Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Have to say I quite like Brolly as well. He is quite entertaining and a newspaper publisher's or TV producer's dream.

Own up all you lads who say you don't like him...I bet you couldn't wait to hear what he had to say on TSG the week after his rant about Cavanagh. I dont think I would bother my arse buying the Gaelic Life if him or Cassidy weren't writing in it....(ok I might get it just to see what Poacher the Coacher has to say ;) ;))

He is like Eamonn Dunphy or Stephen Jones...people read or watch what they say to see who they are going to offend next.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

So Tipps long ball into an isolated forward line that garnered so many goals in 2010 wasn't a tactic? Cork's support running under Donal O'Grady wasn't a tactic? Clares short passing game last year wasn't a tactic?

Grand so.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mario on March 28, 2014, 02:54:21 PM
I like Joe, he is by far the most entertaining pundit, like Dunphy or Giles I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

Regarding the Hurling v Football, hurling fans are so precious about their sport, any praise of football and they take it as a dig at hurling.

Personally i'm not a big fan of hurling, I've no problem with people supporting it but it doesn't entertain me, scores are too easy to come by and while many people think this is great it puts me off it. To use an analogy, snooker wouldn't be any better if the pockets were the size of a saucepans and no one ever missed, it takes the tactics out of the sport.

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed a hurling game but despite the skill levels involved in some aspects I see it as a very primitive game, a defender gets it and hits it as far as he can into the forward line, the forward scraps with the defender to take it, if he wins its over the bar if he loses it comes back down the other way. 50 50 balls are acceptable to play in hurling they aren't in football.

There are no tactics in hurling which is one of the main reasons i'm not a fan.

Thats it there - he is entertaining - like Apres Match was. His analysis is not to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, too many take his points seriously.
That was never a square ball!!

J OGorman

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 28, 2014, 03:16:23 PM
Have to say I quite like Brolly as well. He is quite entertaining and a newspaper publisher's or TV producer's dream.

Own up all you lads who say you don't like him...I bet you couldn't wait to hear what he had to say on TSG the week after his rant about Cavanagh. I dont think I would bother my arse buying the Gaelic Life if him or Cassidy weren't writing in it....(ok I might get it just to see what Poacher the Coacher has to say ;) ;))

He is like Eamonn Dunphy or Stephen Jones...people read or watch what they say to see who they are going to offend next.

Brolly, Spillane, Dunphy, Hook et al are on one level, Stephen Jones is at a whole other level. A gobeen so full of dung it near blows the mind

5 Sams

Quote from: J OGorman on March 28, 2014, 04:16:40 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on March 28, 2014, 03:16:23 PM

Brolly, Spillane, Dunphy, Hook et al are on one level, Stephen Jones is at a whole other level. A gobeen so full of dung it near blows the mind

Agreed but people still buy the paper to see what shite he's gonna come out with next.
The Aristocrat Years

cicfada

Martin fogarty would have been part of a Kilkenny set up which has 1 tactic ( if you could call it that ) and that's lump the ball up to the forward line where the forwards have to win their own ball and then score or pass to a player in a better position . It's getting outdated as speed and space is coming vogue more as the new way that hurling is played. As regards brolly, he might be right about hurling, I have been at two double headers recently where the football was way more entertaining than the hurling. Cork v Derry and Offaly and the club finals. With the black card there is more emphasis on forwards scoring now and that's refreshing . It does not follow however that a black card would improve hurling......too many whistles ruin it as a sport and indeed in both hurling matches I have mentioned , both refs Barry Kelly and Alan Kelly both blew too often.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2014, 10:41:05 AM
I agree Johnny. Football has had some problems with teams struggling to adjust to *legal* defensive tactics, but that's a cyclical sort of thing, and I think even last year the we could see the genesis of the next level of attacking play. Even without the black card.

However, I think hurling and football pundits have different mindsets regarding the games they cover, and the games they view. As a coach, I want my team to play to the best of their ability, to display good decision making, and to exhibit good discipline and good technical skill levels.

As a fan, I want to see an exciting game, with a close finish, competitive and intense. Whether the technical abilities of the teams are at a high level or not is moot for me. An exciting Junior club game can give me as much enjoyment as an observer as an exciting inter county game at which I am a neutral.

I think the football pundits, taking their lead from the Eamon Dunphy/Johnny Giles school of analysis, view the games as coaches, and as coaches who have never had a bad team in their lives at that. Their criticism of the skills, the competence or the discipline of the teams is scathing because they feel that is what constitutes analysis.

The hurling pundits can get great joy out of a game between two poor teams, where the finish is close or the intensity and aggression is high. I've seen them laud games as great where lads take two or three touches to get the ball up in their hand, poor striking, bad wides. But it;s a great game because it's close, it's exciting and it's fast paced. They seem to believe that their analysis is primarily getting the message over that they love the game, and try to give reasons for other people to understand and love the game as well.

I can see both approaches being valid in a sense, but the hurling approach is certainly more upbeat and feel good, while the football is too much naval gazing and self loathing at times.

As I've said before, two great games that we should be proud of. That does not mean we can't improve or tweak certain aspects, but to listen to the football commentators you'd swear the football was caveman stuff that nobody should bother their hole even looking at.

I agree with this and much prefer the passion of the hurling pundits over the scythes of the football ones.
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mario on March 28, 2014, 03:09:32 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2014, 03:05:01 PM
If you say there are no tactics in hurling, then I'm afraid not only are you not a fan, but you just don't understand the game.
I understand it, I used to play it

Martin Fogarty thinks there are no tactics because it's too fast, i think it's because it's too easy to get scores
TACTICS don't play a big part in hurling because the game is so fast and hard it is almost impossible to play to a rigid or set structure for 70 minutes.

Kilkenny selector Martin Fogarty has been part of the backroom team during five successful All-Ireland campaigns, and if the experience taught him one thing it was that hurling is a unique game that produces the best results when played flat out.

"Hurling will always be a simple game because you can't slow it down, you have to play it at full pace all the time," suggested the Erin's Own (Castlecomer) clubman when it was suggested Galway had a fair tactical plan that paid off in the Leinster final.

"They don't pack their defence as many suggested they did," he continued. "I was at a couple of their matches this year and they don't pack their defence any more than anyone else. When they brought an extra man back on Pa Cronin in the semi-final people started taking about football tactics, blanket defence and all that.

"They don't do that. They play the game more or less the same as any other team, which is actually not planned. You can't really plan hurling the ball moves around so fast.

"People often make too much of small things in hurling. If there is a 1-on-1 situation in front of goal and a team scores suddenly they have a tactic of pulling out the forwards. You could get a goal with 10 in the square as well.

"I don't buy into that too much. Games pan out in different ways. People are always talking, always writing and reading things into situations that don't exist."

Horseraddish. Fogarty comes from the Cody and Keher stable, whatever you say Paddy, say nothing.

I'll give you just one obvious tactic in the game referenced above. Galway looked to play the game on their terms. Instead of challenging Kilkenny for primary possession in the air like Tipp had done (to some success) in the previous years, they looked to bat the ball to the ground and forage for possession there. Kilkenny weren't prepared for this and Galway made hay.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Kilkenny, Cody and Fogarty have been tweaking their 'tactics' for years now to suit their personnel and what their opponents bring to the table.

In 05 when a speedy Galway had a goalfest on them, the next year the Kilkenny team lined out with a deep lying Brian Hogan stopping anything and everything getting near their back line, this was supplimented with more mobile midfielders covering the space normally held by the centre back. Yes they weren't overly fussed on the quality of ball into their forwards as they still had 5 or 6 good catchers with the likes of Eddie Brennan scorching passed looking for the offload or scraps.
As said already, Galway bust their balls to stop the Kilkenny catching game in 2012, it worked in the Leinster final as they worked to win the breaking ball and move it in fast into quick forwards who were pulling the Kilkenny backs all over the place. Come the final and subsequent replay, the Kilkenny backs held their positions better, got their match ups right and introduced a big brute of a youngster in Walter Walsh to hug the sidelines and win the aerial battle in one and ones where Galway failed to get the additional cover to assist Coen.

Cody will have watched the way Clare and Cork set about their games last year and he's already introduced a good few speedsters into the defence over the NHL and brought out Colin Fennelly do hover up anything in and around the midfield area. Kilkenny have shown better than most that evolution is gradual and they're still a force to be reckoned with even if Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan and even Shefflin aren't the main men any more.

rosnarun

any one have access to his latest raving
from http://gaeliclife.com/ via balls.ie

Joe Brolly has responded to Aidan O'Shea's critique of the RTE football panel in his Gaelic Life column in a typically cutting and sardonic fashion.

Brolly's pithy summation of O'Shea's critique was that the football panel were the type of people "who were prepared to say a game was rubbish if it was rubbish" as opposed to the more jolly and "big breasted" analysis the viewer will soon be able to avail of on Sky.

However, he did allow O'Shea some leeway because of these mitigating circumstances.

In fairness to Big Aidan, he is still in the early stages of recovery after Fergal Doherty poleaxed him on Sunday, leaving him curled up on the ground whimpering for his mammy.

He allowed those who echoed O'Shea's critique no excuse, saying the tendency to "spoof" rather than "tell the truth" had done enormous damage to Irish society. The happy, clappy Sky Sports team, he predicted, will "unveil the sports analysis equivalent of the Rose of Tralee" before too long
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on April 18, 2014, 01:53:32 PM

Joe Brolly has responded to Aidan O'Shea's critique of the RTE football panel in his Gaelic Life column in a typically cutting and sardonic fashion.

Brolly's pithy summation of O'Shea's critique was that the football panel were the type of people "who were prepared to say a game was rubbish if it was rubbish" as opposed to the more jolly and "big breasted" analysis the viewer will soon be able to avail of on Sky.

However, he did allow O'Shea some leeway because of these mitigating circumstances.

In fairness to Big Aidan, he is still in the early stages of recovery after Fergal Doherty poleaxed him on Sunday, leaving him curled up on the ground whimpering for his mammy.

He allowed those who echoed O'Shea's critique no excuse, saying the tendency to "spoof" rather than "tell the truth" had done enormous damage to Irish society. The happy, clappy Sky Sports team, he predicted, will "unveil the sports analysis equivalent of the Rose of Tralee" before too long

Classy stuff from Brolly. He's some analyst....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Tubberman on April 18, 2014, 01:57:32 PM

In fairness O'Shea shouldn't have been down holding his face. That Gibbons lad too. Must have been a 'sniper at work' in the stand!

muppet

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 18, 2014, 02:16:28 PM

In fairness O'Shea shouldn't have been down holding his face. That Gibbons lad too. Must have been a 'sniper at work' in the stand!

Brolly just categorically proved O'Shea correct with his childishness.

He calls Sky's coverage 'Big Breasted'. This is the man who described two amateur footballers as 'Swedish Maids'. I am beginning to think that all of this language from Joe is Freudian and he is trying to tell us something.

MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 18, 2014, 02:16:28 PM

That O'Doherty lad was way too hyped up for the length he was on the field. Mad 'tackle' to make when you're on a yellow and O'Shea is not someone that goes down easily.

Zulu

How do you make out he was too hyped? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the intent of the tackle. Watching it unfold I was expecting to big me to shoulder each other but O'Shea went to kick with his outside leg at the last second. There was nothing Doherty could do at that stage. In fairness O'Shea was hit and you could see why he mightn't have hopped up straight away but it wasn't intentionally dangerous or malicious and I wouldn't have given a yellow.