Mayo v Galway 26.6.11

Started by Blowitupref, May 30, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on June 01, 2011, 02:45:14 PM
Read my comments before posting any criticism. What I have said is...
QuoteWe may aswell forget this year now and re-focus on oh12.
QuoteI for 1 after this year would drop all players over the age of 24 outright from the Mayo panel / senior set up.
The 3 and a half hours earlier quote was in relation to this year and to try and avoid another humiliation to the hands of Wicklow or Offaly or the like in the back door because if we stick to what we have that's what is going to happen.

Fair enough, ill stop picking on ya so!  ;)

Barney

QuoteWe may aswell forget this year now and re-focus on oh12.

That is what was said last year, and in 2007, and in 2008 and in 2009 before that.

When are we actually going to grab the bull by the horns?

There is little that will be achieved while the current County Board are in place. They are the GAA equivalent of Fianna Fail. They have destroyed the games within the county, have been there too long, and are not wanted by the general Mayo GAA community. However those with the power i.e. the clubs will not or cannot stand up to the Board. And even if they were to who would actually want to come in and take over a voluntary role managing an astronomical debt as well as what happens on the pitch.

The feared and sad reality is that James Horan will walk the plank if a Connacht title is not delivered this year. And then we will be back to another embarassing circus like last year in attempting to replace him in a job that nobody wants.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on June 01, 2011, 03:36:57 PM
The feared and sad reality is that James Horan will walk the plank if a Connacht title is not delivered this year.

Seriously Barney? Im not sure if expectation is that high.

I would hope that we can win a Connacht title, or at least have a decent run in the qualifiers and anything else being a bonus really.

ross4life

Has been confirmed Mayo v Roscommon minor game is on at 12...3rd time in a row we have to travel to McHale park while fans at the Sligo v Galway minor game only have to pay 10/15 euro we have to fork out 25/30 euro  >:(
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Blowitupref

Quote from: ross4life on June 01, 2011, 05:33:09 PM
Has been confirmed Mayo v Roscommon minor game is on at 12...3rd time in a row we have to travel to McHale park while fans at the Sligo v Galway minor game only have to pay 10/15 euro we have to fork out 25/30 euro  >:(

I suppose that's what happens when the main man over the Connacht Gaa board is a Mayo man.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 01, 2011, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: Barney on June 01, 2011, 03:36:57 PM
The feared and sad reality is that James Horan will walk the plank if a Connacht title is not delivered this year.

Seriously Barney? Im not sure if expectation is that high.

I would hope that we can win a Connacht title, or at least have a decent run in the qualifiers and anything else being a bonus really.

He could be talking about what the Co board boys want.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Fact is that the ~ 30 players we have on the panel are arguably the best 30 footballers in the county give or take a couple so if we start from scratch, we're going to have to dip into the transfer market in a big way......... ::)

Is it possible that the current players simply don't have the desire to win an all ireland? Are they happy just being the best 30 players in Mayo safe in the knowledge that making the squad / team means that they've "made it"? In '06, JO'C said something along the lines that the previous year meant more hurt to Kerry than 55 did to Mayo and maybe it's the same now following the last 3 championship games??

Regardless of how the results go in the Galway game and whoever we play afterwards, I hope we see a hell of a lot more heart and pride in the jersey the next day.

As already mentioned, the free-taking situation is unreal - no excuses from JH (and all predecessors since MS retired) for not having it sorted. It's early days for him yet though.....

Roll on the Galway game

seafoid

It's hard to imagine Mayo being more of a mess than Galway this year considering the league.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 09:01:34 PM
It's hard to imagine Mayo being more of a mess than Galway this year considering the league.

Ye must be screaming hot favourites by now. Is there any point in us turning up?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 01, 2011, 10:59:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2011, 09:01:34 PM

Ye must be screaming hot favourites by now. Is there any point in us turning up?
I dunno. Maybe this is purgatory.

moysider

What s the point either team showing up? Looks like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

But they are going to show up on the 26th and I hope to be there as I have been since the 70s since I first attended . Mind you I wont be able to get the kids to go which is a shame. Unfortunately our championship is finding it hard to compete with X Box etc. All the ould negative shite - not only the annual Mayo weeping, but the whimpering of likes of Spillane on the telly every Sunday is hardly compulsive viewing for kids.
Maybe off the point here but game is being presented way too negative in general. Young lads that play for their club and stuff don t watch it on tv or go to games much. Many club players never attend county matches. Forget about negative tactics on the pitch, it is the whole catholic-sense of gloom and foreboding that surrounds the game in a lot of the media every Summer that is a turn off.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2011, 11:47:52 PM
What s the point either team showing up? Looks like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

But they are going to show up on the 26th and I hope to be there as I have been since the 70s since I first attended . Mind you I wont be able to get the kids to go which is a shame. Unfortunately our championship is finding it hard to compete with X Box etc. All the ould negative shite - not only the annual Mayo weeping, but the whimpering of likes of Spillane on the telly every Sunday is hardly compulsive viewing for kids.
Maybe off the point here but game is being presented way too negative in general. Young lads that play for their club and stuff don t watch it on tv or go to games much. Many club players never attend county matches. Forget about negative tactics on the pitch, it is the whole catholic-sense of gloom and foreboding that surrounds the game in a lot of the media every Summer that is a turn off.

Good man Moysider. I'm sick to my shite of reading lists of fifteen counties that could win Connacht this year if only they were in it when the world and his uncle knows half those jokers couldn't beat dust out of a carpet.

Cork or Kerry could win Connacht. I don't fancy anyone else to cross the Shannon and do it, and why in damnation should I? Why do I read about Kildare every year? Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare? Laois? Monaghan? Are you all gone mad? As another Mayoman asked his team in another code once, where's your f**king pride? No wonder teams lose if this is people's idea of support. I dread to think of what some people would write if they were against teams, instead of supporting them. Jesus Christ.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 02, 2011, 12:01:20 AM
Why do I read about Kildare every year?

Because you buy a newspaper on an annual basis?

Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare?

I do......
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on June 01, 2011, 11:47:52 PM

Good man Moysider. I'm sick to my shite of reading lists of fifteen counties that could win Connacht this year if only they were in it when the world and his uncle knows half those jokers couldn't beat dust out of a carpet.

Cork or Kerry could win Connacht. I don't fancy anyone else to cross the Shannon and do it, and why in damnation should I? Why do I read about Kildare every year? Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare? Laois? Monaghan? Are you all gone mad? As another Mayoman asked his team in another code once, where's your f**king pride? No wonder teams lose if this is people's idea of support. I dread to think of what some people would write if they were against teams, instead of supporting them. Jesus Christ.

Everytime I drive over that bridge in Athlone I think they should have a sign that says "Failte go Connacht" and for people going in the opposite direction "you are now entering hell" . But there is no imagination in Roscommon County Council.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 02, 2011, 12:58:44 AM
Why do I read about Kildare every year?

Because you buy a newspaper on an annual basis?

Who wakes up screaming thinking of Kildare?

I do......

Fair play to you Hollow, you're a scholar and a gentleman. I should point out that I've been to games in Laois, Kildare and Monaghan and I found the welcome warm and the football tremendous. It just gets on my wick when people in West lie down and are then totally mystified when they get walked on.