Wicklow v Longford - LSFC Aughrim 26 May 2013 at 3.30 pm

Started by Shamrock Shore, April 29, 2013, 03:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Shamrock Shore

Good man Peter O'Reilly - our very own Frank Murphy - I know this is a hurling story but read on:

AN astonishing oversight by Croke Park will leave Tipperary sharpshooter Lar Corbett and Kilkenny defender JJ Delaney free to line out in the first round of their respective provincial championships.

A rulebook technicality means that, provided he recovers from a rib injury, Corbett can play against Limerick on June 9 in the Munster SHC semi-final – with Delaney also eligible for Kilkenny's Leinster SHC quarter-final clash against Offaly in Tullamore on the same day.

Corbett and Delaney, both former Hurlers of the Year, were sent off in last Sunday's NHL Division 1 final at Nowlan Park following a second-half goalmouth fracas, and four-week time-based suspensions have been proposed.

It had been thought that the pair would each receive one-match bans, to extend from the league into the first round of the championship, but a recent case involving Longford defender Barry Gilleran appears to have cleared them.

Gilleran is free to play against Wicklow in the first round of the Leinster SFC, despite being red-carded in the final league game of the season against Louth on April 7.

This came about after Longford officials successfully appealed the championship ban to the Central Appeals Committee (CAC), on the basis that the rule under which Gilleran was suspended effectively expired on December 31, 2012.

A rule introduced in 2012, covering the National League and championship, ensured that if a player was sent off in a competitive match, he was thereby suspended for his team's next outing.

Central Council extended that rule into 2013 at a meeting early this year, but Longford successfully argued that the governing body did not have the power do so.

When Annual Congress in Derry retained the 2012 rule, the 2013 National League campaign had already begun.

Consequently, Gilleran's one-match ban applied under a rule that had expired at the end of last year and was not officially in place for the 2013 campaign. Longford, exploiting a loophole relating to rule 7.2 (b) of the GAA's Official Guide, won their case on that basis.

Qwerty28

Theres a bonus although dont agree with the use of a technicality to get it but will prob need all the help we can get!

Shamrock Shore

David Barden has exited, stage left, from the county panel it would seem.

Why, I don't know.

Probably rows in the Clonguish camp.

thejuice

Wicklow 2/1

Draw 7/1

Longford 8/15

Actually thought Longford would be a bit stronger favourites for this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

panc56

Odds are way off. This game is 50/50 with Aughrim an awful kip to play in. If we don't build an early lead we could be in trouble. I see they've done a Seanie Johnston with some free taker from Tipperary.

I don't have too many good memories of Wickla. Up the Larries.  ;D

Donnellys Hollow

Wicklow do not look as strong without Leighton Glynn and Tony Hannon. If Longford can limit the supply into Seanie Furlong they should have too much.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Shamrock Shore

No sign of a team yet?

I expect Paul Barden to be named on the starting 15 - surely he cannot go on forever?

Shamrock Shore

Longford team to face Wicklow this Sunday

1 Damien Sheridan,

2 Dermot Brady,              3 Barry Gilleran,         4 Declan Reilly

5 Colm P. Smyth,             6 Michael Quinn,         7 Shane Mulligan

8 John Keegan,             9 Michael Brady

10 Bernard Mc Elvaney, 11 Paul Barden(Capt.)12 Pádraig Mc Cormack

13 Robbie Smyth            14 Francis Mc Gee       15 Sean Mc Cormack

16 Paddy Collum, 17 Fergal Battrim,  18 Kevin Diffley, 19 Barry O'Farrell, 20 Donal Mc Elligott, 21 Aidan Rowan,  22 JJ Matthews, 23 Shane Doyle, 24 John Paul Reilly, 25 Niall Mulligan, 26 Paul Kelly.

Qwerty28

Fairly experienced side, especially the backs and great to see Paul starting, hopefully his fitness will stand up to a good 50-55 mins seeing he only played 35 mins in the whole league. Will need Stan to be on form from frees if we hope to progress. Not too many stand out options form the bench it would appear but then again Glen doesnt seem to be one for using all 5 subs whether thats through choice or lack of options.

Hard to be too confident due to poor league and our lack of ability to close out tight games but I'll be optimistic and hopefully we can do enough to scrape through by 2-3 points...

Shamrock Shore

Any Longfordian gaaboard member travelling to Augrim?

I'll be there with the 9 year old daughter - time to get her used to her Dad's pain.

I'd say Insider is going.

Perhaps we should have a gathering.

Or better still, with a win hoepfully, leave to the game agin Meath where Hardy can come to represent Meath and his honoroary Longford-ness

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on May 20, 2013, 04:35:06 PM
Wicklow 2/1

Draw 7/1

Longford 8/15

I think the odds for richer Leinster counties are always arseways.
If Kildare were playing Donegal they'd probably be unbackable.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 25, 2013, 11:06:06 AM
Any Longfordian gaaboard member travelling to Augrim?

I'll be there with the 9 year old daughter - time to get her used to her Dad's pain.

I'd say Insider is going.

Perhaps we should have a gathering.

Or better still, with a win hoepfully, leave to the game agin Meath where Hardy can come to represent Meath and his honoroary Longford-ness

I'd be looking forward to that, were it not for a just-discovered monumental scutter-up. Meself and herself got a Christmas present of a pair of tickets for Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the RDS from the young lad in Australia. I noticed a few weeks ago that the the gig is on the same weekend as the Meath-Longford (sorry about that, Wickla) game. Great, says I - gig on Saturday, match on Sunday - makings of a great weekend.

Then yesterday I discover the match is on the Saturday - and at exactly the same time as I'll be beyant in Dee Four, probably getting pissed upon, if my last visit there is anything to go by. At least this time it's not The Eagles.

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2013, 11:16:35 AM
Quote from: thejuice on May 20, 2013, 04:35:06 PM
Wicklow 2/1

Draw 7/1

Longford 8/15

I think the odds for richer Leinster counties are always arseways.
If Kildare were playing Donegal they'd probably be unbackable.

There's some truth in that, at least as regards Kildare - dunno about Wicklow. Whatever, I think Longford -2 at 11/10 (Boyles, PP) is sufficiently attractive for an investment.