Drug testing in the GAA may be introduced to clubs

Started by imtommygunn, November 29, 2022, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Quote from: Eire90 on November 30, 2022, 08:24:50 PM
Lots of dealers are seen as pillars of the community types upstanding citizens types  some  theorys out their about the gaa and coke too.

Thats another scary thing, it used to be 'scumbags' dealing, now it's what you'd have called real decent people.

thewobbler

Is there another thread / forum whereby the contributors to this thread are egging each other to see who can deliver the most outlandish and sweeping statement? Surely this delirium above cannot be organic?

imtommygunn

I remember when playing years ago I'd to go to the house of a boy who played ~15 years previous. He informed me that it was no wonder we weren't doing well with all the drugs the team were taking. I'm from a small rural community where I knew pretty much everyone and you had max a couple who "dabbled". I know drugs are a problem however I can't help but feel there is a lot, and I mean a lot, of exaggeration goes on about the scale of the problem.

I feel the GAA goes over and above in educating and it's a great thing but the testing is a step too far IMO.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 01, 2022, 08:13:50 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 01, 2022, 07:51:41 AM
It's definitely more open in Belfast these days. How do you conclude people are doing it more openly when driving?

Maybe he can smell it from parked cars. I've noticed this myself.
Yeah noticed this myself a good bit. Daft

Truth hurts

Lots of dealers are seen as pillars of the community types upstanding citizens types  some  theorys out their about the gaa and coke too.

drug dealer = pillar of the community... say what?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 01, 2022, 09:08:14 AM
It's definitely more open in Belfast these days. How do you conclude people are doing it more openly when driving?

Ormeau park riddled with weed - I'd run through it a lot. Definitely getting more open in the streets too.

Truth hurts

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 01, 2022, 09:18:26 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 01, 2022, 09:08:14 AM

Ormeau park riddled with weed - I'd run through it a lot. Definitely getting more open in the streets too.

The smell of weed walking through Downpatrick in pungent

imtommygunn

There are a lot of people who can control weed and just do recreational smoking of it. Then there are others who it a stepping stone for and then there are others who do so much of it that it makes them paranoid as hell.

The question is what you want the outcome to be here... If a player smokes a small bit of weed are they going to get banned? outed as a drug user / abuser? It's a slippery slope I would say.

Also I would say a point in that article is interesting... "heightened aggression" which hints at the fact there is an assumption this is due to drug abuse. Is there really heightened aggression in the game these days?

clarshack

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 01, 2022, 09:09:21 AM

sure women have c*cks these days. It's the twilight zone!

Truth hurts

At the club level, this could only be introduced for performance-enhancing drugs. We couldn't include recreational since doing so would alienate a lot of our own people.

Rossfan

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 01, 2022, 09:49:33 AM
At the club level, this could only be introduced for performance-enhancing drugs. We couldn't include recreational since doing so would alienate a lot of our own people.
Maybe Clubs could supply the lads with their favourite drugs.
Could be a good earner....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 01, 2022, 09:09:21 AM

Don't think thats what he's saying, think he means people who seem to be really decent pillar of the community types are actually drug dealers behind it as well

Wildweasel74

Why should it apply at club level, there no funding involved,

grounded

Yes parked cars and also cars queued up in traffic. Windows down smoking away, you can't miss the smell. They shouldn't be in control of a vehicle.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 01, 2022, 08:21:01 PM
Why should it apply at club level, there no funding involved,
I wouldn't fancy going up against someone off his nut on coke or someone pumped full of steroids, would you?