Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Angelo on November 23, 2020, 12:54:12 PM
Is it not bad form that panel members outside the matchday 26 were not allowed attend the matches yesterday but you had some partners of players and management there?

I noticed the Tipp captain gave a mention to the 12 players who had been training with them all along but could not attend the match yesterday?
It is completely idiotic but would you expect anything else?

Keyser soze

Tbh the overwhelming feeling I have is of sorrow for poor Larry Reilly.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2020, 10:42:57 AM
Quote from: Taylor on November 23, 2020, 10:39:21 AM
Will Galligan be fit for the semi final?

Ah jaysus, he will don't worry about that man. Its only bruising and cuts he has.

Anyone know will the game be on the BBC player, don't see it there this morning but all the other games were?

Wasn't up til Tuesday last week Itchy.

I've rewatched it on RTE Player. Will of course be rewatching it on BBC too.  :)

seafoid

It wouldn't be a Cavan team without a Brady or a Reilly,
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2020, 11:09:34 AM
Last night the GAA fixtures page had all 4 semis in Croke Park. Don't understand this at all.

82,000 stadium totally empty, echos around the place. A smaller stadium looks and sounds far better.

If you look at the map, Thurles ideal for both hurling semis. Salthill for Mayo-Tipp and Navan for Cav-Dub.

I'm not sure what the situation is with team travel, whether they use their cars or what, and use of changing rooms etc, but taking all teams to Dublin is madness.

Mayo and Dublin will definitely be pushing for Croke Park anyway. I wouldn't give Tipp much of a chance at Croke Park but I'd give them a decent outside chance in a provincial ground.

Salthill is probably not the best ground to play in at this time of year given the way it always seems to have a gale force wind blowing. Limerick or Ennis perhaps better options?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Is it not bad form that panel members outside the matchday 26 were not allowed attend the matches yesterday but you had some partners of players and management there?

I noticed the Tipp captain gave a mention to the 12 players who had been training with them all along but could not attend the match yesterday?

Its totally pathetic and that "rule" came from GAA HQ, from nowhere else. To think you have the stand full of hacks and broadcasters yet you cannot have an extra 10 or 12 lads that bust their arses training all year and of course they arent for turning when the stupidity of it is put to them during the week (as it was by the Cavan chairman for one).

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2020, 02:57:56 PM

Its totally pathetic and that "rule" came from GAA HQ, from nowhere else. To think you have the stand full of hacks and broadcasters yet you cannot have an extra 10 or 12 lads that bust their arses training all year and of course they arent for turning when the stupidity of it is put to them during the week (as it was by the Cavan chairman for one).

You'd really feel for lads who have given it all up, who have actually worked as hard and contributed as much as anyone else has to that success and they were not allowed be there today. There's probably some lads who took some part in that Ulster campaign for Cavan that were unable to attend yesterday. Outside of the matchday 26 the very first people that should be accommodated to attend are the additional squad members.

I noticed there seemed to be partners of some players there yesterday which is fine in a way but to have the likes of those people there ahead of actual squad members is totally disgraceful. Surely some kind of lifting of it on the final day when silverware is handed out was necessary.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 23, 2020, 08:44:07 AM
Quote from: Gold on November 23, 2020, 12:46:31 AM
Quote from: ONeill on November 22, 2020, 11:00:14 PM
That first injury reminded me of McGinley when he broke his neck in the AIF in 03 and played on. Ended up in a neck brace for ages.

That brilliant catch in the second half...my heart was in my mouth.

That catch was INCREDIBLE ...flew into the TV screen ...at such a crucial time too. His neck, wrist and face all fcuked....what a warrior!

Red haired Corner back immense.

Barry Cassidy though...those 2 black cards were criminal. Cavan were rode. Donegal got a free on Neil magee and one McBrearty tapped over after a donegal player missed...for NOTHING!

Delighted they won. And Tipp!

Best GAA day in years.

James Smith is a baller. As is Madden.  What a team

Can't think of many better days from a neutral point of view. Certainly not in a long time. Maybe 2004 quarter finals with Fermanagh shocking Armagh and Mayo beating defending champions Tyrone. To think this season nearly didn't happen and some people arguing it wouldn't mean anything without fans. Yesterday fairly ended that idea!
As good as the scenes was the fans not there was greatly missed yesterday.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on November 23, 2020, 03:23:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2020, 02:57:56 PM

You'd really feel for lads who have given it all up, who have actually worked as hard and contributed as much as anyone else has to that success and they were not allowed be there today. There's probably some lads who took some part in that Ulster campaign for Cavan that were unable to attend yesterday. Outside of the matchday 26 the very first people that should be accommodated to attend are the additional squad members.

I noticed there seemed to be partners of some players there yesterday which is fine in a way but to have the likes of those people there ahead of actual squad members is totally disgraceful. Surely some kind of lifting of it on the final day when silverware is handed out was necessary.

It's a ridiculous rule to not allow extended panelist attend provincial finals.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Taylor

Dublin 1/100 for the semi final.

I dont think I have ever seen such a price at this stage of the competition - in fact in any competition or any sport at this stage

LaurelEye

Quote from: Taylor on November 23, 2020, 04:46:08 PM
Dublin 1/100 for the semi final.

I dont think I have ever seen such a price at this stage of the competition - in fact in any competition or any sport at this stage

Not even Kilmacud had those odds...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Cranfield

Those odds are nuts. What price are Cavan to win?

tbrick18

I never saw that result coming, I thought Donegal had a real chance at the All-Ireland this year but to be honest, absolutely delighted for Cavan.
Sheer hard work, desire to win and some extremely talented players meant Cavan totally deserved the win.
Could the fairytale continue?
I'm starting to get the feeling this year could be one of those rare occassions where the underdog triumphs. We've already seen it with Cavan and Tipp and in various club championships.
Dublin still overwhelming favourites, but write Cavan off at your peril now.

BennyCake

Watched it again. Cavan totally shut Donegal out. Brennan, McHugh and McBrearty were hardly in the game at all. McBrearty got 2 from play during that 10 minutes first half (black card). Brennan one point early on. Barely seen them after. Murphy was nullified too.

Donegal got 3 scores second half. One from play and two very very soft frees.

Cavan had to work hard for their scores, but they look controlled in possession, and fully deserved the win.

One thing missed though. Cillian Brady could have got red, swung the elbow and caught Brennan early second half.

The 2 black cards screwed Cavan. Donegal got 7 points in 10 minutes and Gallagher had a goal chance. More than half their scores came in those 10 minutes. Thankfully it didn't prevent a Cavan victory.

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on November 26, 2020, 04:02:39 PM
Watched it again. Cavan totally shut Donegal out. Brennan, McHugh and McBrearty were hardly in the game at all. McBrearty got 2 from play during that 10 minutes first half (black card). Brennan one point early on. Barely seen them after. Murphy was nullified too.

Donegal got 3 scores second half. One from play and two very very soft frees.

Cavan had to work hard for their scores, but they look controlled in possession, and fully deserved the win.

One thing missed though. Cillian Brady could have got red, swung the elbow and caught Brennan early second half.

The 2 black cards screwed Cavan. Donegal got 7 points in 10 minutes and Gallagher had a goal chance. More than half their scores came in those 10 minutes. Thankfully it didn't prevent a Cavan victory.

The Brady elbow probably balanced itself out with the McGonigle one, both could easily have been red.