o'leary's nephew picks scotland over ireland

Started by the colonel, June 08, 2007, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Kilmarnock boss Jim Jefferies has tipped young defender Ryan O'Leary to go on and win a hatful of Scotland caps.

Jefferies watched with delight as Steven Naismith made his international debut on Wednesday, and believes O'Leary will soon follow.

The 19-year-old, nephew of former Arsenal defender David O'Leary, has opted for Scotland over Republic of Ireland.

Jefferies does not think it will take long for O'Leary to break into Alex McLeish's squad and expects the stopper to shine on the international stage.

"He has all the credentials to make a name for himself in the game," the Killie chief told the Daily Record.

"He'll certainly go on to play at a high level and I believe he will play for the full Scotland team in the years ahead."

Jefferies feels his players can take heart from the fact Naismith made his Scotland debut as a Kilmarnock player.

anyone know why this is? never even heard of him

He added: "Seeing Naisy make his Scotland debut will be a great boost for Ryan and all our boys because it shows it can be done.

"The big plus for me was that Steven didn't have to put a Rangers strip on to get that first international cap!"

the difference between success and failure is energy

Syd

I wonder if he has a couple of crap performances will he say in his defence that he is "only a young lad and im still learning my trade" ?  ;)

thebandit

I think he is Pierce O'Leary's son - he wa capped by Ireland in the 70's

rosnarun

hes probably net eligible to play for ireland anyway as the o'learys were both english. so he could at best play under the 'Oirish' granny rule, like the Icecream man
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: rosnarun on June 08, 2007, 12:30:09 PM
as the o'learys were both english
really ?
I thought David had a brutal Dublin accent...
thought he was from walkinstown? in Dublin

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: rosnarun on June 08, 2007, 12:30:09 PM
hes probably net eligible to play for ireland anyway as the o'learys were both english. so he could at best play under the 'Oirish' granny rule, like the Icecream man

He's eligible for Ireland alright. Probably moreso than many who have pulled on the green shirt down through the years.

Apparently grew up in Scotland though so feels more of an allegiance towards them which is fair enough if you ask me.

Not sure we'll be missing out on much to be honest but you never know.

T Fearon

He must indeed be Peirce O'Leary's (ex Celtic, son). I thought he went off to Canada, but he .
must have stayed in Scotland.

As a matter of fact, Pierce and David O'Leary were twin (pardon the pun) centre backs in Ireland's 1-0 defeat to the North of Ireland during Ireland's first ever Windsor Park visit in 1979, a game I was at. I think Mark Lawrenson was injured at the time, as he and Noel Synott (Shamrock Rovers) were the central defensive pairing during the first game at Lansdowne, the previous autumn

There is a famous picture of both O'Learys standing staring at each other, Laural and Hardylike (ie two twats), while Gerry Armstrong wheels away in celebration after scoring the goal.

If this lad is even twice as good as his father, he will most likely never be heard of again ;D

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Yeah David and Pierce O' Leary are Irish born and bred. Ryan is Pierce's son and was born in Scotland but could of course have qualified for Ireland. He was actually picked by ROI for under 18 but changed his mind and opted to play for Scotland instead (a few months ago to be honest, this is old news). He is apparently a decent enough prospect although it seems a bit early to be talking about him winning full international caps. Made his debut for Aberdeen at 16 or 17 but got homesick and asked to be released so he could sign for a club nearer his family home. Has been getting good reviews when he's played for Killie.

T Fearon

David O'Leary was actually born in London, though the family moved back to Dublin when he was a toddler

rosnarun

From what im aware neither P oleary's Mother or wife are Ireish which would make the Sprog 1/8th irish and born in scotland we couls have the pick of half the US austrailia and the UK by that criteria better qualified players over the year include john barnes Gazza Steve mcmahon Kevin Keegan wayne rooney and the gerrard brothers
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the colonel

didnt realise but ryan was born in glasgow, david was born in london but moved to dublin at age 3
the difference between success and failure is energy

thebandit

Is that why David wears the f**king poppy?  >:(