Will Mayo go negative ?

Started by Mike Sheehy, August 17, 2011, 07:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diehard

we know there is a deep antipathy toward us from Mayo folk after 04/06 so we know they are just looking for and opportunity to get revenge.

I dont think it is like that at all Mike.  The fact that Mayo (like any other team in Ireland) would dearly love to beat Kerry is a testimony to the status in which Kerry football is held throughout the country and nothing more.  Getting hammered in 04/06 would only add to Mayo's enjoyment if they were to win on Sunday.
As regards the physical stuff - every team  needs to be able to stand up for themselves or else they neednt bother togging out at all.  Its not really about 'physical stuff' - its about still being able to play good football when the hard tackles are going in.  Any team that looses sight of this in favour of sledging is on a loser and neither team are that daft.

RogerMilla

beating kerry will mean f**k all if we dont land sam , that being said... i dont care how we beat kerry  ;D

ross4life

Mayo don't generally play a negative style but might try it if they are leading by a point or two with a couple of minutes to go.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

We ll have to play a defensive game. We have been all year, to a degree in most games. Even in London we played a 'sweeper' much to people s astonishment. But it was correct to use one because there are few enough games in the year anyway for players to get used to playing a certain way that might be unfamiliar. If that is negative then so be it. It is essential for 2 reasons. It should help keep the Kerry score down and gives us a better chance of winning than we would have in a shoot out. And as importantly, we need to prevent a Kerry landslide victory at all costs. Even if Kerry win we can look back and see progress made this year, provided we compete with them. A hockeying would not be a good way to end the year and the negative old shite from many quarters at home would begin again. There d be more knee jerks than a Michael Flately routine. Last time we were sent into a 4 year blackhole whick sucked away any hope or joy from the county.So it s essential we keep it tight.
  As regards belting and smashing - that just would not be be a good idea. Not saying we re choirboys or anything and county players have to be able to mind themselves but we re young and even the older lads like Dillon and Andy - not their game to be beltin people. In fact you d be hard pushed to pick out a gouger at all.
Mike is only spinning with the antipathy thing. Sure how could we feel any bitterness towards them for 04/06? Not their fault that we were set up shite both days. The antipathy we had was for our own. Now Meath in 96. That was different. We was robbed and then they got annoyed because they thought we were not subordinate enough after and we had the cheek to cry fix. Now that is antipathy.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Jinxy

I really hope Mayo win the All-Ireland.
It will be like year zero for them.
What went before will fade from their collective memory.
And they will FINALLY shut up about 96.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on August 18, 2011, 07:27:30 PM
I really hope Mayo win the All-Ireland.
It will be like year zero for them.
What went before will fade from their collective memory.
And they will FINALLY shut up about 96.

Suppose ye have the same problem with Louth and a Leinster title ;)

Jinxy

Yeah they never shut up either.

armaghniac

I think that if you subtract Kerry's score from Mayo, the result will be negative.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kerry Mike

Never mind the negatives come out and play football , man to man score for score and let the best team win, that's how we will play it.  :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Jinxy

macdanger2

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 18, 2011, 08:58:37 PM
Never mind the negatives come out and play football , man to man score for score and let the best team win, that's how we will play it.  :P

If there's one thing about Kerry lads, it's that they'll always talk a bit of sense.....

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 18, 2011, 08:58:37 PM

That is my fear. They have been told,in fact,  almost goaded, by other counties that they always "lie down" to Kerry etc, etc so I think this will play into their attitude on the day. I think they will be very physical and I have no doubt that the like of Galvin , O'Se will respond so we will be in for an ill-tempered game littered by fouls and sendings off. I hope I am wrong but I don't think so.

highorlow

I think there is a turning of the tide and this Kerry are a very soft version of the past with their tattoo's and fashion hair cuts. 15 big time charlies.

At the same time and in saying all that they still can play like the old Kerry for a 20 minute spell in a game.

As long as Mayo stem this 20 minute period we will win and we will just have to avoid Kerry dirt tactics towards the end to avoid lads getting sent off and suspensions for the final.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go