Drug testing in the GAA may be introduced to clubs

Started by imtommygunn, November 29, 2022, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 01, 2022, 11:30:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 01, 2022, 08:21:01 PM
Why should it apply at club level, there no funding involved,
I wouldn't fancy going up against someone off his nut on coke or someone pumped full of steroids, would you?

There's been plenty of lads on steroids in the GAA, going back decades. But the reality is that the game moves too quickly for an out and out power lifter to be any use. So it tends to be a focused use of steroids.

There's been plenty of lads played GAA when coked up too. You'd never actually know the difference in the vast majority of people (unless you know them well), apart from an overactive jaw and them talking too much. From what I've observed coke is a bit like alcohol: some people get paranoid and aggressive, but most just get more confident. When they mix up drink and coke things get more obvious as they're simultaneously going in different directions.

——

Anyhow. Is it not enough that our Association provides the facilities, structures and means for young adults to avoid the trappings of drugs? Can it really also be our responsibility to police and govern our communities too?

I don't think so.

I'm a capable administrator. I'm a passable coach. But I'm not a social worker, and never will I be. If a lad's natural tendencies and upbringing means are they are more interested in getting off their tits than playing sport, then it's not on me to try to correct their course .f**k that for a game of darts.

Gmac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 03, 2022, 12:50:12 AM
I played a game half drunk one time, where do you stop, was in the pub 11-1pm with a game at half three, had a stormer of a first half, destroyed in the 2nd, lol.
posting a lot safer for everyone.

harryR

Played first soccer/groundball game today in a while. In the club bar afterwards (other teams) I couldn't believe the amount of lads sneaking into the toilets and at times just passing keys to each other while having a pint and watching the football. Maybe alot more of a problem than I thought as wouldn't be something from where I live really

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 01, 2022, 09:19:46 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 01, 2022, 09:18:26 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 01, 2022, 09:08:14 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 01, 2022, 08:13:50 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 01, 2022, 07:51:41 AM
It's definitely more open in Belfast these days. How do you conclude people are doing it more openly when driving?

Maybe he can smell it from parked cars. I've noticed this myself.
Yeah noticed this myself a good bit. Daft

Ormeau park riddled with weed - I'd run through it a lot. Definitely getting more open in the streets too.

The smell of weed walking through Downpatrick in pungent

That's dog shite you're smelling  ;)