NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 30, 2023, 12:13:37 PM
Jack O'Connor has claimed Donegal had a point wrongly awarded to them during their 0-13 to 1-9 Allianz Football League first round victory over Kerry.

The Kingdom boss was seen remonstrating with referee Liam Devenney after the final whistle in Ballybofey over Caolan McColgan's contentious 30th minute point which appeared to curl wide in the wind at the last second and ultimately decided a tight contest.

"Donegal had a point there that was blatantly wide. Everyone in the stand - ye saw that did ye?" O'Connor is quoted as saying by BBC NI.

"It was a yard wide. Holy Jaysus but anyway it is what it is. You don't get many breaks when you're coming to away grounds like this. Just disappointing because I felt we deserved a point out of it at minimum."

The All-Ireland winning manager continued: "That shouldn't be happening. The linesman said it was wide yet he goes with the umpire. That's an incredible decision in a Division 1 game.

Very bitter from O'Connor and to state that they deserved at least a point is very harsh on Donegal imo. It was a game of two halves and Donegal finished up the better side after they gained a bit of belief and with the crowd getting behind them I felt as though they always looked the more likely winner once the sides drew level.

I don't think Kerry have too much to worry about though, they will get stronger as the weeks go on as they get players back.

naka

Armagh / Mayo this Sunday will be interesting , let's see if the hype about Armagh is correct or was last year another false dawn.
Was at blayney and thought Armagh were comfortable in the second half but the Mayo/Galway  game was played at a far higher level .

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Jack O'Connor has claimed Donegal had a point wrongly awarded to them during their 0-13 to 1-9 Allianz Football League first round victory over Kerry.

The Kingdom boss was seen remonstrating with referee Liam Devenney after the final whistle in Ballybofey over Caolan McColgan's contentious 30th minute point which appeared to curl wide in the wind at the last second and ultimately decided a tight contest.

"Donegal had a point there that was blatantly wide. Everyone in the stand - ye saw that did ye?" O'Connor is quoted as saying by BBC NI.

"It was a yard wide. Holy Jaysus but anyway it is what it is. You don't get many breaks when you're coming to away grounds like this. Just disappointing because I felt we deserved a point out of it at minimum."

The All-Ireland winning manager continued: "That shouldn't be happening. The linesman said it was wide yet he goes with the umpire. That's an incredible decision in a Division 1 game.

It did look wide to be fair. Jack was fair cranky anyway! I'd be more concerned with fellas kicking the ball wide from in front of goals myself. Donegal were much better team in second half aswell.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Armagh18

Quote from: naka on January 31, 2023, 09:13:46 AM
Armagh / Mayo this Sunday will be interesting , let's see if the hype about Armagh is correct or was last year another false dawn.
Was at blayney and thought Armagh were comfortable in the second half but the Mayo/Galway  game was played at a far higher level .
Looking forward to it myself. Would like to think we'll give a good account of ourselves especially at home!

seafoid

Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal don't seem to be the teams of the next 5 years in Ulster
I don't think it's a false dawn but let's see
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 31, 2023, 11:40:13 AM

It did look wide to be fair. Jack was fair cranky anyway! I'd be more concerned with fellas kicking the ball wide from in front of goals myself. Donegal were much better team in second half aswell.

A late Kerry point from the left wing looked dodgy as well after it got caught in that wind.

Brendan Devenney on his podcast was adamant it was wide.

rodney trotter

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2023, 12:17:13 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 31, 2023, 11:40:13 AM

A late Kerry point from the left wing looked dodgy as well after it got caught in that wind.

Brendan Devenney on his podcast was adamant it was wide.

Ciaran Whelan mentioned that on the RTE podcast. O Connor was like a bull but Kerry got a point in first half that was wide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNurGRMgqLw

imtommygunn

Yeah I thought one of Kerry's was dodgy too. Made himself look a bit silly but will be forgot about soon enough.

blanketattack

Quote from: yellowcard on January 30, 2023, 06:17:06 PM

Very bitter from O'Connor and to state that they deserved at least a point is very harsh on Donegal imo. It was a game of two halves and Donegal finished up the better side after they gained a bit of belief and with the crowd getting behind them I felt as though they always looked the more likely winner once the sides drew level.

I don't think Kerry have too much to worry about though, they will get stronger as the weeks go on as they get players back.

Normally losing away to Donegal by a point with a weakened team would be fine but that's a very weak Donegal team.
Especially when you consider McBrearty was dominated by Foley throughout, restricting him to just one long range point.
Bad sign for the extended members of the Kerry panel that they lost.
Main positive for Kerry was Paul Murphy, although getting into Kerry backline for Championship will be difficult.
Graham O'Sullivan with 6 assists and a point in the AI final.
Tom O'Sullivan has had a great 2 years bar the 22 final.
Foley and Morley the fulcrum of the backs.
White and Begley had very impressive 2022 campaigns.

seafoid

This is what it feels like to have Sundays loaded with intercounty matches again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG16bdJDarA

bennydorano

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 31, 2023, 11:45:53 AM
Looking forward to it myself. Would like to think we'll give a good account of ourselves especially at home!
Apart from 10-15 mins at start of 2nd half Armagh were pretty poor, so getting 2 points was a job well done. Mayo a different kettle of fish, Ruane will Lord MF if we line out the same. Hall to the bench, Soupy to HF and an established MFer in there.

Ulster Frank

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 31, 2023, 12:28:50 PM
Yeah I thought one of Kerry's was dodgy too. Made himself look a bit silly but will be forgot about soon enough.

Jack putting down a marker with the referees for later in year. If Carlow manager done that would be suspended for 12 months.No doubt someone from the Kerry mafia will speak about how referees are against them . 🙄

seafoid

Jack hasn't won back to back all Irelands in his previous incarnations.

onefaircounty

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2023, 02:46:22 PM
Armagh / Mayo this Sunday will be interesting , let’s see if the hype about Armagh is correct or was last year another false dawn.
Looking forward to it myself. Would like to think we’ll give a good account of ourselves especially at home!
Apart from 10-15 mins at start of 2nd half Armagh were pretty poor, so getting 2 points was a job well done. Mayo a different kettle of fish, Ruane will Lord MF if we line out the same. Hall to the bench, Soupy to HF and an established MFer in there.

Who though?

Crealey, two Mackins and Oisin O'Neill all out.

Is Stephen Sherifan the only reconised out and out midfielder floating around the first 26?

Rian O'Neill or Murnin may have to do a bit of fire fighting - but the latter may not have the mobility for it.

Edit: Jarly Og too, of course.

Armagh18

Quote from: onefaircounty on January 31, 2023, 04:38:48 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2023, 02:46:22 PM

Who though?

Crealey, two Mackins and Oisin O'Neill all out.

Is Stephen Sherifan the only reconised out and out midfielder floating around the first 26?

Rian O'Neill or Murnin may have to do a bit of fire fighting - but the latter may not have the mobility for it.

Edit: Jarly Og too, of course.
Hope to see Niall Grimley. He won a great mark the other night.