Will Breheny ever give it a rest ?

Started by Rossfan, April 13, 2011, 10:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

90% of delegates voted it down at Congress last year.
No motions to bring it in this year.
Totally illogical.
Add extra needless rounds to the Championship.

As I said --- a non runner.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

under the bar

90%??   if true would be interested to know the actual wording of the  proposed amendment as a number of ulster & leinster counties were in favour initially

Aaron Boone

Fair play Mickey again.
U win your pronvincial for the right to get into the AI quarters, you then meet a strong team who you beat a few weeks back - that team who wins is rewarded for losing early on.

Noone I know sees the provincial & AI championships as 2 separate entities.

Main Street

The glaring issue is the short 6 day turnaround for 2 of the beaten provincial finalists.

under the bar

Can't see how they can have any complaints about having to play again in 6 days.  They are lucky to be getting a second bite at all. The team they are meeting in the back door may well have played 4 weeks running.

Main Street

That's a powerful argument utb,
Ah sure things could be worse, we are lucky to have a championship system at all? ::)

"Aren't I lucky"  should be a slogan printed on doormats.

Rossfan

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 15, 2011, 11:28:36 PM
Noone I know sees the provincial & AI championships as 2 separate entities.

Most people I know do ... so there !!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

catchandkick

Quote from: galwayman on April 13, 2011, 11:09:41 PM
Which daily paper tends to have the best sports coverage?
I find the Indo to actually be decent enough on a Saturday but that's about it.
Monday to Friday which would be best for sport?

Depends what you're after. Times has the best writers I believe - Duggan and Ian O'Riordan are always interesting. The Monday backpage column will be missed. Irish Examiner is probably the most extensive, writing not as good, think they try to be a local paper and a national paper and cover everything from Cork underage club camogie up to All-Ireland senior but the more sport the better!

PAULD123

Harte will unashamedly say whatever is best for his team regardless of what is best for the sport (though isn't he entitled to look after his own interests anyway?) Sometimes Tyrone have benefited sometimes not.

But this idea that provincial winners are suddenly at a disadvantage is a myth created by the media and a few managers who didn't like losing last year. Ever since the qualifiers have begun there has only been 3 provincial champions through on two occasions and never all 4. Generally it is normally dictated by who has to face the Munster losers and the strong losing team in Ulster. It's not about "Head of steam" it has been about Cork/Kerry, or Tyrone facing a provincial champion and putting them out.

Last year was a bit of a fluke that all provincial winners went out but for the five previous years (2005 to 2009) the teams that knocked out provincial champions were: Kerry x3, Cork x2, Tyrone x2, Meath x2 & Wexford x1. So in 20 matches only three were won by teams that haven't regularly contested All-Ireland finals in recent years.

highorlow

His article on Saturday about the Cork team was an all time low. I'd say the Cork players had it pinned to the dressing room wall on Sunday.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on April 27, 2011, 10:59:34 AM
His article on Saturday about the Cork team was an all time low. I'd say the Cork players had it pinned to the dressing room wall on Sunday.

Any link? I didn't buy the indo on Saturday?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross matt

Quote from: highorlow on April 27, 2011, 10:59:34 AM

Is that the one about they being unloved/unnoticed in their own county ?