.

Golf as an olympic sport also is a bit of a joke, no need for it.