Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Superb win for Bredagh today in the SHC, beating Ballygalget by 2 today down there.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

johnnycool

Quote from: Square Ball on October 03, 2021, 11:12:56 PM
Superb win for Bredagh today in the SHC, beating Ballygalget by 2 today down there.

No qualms from us, better team won on the day.

I see they are also set to play Ballycran in our place this Sunday due to the unavailability of Carryduff I'm assuming.

They also might fair better against Ballycran with a bit of space for their forwards to operate in.

Truth hurts

What a win for St Pauls on Saturday versus Attical, they are a club on the up. Darragh Cross was too strong for Newry Shamrocks and the defeat against Liatroim good be what they needed.
On the SFC front, Bredagh gave Maobridge a scare but the experience saw them pull away in the last 1 or so, they need to be a lot more clinical if they are going to proceed. Carryduff push on after grinding a victory out v the Stone and Clonduff looked impressive v a lacklustre Warrenpoint, McGarry is a massive loss for them but John Boyle has not reached the heights of the last few seasons. A clean sweep of underage football titles by South Down clubs again! Are they doing something down there that needs to be fed to other clubs as we need to improve wholely as a county? In A competitions it seems to be competed by the same few teams every year. In years gone by there used to be a shock team every few years but it seems clubs like Burren, Ballyholland, Mayobridge, Byransford are competing for the honours every year.

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on October 04, 2021, 08:48:52 AM

I see they are also set to play Ballycran in our place this Sunday due to the unavailability of Carryduff I'm assuming.

They also might fair better against Ballycran with a bit of space for their forwards to operate in.

What way do the groups etc work? Do they go to semi finals? What do the groups count towards? (or group I assume...)

knockitdown

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 04, 2021, 08:49:42 AM
What a win for St Pauls on Saturday versus Attical, they are a club on the up. Darragh Cross was too strong for Newry Shamrocks and the defeat against Liatroim good be what they needed.
On the SFC front, Bredagh gave Maobridge a scare but the experience saw them pull away in the last 1 or so, they need to be a lot more clinical if they are going to proceed. Carryduff push on after grinding a victory out v the Stone and Clonduff looked impressive v a lacklustre Warrenpoint, McGarry is a massive loss for them but John Boyle has not reached the heights of the last few seasons. A clean sweep of underage football titles by South Down clubs again! Are they doing something down there that needs to be fed to other clubs as we need to improve wholely as a county? In A competitions it seems to be competed by the same few teams every year. In years gone by there used to be a shock team every few years but it seems clubs like Burren, Ballyholland, Mayobridge, Byransford are competing for the honours every year.

The point can't keep looking to John Boyle, he must be 36 at this stage

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2021, 09:09:32 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 04, 2021, 08:48:52 AM

What way do the groups etc work? Do they go to semi finals? What do the groups count towards? (or group I assume...)

Top two go into the final..

currently both Portaferry and Ballycran are sitting at played 4, won 3 so look to be favourites to progress.

Bredagh would need to win both their remaining games against both and hope we beat either one of those two then score differences come into it.

1   Portaferry   4   3   1   0   90   69   21   6
2   Ballycran   4   3   1   0   92   75   17   6
3   Bredagh   4   1   3   0   75   89   -14   2
4   Ballygalget 4   1   3   0   74   98   -24   2

imtommygunn

Ah I did wonder. Bredagh kind of get it tough. They'd senior football saturday then hurling yesterday. I don't know how much overlap there is but there's at least Danny Hughes's sons who seem to be their main men.

Yeah looks to be a bit too much to expect them to get to the final but at least there is now another team there to threaten you ards boys  ;D

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2021, 12:24:15 PM
Ah I did wonder. Bredagh kind of get it tough. They'd senior football saturday then hurling yesterday. I don't know how much overlap there is but there's at least Danny Hughes's sons who seem to be their main men.

Yeah looks to be a bit too much to expect them to get to the final but at least there is now another team there to threaten you ards boys  ;D

They've been beating us Ards boys right up through underage for quite a few years now and have finally been able to get some of those young lads to commit to senior hurling then they're definitely going to be in the mix for the next while.

All good in my mind whilst we ourselves need to develop more players and have been hit hard with injuries the pleasing thing was that we started one 18yo, and brought on two others and none looked out of place albeit they could do with learning some "ahem" dark arts as they're a tad soft in certain scenarios..

imtommygunn

Tbh I think covid has helped clubs like Bredagh. I think some of the belfast clubs tend to have a lot of younger ones who travel and haven't been able to. (I honestly think that is why Rossa so much better in antrim but anyway that's for another thread)

A few ards derbies will harden them up in no time ;D

Truth hurts

After last nights performance I can see Clonduff going on to win Frank, they won it in 81 and 2001, they are due one

The_big_bad_wolf

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 04, 2021, 01:57:13 PM
After last nights performance I can see Clonduff going on to win Frank, they won it in 81 and 2001, they are due one

Truth hurts just to correct you, Clonduff won Frank in 1980 & 2000

Johnnysboys

Interesting draws tonight.
Looks like the harps are heading for their third semi final in a row. Clonduff v Downpatrick could be interesting , Kilcoo will hammer carryduff and the noisy neighbours could come a cropper v Mayobridge..
all to play for..

Truth hurts

Ballyholland must get the luckiest draws in Ireland, Carryduff will worry Kilcoo for a while but the magpies will storm through. Clonduff should take RGU and Burrens excellent youth players will take them easily into the semi-final.

Truth hurts

I am only after hearing about the u15 plate championship final, Tullylish v St Johns. Tullylish full forward scored 4.5 or something, was not in the winning team photo. Apparently a ringer from Banbridge and illegal. Congratulations on your u15 plate victory Tullylish  :D

upandwin

Interesting draws...

RGU could beat Clonduff if they turn up but they will need a lot to go right for them and hope Clonduff have an off day. Burren will beat Mayobridge 9 times out of 10 in that fixture. The sky blues are afraid of Burren I think. They have had them on the ropes for the last four or five years in league games and always conspired to lose it with a last minute goal or ship 4/5pts in the dying minutes somehow. Would love to see the Bridge win but can't foresee anything other than Burren by 3/4.

Kilcoo will always just do enough and probs won't give too much away. Glenn could trouble Harps but I think Ballyholland will have just enough to win. Ballyholland get some amount of easy draws...but they'll not get past the semi final once again. If they play Kilcoo, Burren or Clonduff/RGU they'll get spanked.

Semi Finals will be Kilcoo v Clonduff and Burren v Ballyholland.