Donegal v Dublin semi final 28-8-11

Started by Blowitupref, August 07, 2011, 03:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 03:09:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 07, 2011, 02:50:18 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2011, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 07, 2011, 01:49:48 PM
Well we'll be going in as underdogs again, just like the Kildare and Tyrone matches. Looks a big step up, based on yesterday, however. There's no way in hell Dublin will knock over 20 points from play against us, but I would be worried about midfield, where Dublin totally outclassed Tyrone for most of the game and our attack, where we will find scores hard to come by against a good Dublin defence. Kildare cleaned us out at midfield for long stretches, although we dominated there for a couple of periods, enough to keep us in the game and ultimately win it. O'Carroll did very well on Murphy in the U-21 final last year and I'd expect Dublin to have two or three men around him again whenever the ball comes in. We will benefit from the hype which is sure to build up now around Dublin, especially if Mayo manage to surprise Kerry. And if Dublin can reproduce yesterday's form, we will be up against it. That said, we can all think of numerous occasions over the years when teams have gone on to struggle after spectacular performances. So I think we have a decent chance, as long as we defend with as much discipline as we have to date, compete well enough for the breaks and Murphy can win enough ball up front. Gilroy will no doubt have his B team packing their half of the field in their practice matches and will have his homework done, but I'm sure McGuinness will be hard at work too. Will definitely be an interesting tactical battle.

Surely the reason Dublin will have all them extra players around Murphy will be because Donegal won't have enough players forward for them to mark??

If Donegal just lump long ball up the field from a defensive position, that would certainly be the case. But are you saying that Dublin won't flood back when Donegal build by handpassing out of defense? They looked to have numerous men in there yesterday when Tyrone forwards got on the ball, especially in the first half.

Tyrone's gameplan was mindboggling. Short handpasses straight into contact. Tyrone's newer players yesterday simply werent up to it. Especially up front. SON on one leg is better then all their other forwards put togther.

I cant imagine Donegal tactically will make the same mistake. Only thing I would say the Dublin 21's completely dismantled Mc Guinness's system last year in the All-Ireland u21 Final. So the tactical battle will be interesting.

Donegal will be ravenously hungry. They havent won an all-ireland. They have some very good players but to win they have to win midfield.

I actually think they played their best football against Kildare when they came out and played.

The game itself is likely to be an awful spectacle for at least 40mins. Donegal's entire system is built on staying within 3-4 points of the opposition.

I think it will be Dublin toughest game of the year.

Helped by half the Donegal team suffering from food poison.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

INDIANA

Quote from: spuds on August 07, 2011, 06:04:20 PM
Well we'll be going in as underdogs again, just like the Kildare and Tyrone matches. Looks a big step up, based on yesterday, however. There's no way in hell Dublin will knock over 20 points from play against us, but I would be worried about midfield, where Dublin totally outclassed Tyrone for most of the game and our attack, where we will find scores hard to come by against a good Dublin defence. Kildare cleaned us out at midfield for long stretches, although we dominated there for a couple of periods, enough to keep us in the game and ultimately win it. O'Carroll did very well on Murphy in the U-21 final last year and I'd expect Dublin to have two or three men around him again whenever the ball comes in. We will benefit from the hype which is sure to build up now around Dublin, especially if Mayo manage to surprise Kerry. And if Dublin can reproduce yesterday's form, we will be up against it. That said, we can all think of numerous occasions over the years when teams have gone on to struggle after spectacular performances. So I think we have a decent chance, as long as we defend with as much discipline as we have to date, compete well enough for the breaks and Murphy can win enough ball up front. Gilroy will no doubt have his B team packing their half of the field in their practice matches and will have his homework done, but I'm sure McGuinness will be hard at work too. Will definitely be an interesting tactical battle.

Surely the reason Dublin will have all them extra players around Murphy will be because Donegal won't have enough players forward for them to mark??

If Donegal just lump long ball up the field from a defensive position, that would certainly be the case. But are you saying that Dublin won't flood back when Donegal build by handpassing out of defense? They looked to have numerous men in there yesterday when Tyrone forwards got on the ball, especially in the first half.

Tyrone's gameplan was mindboggling. Short handpasses straight into contact. Tyrone's newer players yesterday simply werent up to it. Especially up front. SON on one leg is better then all their other forwards put togther.

I cant imagine Donegal tactically will make the same mistake. Only thing I would say the Dublin 21's completely dismantled Mc Guinness's system last year in the All-Ireland u21 Final. So the tactical battle will be interesting.

Donegal will be ravenously hungry. They havent won an all-ireland. They have some very good players but to win they have to win midfield.

I actually think they played their best football against Kildare when they came out and played.

The game itself is likely to be an awful spectacle for at least 40mins. Donegal's entire system is built on staying within 3-4 points of the opposition.

Absolutely nothing to do with Dublin being good I suppose. I forgot that appearances at all-ireland finals were handed out at the weekly club lotto.

Zulu

Fancied Dublin to beat Tyrone and I think they'll beat Donegal too. This will be tighter but I think Dublin are AI champs in waiting and while Donegal have some great players they also have a good few 'standard' players, Dublin less so.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 06:56:36 PM

Absolutely nothing to do with Dublin being good I suppose. I forgot that appearances at all-ireland finals were handed out at the weekly club lotto.

There is always is and will be an asterix beside a Dublin win for some bitter people Indiana.

spuds

Quote from: heffo on August 07, 2011, 07:13:39 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 06:56:36 PM

There is always is and will be an asterix beside a Dublin win for some bitter people Indiana.
Very sensitive there chaps. I was only pointing out the truth where Dublin won the match fair and square but there has to be reference to the unusual illness that befell many of the Donegal players. Dublin won by 2 points.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Orangemac

While the media are salivating over the dream final of Kerry v Dublin I seem to remember the same garbage being spouted in 2002 and 2006.

Donegal will definitely provide sterner opposition than Tyrone but you cannot see Donegal holding Dublin to 10/11 points which is what their game plan is based around.

I remember hearing in 1992 that Dublin had a street map of where the trophy was being taken after the game but Gilroy has done a fantastic job there in a short space of time and don't think he will let them get carried away with themselves. He will remind them of the hurt of last year when they should have beat Cork.

Jim McGuinness will undoubtedly have a few plans for Connolly and the Brogans but regardless of the result he is in bonus territory. Unlike McCartan last year as a 1st year manager he has an Ulster title and there wouldn't be the same level of expectancy in Donegal as there was in Down.

Expect Dublin to win by 2/3 points and the Donegal boys to finally get to celebrate winning Ulster properly.

Hound

Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2011, 12:35:43 AM
While the media are salivating over the dream final of Kerry v Dublin I seem to remember the same garbage being spouted in 2002 and 2006.

Donegal will definitely provide sterner opposition than Tyrone but you cannot see Donegal holding Dublin to 10/11 points which is what their game plan is based around.

I remember hearing in 1992 that Dublin had a street map of where the trophy was being taken after the game but Gilroy has done a fantastic job there in a short space of time and don't think he will let them get carried away with themselves. He will remind them of the hurt of last year when they should have beat Cork.

Jim McGuinness will undoubtedly have a few plans for Connolly and the Brogans but regardless of the result he is in bonus territory. Unlike McCartan last year as a 1st year manager he has an Ulster title and there wouldn't be the same level of expectancy in Donegal as there was in Down.

Expect Dublin to win by 2/3 points and the Donegal boys to finally get to celebrate winning Ulster properly.

There's not even close to the talk of a dream final of Kerry v Dublin, as there has been about Tipp v KK in the hurling. While Kerry and Dublin are favourites, there's not many writing off Mayo and Donegal. In 2006 there was certainly plenty of talk of a Dublin-Kerry final. There was very little of that in 2002. Most thought Dublin v Armagh would be very close.

The proposed celebrations in 1992 was by politicians. Absolutely nothing to do with management team (although they did do plenty wrong in the build up). Was a damn good Donegal team too - shame so many people focus on Dublin losing the 92 All Ireland, rather than Donegal's excellent play in winning it.

AQMP

Since I correctly called a Dublin victory on Sat night (to my wife and kids at least) I think the Dubs will win this one by 4 or 5.

Hound

Hopefully Nolan's injury for the Dubs is minor.

Our formation from 8 to 15 is definitely the best one and won't change now. Dunno if Pat has been keeping it under wraps until now, or just stumbled upon it!

I'd imagine we'll be unchanged from 1-7 also (injury permitting), though I'd be slightly tempted to bring in Philly McMahon ahead of McCarthy.

Canalman

1992 was a day when 12/13 Donegal players played out of their skins............ never to be done again. No county would have beaten them that day.

Honestly think that the Dublin mgt will keep a very sharp on any complacency setting in. Read last week that Gilroy reckoned that he learnt alot from 1992 as a player and I think he also mentioned that it was a "life lesson"  also.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on August 08, 2011, 12:35:38 PM

Our formation from 8 to 15 is definitely the best one and won't change now. Dunno if Pat has been keeping it under wraps until now, or just stumbled upon it!

I'd imagine we'll be unchanged from 1-7 also (injury permitting), though I'd be slightly tempted to bring in Philly McMahon ahead of McCarthy.

:o Surely you mean Fitzsimons? McCarthy is playing great stuff in the back line imo.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

squire_in_navy_slacks

Id leave McCarthy be, he dug us out of a hole against wexford, and drove right at tyrone, a little bit lax the odd time on the ball, but thats his style, barring no injuries or niggles Id roll with the same 15  ;)

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 08, 2011, 12:35:38 PM

:o Surely you mean Fitzsimons? McCarthy is playing great stuff in the back line imo.

Fitz had a very good game the other evening on mugsy, put him on his butt a couple of times too

Canalman

Must be  a mistake......... am very impressed with McCarthy. Think Fitzsimoms is also underrated by alot of Dublin fans.

Hound

Not saying McCarthy has done anything wrong, he's doing reasonably well. Does make the odd mistake though, and I think McMahon might do better.

I like Fitzsimons, slow enough start to the year but going well enough at the moment.