Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Orior on October 04, 2012, 11:27:26 PM
The sentiment is this thread would suggest that some people would be happy to see NI flags at Gaelic matches in the six counties.

Hmmmm.

As your Avatar suggests - you need to get your eyes fixed.

Milltown Row2

The sentiment is this thread would suggest that some people would be happy to see NI flags at Gaelic matches in the six counties.

Hmmmm.

Or it would suggest that people are more worried about flags than Gaelic games

Hmmmmm.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Olaf

Rory...great golfer .

Any relation to Sammy?

LeoMc

Hmmmm.

Wouldn't worry me in the slightest. Cant attach the image but remember a big NI flag with "For Peter  and Ulster" flying in Croke Park. :D

Applesisapples

Quote from: nifan on October 04, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 04:22:40 PM
People will always make unreasonable associations. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and does not belong to the IRA.

The NI flag doesnt belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

The importance of legal status seems to vary wildly with some people.
Ehhh I consider myself northern Irish, and I don't associate with it.

Applesisapples

The point lost by most here is that in the North we do not have a shared uniting flag/symbol. Both sides tend to use exclusive symbols and flags. The only answer is to give equal status to both Irish and British Flags. The Golfers from NI should be using the Union Flag as it is the official flag of the "region".

Bugsy

People will always make unreasonable associations. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and does not belong to the IRA.

As an Irish man I'd like to to disassociate myself from the tricolour. Any idea how I can stop poeple from associating it with me?

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 05, 2012, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 04, 2012, 05:02:32 PM

The NI flag doesnt belong to terrorist organisation, whether it has legal status is neither here nor there. People who consider themselves northern irish associate with it.

The importance of legal status seems to vary wildly with some people.
Ehhh I consider myself northern Irish, and I don't associate with it.

But not Northern Irish? The flag is associated with people who see themselves as residing in  Northern Ireland. I presume that you don't?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 05, 2012, 12:06:42 PM
The point lost by most here is that in the North we do not have a shared uniting flag/symbol. Both sides tend to use exclusive symbols and flags. The only answer is to give equal status to both Irish and British Flags. The Golfers from NI should be using the Union Flag as it is the official flag of the "region".
I'd agree with this. The Ulster Banner is nothing more than a modified English flag, in fact I'd say it represents England more than it represents anything Irish. What annoys me is this rag is still used as the de facto flag for the North despite it having no status whatsoever. Not surprising then when I see this flag I immediately think of lamp posts because 9/10 that's where one is most likely to see one.

If Rory wants to drape himself in it fair fucks to him but he may as well have an England flag over his shoulders - it's time the thing was replaced with something that actually represents Ireland - after all the name is a bit of a give away.

stew

Orior, we have already sold our souls, the GAA allowed soccer and Rugby to be played on Croke Park soil, the butchers apron was displayed for all to see.

If some of you who are worried about the NI fleg, (whatever norn Ireland is) then take a stand and dont ever show up at HQ again, never mind, you should have done that the second GSTQ was played at Croke Park.

Fcuk all flags, and that includes the tri color, all they are in our wee piece of the world are divisive and I have more to worry about than McIlroy and a couple of flags.

One last thing, I would not give a shit if some eejits took NI flags to an Armagh game, it would mean that the GAA were making inroads into 50% of the population that don't support our games.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 05, 2012, 12:06:42 PM
I'd agree with this. The Ulster Banner is nothing more than a modified English flag, in fact I'd say it represents England more than it represents anything Irish. What annoys me is this rag is still used as the de facto flag for the North despite it having no status whatsoever. Not surprising then when I see this flag I immediately think of lamp posts because 9/10 that's where one is most likely to see one.

If Rory wants to drape himself in it fair f**ks to him but he may as well have an England flag over his shoulders - it's time the thing was replaced with something that actually represents Ireland - after all the name is a bit of a give away.

Why not rename Northern Ireland the Kingdom of Ireland and then the North can go back to the Kingdom of Ireland flag, then both parts can actually call themselves just Ireland and Use "Kingdom of" or "Republic of" to distinguish themselves.

For United Ireland Sports, GAA (as an All-Ireland body), or other things where both parts work together, we could use a 4 quartered flag with 2 Kingdom of and 2 Republic of flags on it. It could be a possible flag for a United Irish Republic or (United Irish Kingdom!!!) in the future.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

nifan

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 05, 2012, 02:32:24 PM

The ulster banner is a modified Ulster flag as far as im aware - background colour changed - i dont think it is the st george cross.

Why does the fact it has no staus bother you so much? Does it bother you when people use the ulster flag?

Rossfan

The Ulster flag obviously has some status - in Gaa/Rugby/Boxing/Golf at least.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Olaf

He's a great golfer and handles the fame/adulation fairly well IMHO.

Golf is his priority............... as it should be. In terms of character he is streets ahead of Woods , even when  adding this flag nonsense into the mix.

nifan

Quote from: Rossfan on October 05, 2012, 04:12:32 PM
The Ulster flag obviously has some status - in Gaa/Rugby/Boxing/Golf at least.

As does the NI flag, in Golf, football, the commonwealth games etc

But here we have arguments, for example
"The Golfers from NI should be using the Union Flag as it is the official flag of the "region"."

Ulster has no "official flag" so what should be used in this case. The only "official flags" that cover ulster completely are the tricolour and the union jack. So perhaps these should be used by entities representing the ulster "region", which has no legal status as a region either.