Drug testing in the GAA may be introduced to clubs

Started by imtommygunn, November 29, 2022, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Quote from: general_lee on November 29, 2022, 05:10:03 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 01:49:21 PM
Quote from: befair on November 29, 2022, 01:45:20 PM
Alcohol is a much bigger problem than cocaine will ever be
completely disagree. Alcohol will do you little or no harm in moderation.
So will coke.

Depends on what it is mixed with.

Cavan19

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 29, 2022, 01:00:58 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on November 29, 2022, 12:31:17 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2022, 12:16:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 12:01:56 PM
Cocaine is a massive societal problem in the UK and Ireland at the minute. Something needs done.

Is it the job of the GAA to do it though?

It's not their job but whose is it? 

The resources are not there for the police/gardai to deal with it and the country is flooded with it. 

It's near more acceptable now to use cocaine than to go out for a smoke.

There was a bunch of suicides in an area in Cavan the last few years and everyone was putting in down to mental health and lockdowns but when the surface was scratched there was a drug problem and one of the lads who was doing the supplying was  a highly though off member of the GAA team and former county player.

where abouts was this in Cavan? I ever knew this

I'd prefer not to say it wasn't anything that made news but was well known in the area.

On the percentage of lads on it our lads were out one night recently and going by the amount of carry on in jacks i'd say that 12 out of the starting 15 are at it.

RandyDupree

Quote from: trailer on November 30, 2022, 12:31:16 PM
If you are going to ruin your life you will. No matter if it is drugs, alcohol, gambling. In many cases that person was destined to be a f**king disaster. If it wasn't drugs it would be alcohol or gambling or something else. Eradicating drugs isn't the answer nor is it the whole problem.

That is an absolutely ridiculous post.

tonto1888

Quote from: RandyDupree on November 30, 2022, 01:18:52 PM
If you are going to ruin your life you will. No matter if it is drugs, alcohol, gambling. In many cases that person was destined to be a f**king disaster. If it wasn't drugs it would be alcohol or gambling or something else. Eradicating drugs isn't the answer nor is it the whole problem.

from a ridiculous poster

shawshank

Not entirely ridiculous, just a bit generalised. SOME people who have these addictions are genetically predisposed to some addiction, it could be stamp collecting as much as drugs etc.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: shawshank on November 30, 2022, 02:55:54 PM

Not entirely ridiculous, just a bit generalised. SOME people who have these addictions are genetically predisposed to some addiction, it could be stamp collecting as much as drugs etc.

And I would expect a manager/club if they saw this behaviour to offer help. I wouldn't expect a public expulsion from the entire GAA to be that help.

joemamas

Don't live in Ireland, but you do hear that it is becoming more common.
Now I drink my fair share and maybe more but,
Biggest thing I don't understand;
Do any of these young people care about the potential long-term effects on their organs. Heart especially.
How do the users at local level trust what they are putting into their bodies.
How do they trust their source and that dealers source.
How long before a bad or contaminated batch that is mixed with (Fentanyl) or some other poison kills or incapacitates three or four people at one time.
The amount of unintended overdoses in the US and the suffering from it is terrible.
Not an expert and maybe they are completely different drugs, but the outcome is scary nonetheless.

Finally, why dont the Gardai open up a confidential hotline to out the dealers at local level, it would be a starting point.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: joemamas on November 30, 2022, 06:31:51 PM
Do any of these young people care about the potential long-term effects on their organs. Heart especially.
How long before a bad or contaminated batch that is mixed with (Fentanyl) or some other poison kills or incapacitates three or four people at one time.
The amount of unintended overdoses in the US and the suffering from it is terrible.
Not an expert and maybe they are completely different drugs, but the outcome is scary nonetheless.

Finally, why dont the Gardai open up a confidential hotline to out the dealers at local level, it would be a starting point.
The Gardai do.

Fentanyl is heroin, very different story.

A major reason for the rise in cocaine use is the exorbitant price of hooch.

Armagh18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 30, 2022, 06:46:50 PM
Quote from: joemamas on November 30, 2022, 06:31:51 PM

The Gardai do.

Fentanyl is heroin, very different story.

A major reason for the rise in cocaine use is the exorbitant price of hooch.
Fairly common knowledge in the north who the dealers are, majority of whom are police informants.

trailer

It's absolutely isn't.

trailer

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 30, 2022, 01:38:23 PM

from a ridiculous poster

I hate yourself highly as well.

*rate

LOL!

Eire90

Lots of dealers are seen as pillars of the community types upstanding citizens types  some  theorys out their about the gaa and coke too.

grounded

Sliding badly off topic, however very noticeable the number of people openly snoking dope while driving. Every bit as bad as drink driving but very few convictions. 

imtommygunn

It's definitely more open in Belfast these days. How do you conclude people are doing it more openly when driving?

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 01, 2022, 07:51:41 AM
It's definitely more open in Belfast these days. How do you conclude people are doing it more openly when driving?

Maybe he can smell it from parked cars. I've noticed this myself.