GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 04:38:53 PM
It's absolutely insane.

It was going to take some effort to top last week's decision to quarantine people based on county lines, but they're managing it somehow.

We have an increasingly bored and frustrated population. Preventing those people from standing well spaced apart in open environments is mentalshitbaskets.

Anyone know if this applies to juvenile football matches too? Or do we have to force parents to sit outside grounds in their cars when waiting for their children?

How spaced apart people are during game time only gets you so far.

Also how far apart people could be and how far apart they actually are,  are 2 completely different things.

Anyway we will no doubt be inundated with posters demanding the same rules to applied in the north?? 32 county organisation, can't have 2 different rules, viruses don't recognise borders blah de blah de blah

thewobbler

Quote from: Sportacus on August 18, 2020, 05:12:11 PM
Covid is on the rise again looking for hosts.  There's any amount of pictures of spectators standing side by side at games and not wearing masks.  Can't see why the Government are getting the blame?  This is a lever they could pull to try and slow up a rising spread.  A surge into the Autumn is a very real possibility so the sacrifices have to continue unfortunately.  If it's inconsistent, then the other problems should be tackled as well.  As a GAA Board most of the comments will probably lash out at this through frustration, but sadly we're being asked to suck it up for the bigger picture.

They're standing outside in the open air.

They've a greater chance of getting hit by a falling meteorite than catching corona in these circumstances.

It's unbelievable nanny state horseshit.

Sportacus

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 05:22:29 PM
Covid is on the rise again looking for hosts.  There's any amount of pictures of spectators standing side by side at games and not wearing masks.  Can't see why the Government are getting the blame?  This is a lever they could pull to try and slow up a rising spread.  A surge into the Autumn is a very real possibility so the sacrifices have to continue unfortunately.  If it's inconsistent, then the other problems should be tackled as well.  As a GAA Board most of the comments will probably lash out at this through frustration, but sadly we're being asked to suck it up for the bigger picture.

They're standing outside in the open air.

They've a greater chance of getting hit by a falling meteorite than catching corona in these circumstances.

It's unbelievable nanny state horseshit.
Really, "more chance of being hit by a meteorite".  Do you want to stand over that?

Rossfan

I suspect Wobbler may have been hit on the head by a meteorite when he was a baby ::)
The way numbers are rising in the 6 I expect some tightening up on numbers to come from the Executive too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

A know a number of positive tests from the last 48hrs wasn't included in last two days reported cases. I'd bet big numbers announced this evening coinciding with these new measures.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on August 18, 2020, 05:32:04 PM
I suspect Wobbler may have been hit on the head by a meteorite when he was a baby ::)
The way numbers are rising in the 6 I expect some tightening up on numbers to come from the Executive too.

And i suspect that if tens of thousands of people from everywhere can gather on English beaches and protest together in English cities for hours on end, without any tangible increase, then 200 Irish locals gathering outside for 2 hours isn't even going to register a blip.

BennyCake

Totally agreed. Lots of people clearly don't give a flying f**k. Well, suck it up. You've only yourselves to blame! And thanks to dickheads not giving a f**k, we all suffer.

maccer

Not blaming anybody but just wonder did the crowd at the Kilcoo Mayobridge game last Fri all seemingly sitting on top of each other in the middle of the stand set off alarm bells in some quarters. Thought watching it at the time that it was going to cause some reaction

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Angelo on August 18, 2020, 04:37:51 PM
Surely makes the 2020 AI highly unlikely now?

It's meant to get underway in 2 months roughly.

It bites the dust and counties will do well to finish their club championships with this nonsense.  Martin and Donnelly are clueless

BennyCake

Quote from: maccer on August 18, 2020, 05:48:53 PM
Not blaming anybody but just wonder did the crowd at the Kilcoo Mayobridge game last Fri all seemingly sitting on top of each other in the middle of the stand set off alarm bells in some quarters. Thought watching it at the time that it was going to cause some reaction

I couldn't believe it when I seen that. I had to rewind and pause to realise what I was witnessing.

Cunny Funt

It's on the rise again mainly because of indoor cluster settings. If a number of cases tracked back to GAA outdoor games I could understand this decision

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on August 18, 2020, 05:52:38 PM

I couldn't believe it when I seen that. I had to rewind and pause to realise what I was witnessing.

You've a bit of a conundrum here.

On one hand you've got members of a close knit community sitting together for an hour and a half, and it disturbs you.

On the other hand you've got men from unrelated communities spending an hour hugging each other. As I'm sure you know, that's the players.

In both cases it's casual contact. If you're exposing one as a problem while advocating the other then you need to have a look at yourself.

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2020, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 18, 2020, 05:52:38 PM

You've a bit of a conundrum here.

On one hand you've got members of a close knit community sitting together for an hour and a half, and it disturbs you.

On the other hand you've got men from unrelated communities spending an hour hugging each other. As I'm sure you know, that's the players.

In both cases it's casual contact. If you're exposing one as a problem while advocating the other then you need to have a look at yourself.

I'm not advocating the other. Of course there's a risk with matches, but I assume there is adequate testing/temperature taken with players.

As for close knit community, I live in one too. But I'm not going to sit on my next door neighbours knee. Just because they are a small community, doesn't mean none of them have the virus.

thewobbler

Players aren't temperature tested unless they're doing it themselves.

With the limited numbers at recent matches, and only two avenues to purchase tickets, it's as easy to track and trace spectators as players.

——

You don't have to sit on your neighbour's knee. But when there is a group of neighbours who are socially integrated, then I honestly believe you should be happier that if they must meet and talk, then they're doing so in a closed-numbers open air environment (than just about anywhere else).

Take away match attendance and you don't take away that social integration.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 18, 2020, 05:55:44 PM

It's on the rise again mainly because of indoor cluster settings. If a number of cases tracked back to GAA outdoor games I could understand this decision

To me this is not an informed decision at all. It's a panic decision. The players are in closer contact than the spectators are likely to be.

I get we need to get rid of this virus - well manage it as getting rid of it looks nigh on impossible- but this is not the way to do it at all.