Wicklow v Longford, Leinster SFC

Started by On the 14, May 17, 2009, 10:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Ryan is on a learning curve and there still are some old hams in the team that will never change their spots.

I will ignore the curate's egg of a league (cept in this case it wasn't even good in spots) if we put in decent performances against Wickla and then (hopefully) Wastemeath.

aroundincircles

Martin sludden reffing it god help yous.

Qwerty28

Whers he from?

Terrible lack of optimism here, should be hoping for the best at least! Hopefully beat Wickla by 3-4 points, have the forwards but midfield still the weakest area of the team. Speaking of which, any early team news?

aroundincircles

Quote from: Qwerty28 on May 19, 2009, 10:44:34 PM
Whers he from?

Terrible lack of optimism here, should be hoping for the best at least! Hopefully beat Wickla by 3-4 points, have the forwards but midfield still the weakest area of the team. Speaking of which, any early team news?

Tyrone ref he will be seen anyway

stevecw

Having seen Wicklow fall apart in a vital game in Carlow near end of league, i wouldn't be that sure of them winning at all.

That day they played a Carlow side who were on a horrible run, while Wicklow if they won that would set up a winner takes all promotion clash at home v Sligo.
Even despite getting 3 early goals, Wicklow still managed to lose by 6 or 7 points i think it was in the end!

So Longford despite their own bad league should take heart from that. Ok Wicklow will be stronger now, as they have their import from Carlow Thomas Walsh back in time for championship (god how we could have done with him v Louth on Sunday!!) ::)
But hopefully Longford having played at a slightly higher level during the spring can have enough to see off Micko, Walsh and the rest.

And maybe set Thomas Walsh up for a trip to Carlow in the 1st round of qualifiers!! Its all he deserves!

Shamrock Shore

No team news yet Qwerty28.

Ryan hoping to find more Shroid and Forgney players  :-\

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 20, 2009, 12:21:30 AM
No team news yet Qwerty28.

From the Flakesite;

QuoteLongford manager Glenn Ryan has named a panel of 29 on Tuesday night (May 19th) for Sunday's Leinster Championship opener with Wicklow in Portlaoise at 2pm. Team captain Paul Barden will line out at number 13 while Padraig Berry, Francis McGee, David Barden, Kevin Mulligan and Brian Kavanagh will make up the rest of the forwards.

Damien Sheridan will start in goals while Declan Reilly, Barry Gilleran, Peter Foy, Diarmuid Masterson, Enda Williams and Shane Mulligan will make up the defence while Ger Dennigan and Kevin Smyth will start at centrefield.

Longford starting 15 v Wicklow: Damien Sheridan (Dromard), Declan Reilly (Colmcille), Barry Gilleran (Longford Slashers), Peter Foy (Cashel), Diarmuid Masterson (Dromard), Enda Williams (Clonguihs), Shane Mulligan (St. Columba's), Ger Dennigan (Cashel), Kevin Smyth (Abbeylara), Padraig Berry (Abbeylara), Francis McGee (Dromard), David Barden (Clonguish), Paul Barden (Clonguish, Captain), Kevin Mulligan (St. Columba's), Brian Kavanagh (kilmacud Crokes).

Subs: Stephen Watters (Clonguish), Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Noel Farrell (Colmcille), Shane Cox (Legan Sarsfields), Aidan Rowan (Cashel), Colm Flynn (Ballymahon), Mark Reynolds (Shroid Slashers), Paddy Dowd (Clonguish), Shane Doyle (Kenagh), Willie Skelly (St. Brigid's), Padraig Shanley (Rathcline), Cian Mimnagh (Dromard), James McEntire CAbbeylara), Kevin Diffley (Ballymahon).
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Wicklow team named:

QuoteWicklow (SFC v Longford): M Travers; C Hyland, A Nolan, A Byrne; P McWalter, D O hAnnaidh, P Dalton; T Walsh, J Stafford; T Hannon, L Glynn, JP Dalton; D Odlum, S Furlong, P Earls.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

I was told last night that it was a dead cert that irrespective of lineout (and numbers) named that Mulligan and Flynn would start in the middle.  How reliable that is, I can't say for sure.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 20, 2009, 03:13:35 PM
I was told last night that it was a dead cert that irrespective of lineout (and numbers) named that Mulligan and Flynn would start in the middle.  How reliable that is, I can't say for sure.

I don't think there was a team named during the League campaign until the Friday night and even then there were usually changes on the day, so nothing would surprise me. Except, perhaps, the result at full-time.

Qwerty28

Just heard team on Newstalk there....no championship debutants which is a rareity these days. Should be strong enough to dispose of Wicklow, definately have the firepower.

They are just discussing Thomas Walsh there on radio, Liam Hayes (I thnk) being interviewed about him

Billys Boots

Quoteno championship debutants

Has Dennigan played championship before? - I can't remember him distinguishing himself anyway.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

The 'good' news for all fans who cannot go for one reason or another is that the game will be shown on the Interweb.

Fans of Willie Hegarty can still tune into Shiteside - I would doubt you could so both successfully as I am sure the Interweb stream will be almost a minute behind the real action.

panc56

Back the draw 8's with BF. This one is too close to call - the winners will be in a Leinster semi final against the Dubs at a packed Croker in June. Now our players surely would love a game like that to test themselves. I hope theres some ambition within the squad to want to achieve. Paul Barden get stuck in and put the ball over the bar when you get the chance. Damien Sheridan , consentrate on playing and roar at your backs. Don't stop shouting at them. Padraig Berry , go straight for goals yourself , you see apce you hit it hard in a straight line . Dec Reilly annoy your opponent get a mean streak and midfield do not have us watching Wicklow catch ball uncontested. At least spoil the game, its championship play hard , hit hard and haved no energy left when you come off the pitch. Lift your performance  110% and you will win.

Best of Luck Longford. :D

Shamrock Shore

Quotethe winners will be in a Leinster semi final against the Dubs

:D  :D  :D  :D

Panc56 - you, sir, are a scholar and I tip my hat in your direction.

However, keep head down as I am sure some Spud missiles will rain in on you from our uppity neighbours that still hold delusions of grandeur!