Will Mayo go negative ?

Started by Mike Sheehy, August 17, 2011, 07:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

I've seen a long of comments along the lines of Mayo getting "stuck in to Kerry" and the like.....along with a few sly digs about Galvin and his "man bags" and the whole fashion thing, as well as comments about having Donaghy and gooch 'whinging' with 5 mins to go. There seems to be a growing perception that Mayo will take Kerry on physically and that they will win that battle...a kind of unspoken feeling that Kerry aren't "up for it" in that respect. Also, we are not stupid, we know there is a deep antipathy toward us from Mayo folk after 04/06 so we know they are just looking for and opportunity to get revenge. I see a very intemperate encounter ahead with a few sendings off.

Is this the Mayo thinking..? If so, will they be able to back it up ?

StoneWall

I didn't think fishing season had opened yet Mike?!?!  ;)

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: StoneWall on August 17, 2011, 08:32:11 AM
I didn't think fishing season had opened yet Mike?!?!  ;)

With all due respect Stonewall, if the Mayo lads are too afraid to engage in an honest discussion about the game and where they are coming from then they have lost the battle already.

All I am asking is "do they think that they can prosper from taking on Kerry physically ?  and do they think there is weakness that they can exploit there ?"  Many of the comments so far suggest they think they can prosper there and , if anything, are agitating for physical confrontation...I would just like them to expand on that point.

If you think that is fishing then so be it...I prefer to look on it as a sharing of opinions between friends.

Lar Naparka

A Mhaidhc, a mhac,
You had me worried for a minute; I was getting afraid that you were going to strangle yourself with your fishing line.
I think I qualify as a Mayo lad and I don't think I'd be afraid to engage in 'an honest discussion about the game' or anything else with you or anyone else.
There! I can't be fairer than that, can I?
While I'm at it, would you care to comment on this?
"Many of the comments so far suggest that they can and, if anything, are agitating for physical confrontation...I would just like them to expand on that point."
I can't expand on any point when I don't have a point to expand on.
Quotes please if you don't mind.
I'm all for "a sharing of opinions between friends."
I've already gone on record too state that you are my friend so it's up to you.
Okay, I know I did call you my very goat-like friend but that's a minor detail.
So, am I your friend?
If I am, then ignus caput as my old Latin teacher used to say; Fire ahead!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 17, 2011, 10:33:28 AM
With all due respect Stonewall, if the Mayo lads are too afraid to engage in an honest discussion about the game and where they are coming from then they have lost the battle already.

I doubt the game will be either won or lost on this discussion board or any other....

This sunny weather is no good for landing salmon ;)

Frank Casey

From www.met.ie. Twill be a grand day but it might be a bit soft for the Mayo lads going home.

Sunday will have good dry, bright spells everywhere, with parts of the south and southeast staying largely dry, but some scattered showers will occur, mainly in Connacht and Ulster. Temperatures returning to around normal, with maximum values of 16 to 20 C. Winds mostly moderate a west to northwest.
KERRY 3:7

Sam2011

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 17, 2011, 07:28:00 AM
I've seen a long of comments along the lines of Mayo getting "stuck in to Kerry" and the like.....along with a few sly digs about Galvin and his "man bags" and the whole fashion thing, as well as comments about having Donaghy and gooch 'whinging' with 5 mins to go. There seems to be a growing perception that Mayo will take Kerry on physically and that they will win that battle...a kind of unspoken feeling that Kerry aren't "up for it" in that respect. Also, we are not stupid, we know there is a deep antipathy toward us from Mayo folk after 04/06 so we know they are just looking for and opportunity to get revenge. I see a very intemperate encounter ahead with a few sendings off.

Is this the Mayo thinking..? If so, will they be able to back it up ?

I don't think revenge is really what these lads are thinking. This Mayo team are playing more with pride now. This is a word i been hearing among the players and management a lot which is great because i haven't heard for a few years. Also a lot of the who will be playing Sunday were not around in 04/06.
James and co and the lads are smart and they will know what to be expecting Sunday and what to do in each situation. They won't be fooled into any physical battle. I'm sure though they won't be afraid to  throw in a good aul shoulder now and again!

ONeill

Kerry worried about Mayo I think.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Sam2011

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Jinxy

A good downpour would suit Mayo.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Stevie g 8

the best way to beat a defensive system is long quick ball into the "star" not trying to carry the ball like cork did

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on August 17, 2011, 12:36:22 PM
A good downpour would suit Mayo.

The spuds are coming along fine without any more rain around Mayo, thank you very much. Pissing down now as I type.

Mayo4Sam

Depends on how u define negative Mike.

Was AOSs hit on O'leary negative? Not for me, you can be sure he'll line Galvin up for one of those first chance he'll get.
Mayo will hunt Kerry in packs around the 40
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

iorras

Alot of points there Mike, when I read the title of the thread I assumed you were asking would Mayo go all defensive, 12 men behind the ball kind of thing. That wasnt what you ended up asking but to answer that question, if you were asking it, no not really, I think Mayo will try and play very tight, because if they dont Kerry will wallop us, but I dont think it'll be some kind of 12 men behind the ball tactic a la Donegal and to a lesser extent Kildare. The reason for that is because we probably cant, it hasnt been a tactic this team has used and I cant see James Horan bringing in a complelty new playing style for an All Ireland semi final. That would almost be impossible to try and enact.
Mayo do need to do something defensively however as every team so far that we've played in the championship has created some very clear goal chances that they should really have taken, both Galway and Roscommon missed sitters at key times, Cork missed two and London had their chances also. It would be out of characther for Kerry to miss similar chances, and if they get them I cant see the Mayo forward line outscoring them. Having said that, there are still alot of unknowns with this Mayo team, I was confident enough of a good performance against Cork as I knew we would win a fair share around midfield, the question was of course could we limit their scoring and make the most out of our chances. We know what happened. So the Mayo forward line could surprise us and cut loose, we just dont know, but I would be surprised. I think this is a 16, 17 point team on a good day, simple question is can they play to their capabilities and reduce Kerry to less than that.
As regards "going physical", well I dont really get the point to be honest. Isnt gaelic football a physical game? If your suggesting that Mayo's tactic might be to come out and start flaking Kerry and think that will win the game, well that would be niave in the extreme. This is a very experienced, seasoned Kerry team, a few belts wont shake them and belting has never won a football game anyway, kicking scores has and thats what Mayo need to do, kick every single changce they get, then theres a good chance.
For me this game is probably a question of age, is the Kerry age profile an advantage? Will hey use their vast experience to outplay and outthink Mayo? Is their age against them and inversely can Mayo use their lower age profile as an advantage to outrun and out play Kerry, or indeed is that actually a disadvantage for Maoy in that Kerry could come out, shake the jersey and head back home in a final? I dont think that will happen but then again I thought we had a chance in the 2004 and 2006 finals so what do I know about it? I am pretty confident that if Mayo dont sucumb to the blitz they'll face in the first 20 minutes and are still in the game at half time then they have a great chance. I think JOC willattempt to do, as he has the last 3 times his team have played Mayo in championship try and finish the game in the first 20. It worked the last 3 times, I hope it doesnt this time.